Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2010, 02:31 PM   #1
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
China and India to dominate education e-books

http://www.universityworldnews.com/a...10121022040248
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 AM   #2
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: divisive reader
Very interesting link, thank you.

"... China's digital publishing industry is booming with a mammoth US$12 billion output in 2009 ..."

"... over 40 companies are manufacturing e-readers in China ..."

"... Chinese textbook publishers are using the same standardised format, unlike the different standards hampering the e-book market elsewhere in the world ..."

"... On average, e-books are 50% to 60% cheaper than the print version ..."
boxcorner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:56 PM   #3
injapan
Addict
injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.injapan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11, Kobo Arua 2 and iPad Air 3
interesting article
injapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 06:48 AM   #4
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Even more interesting when you look a bit further than that single article by an eBook evangelist... every other source I looked at, shows eBook sales of around 4 million (3.82 to be more precise) so far in 2010. Now someones figures must be a bit distorted as I somehow doubt sales with an average book price of $3000 (do the math).

Most analysts say the market is growing but, like all other countries, the eReader price needs to drop a little further to fuel serious growth.

Now if he's talking about hardware then again that isn't China's publishing industry but hardware business... and much of the manufactured product is for export.

Nice article but distinctly wooly in hard fact if you try to cross-ref elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxcorner View Post
Very interesting link, thank you.

"... China's digital publishing industry is booming with a mammoth US$12 billion output in 2009 ..."

"... over 40 companies are manufacturing e-readers in China ..."

"... Chinese textbook publishers are using the same standardised format, unlike the different standards hampering the e-book market elsewhere in the world ..."

elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
boxcorner
»(°±°)«
boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boxcorner ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
Even more interesting when you look a bit further than that single article by an eBook evangelist... every other source I looked at, shows eBook sales of around 4 million (3.82 to be more precise) so far in 2010. Now someones figures must be a bit distorted as I somehow doubt sales with an average book price of $3000 (do the math).

Most analysts say the market is growing but, like all other countries, the eReader price needs to drop a little further to fuel serious growth.

Now if he's talking about hardware then again that isn't China's publishing industry but hardware business... and much of the manufactured product is for export.

Nice article but distinctly wooly in hard fact if you try to cross-ref elsewhere.
Irrespective of any arithmetic travesties, I find it very interesting that China's digital publishing industry is booming so.

I kind of assumed that most of the e-book readers used in the West - like so many other things, such as my Sony readers - are made in China, but what I found intriguing is that so many companies are manufacturing readers in that part of Asia, alone.

Whether or not education e-book prices need to drop further, to fuel serious growth of digital publishing in China, is far too hairy a subject for me to dream of commenting on. However, perhaps some other contributors will feel qualified to throw more light on the mammoth subject.

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-21-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:42 PM   #6
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When someone is making claims that are based on arithmetic statements then dismissing them in a cavalier fashion, when they are the main point of the article, seems a little disingenuous. It also tends to obfuscate the actual level of China's "booming" emarket, clear facts tend to help with this sort of information... if you can't even get your figures remotely right then what does that say concerning the veracity of the conclusions...
Old 12-21-2010, 04:28 PM   #7
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
When someone is making claims that are based on arithmetic statements then dismissing them in a cavalier fashion, when they are the main point of the article, seems a little disingenuous. It also tends to obfuscate the actual level of China's "booming" emarket, clear facts tend to help with this sort of information... if you can't even get your figures remotely right then what does that say concerning the veracity of the conclusions...
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow you. Who is this someone to whom you are referring? Who do you think is making claims that are based on arithmetic statements and then dismissing them in a cavalier fashion, disingenuously? I trust that you aren't referring to me, because I haven't made any claims, consequently, I don't see how I could possibly dismiss them as you say. Look, I am not claiming anything here, least of all any knowledge about publishing education e-books in China. In post #2, I simply quoted points that I found interesting. I don't claim them to be true - just interesting. If you doubt the claim(s) made by the author in his article about China's digital publishing industry then it would be useful if you were to provide some clear or hard facts of your own to substantiate your view, instead of referring readers here to, dare-I-say woolly, cross-references elsewhere.

Last edited by boxcorner; 12-21-2010 at 05:07 PM.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
DavidI
DavidI began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle(s)
Quote:

Where exactly are you getting your figures? According to this article Amazon is expected to sell 5 million Kindles this year alone (estimated by Citigroup, Barclays Capital, BGC Partners LP and ThinkEquity LLC with other analyst projecting up to 8 million Kindles). It has also been reported that Apple is selling 4.5 million iPads a quarter (according to Tech CNN). This only takes into account two retailers. Maybe your sources are a little off, because I'm sure you would agree that more ebooks are going to be sold than ereaders, so your 4 million may be a bit low.
DavidI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
Quote:
To me, this is enough to explain why e-books is booming in those countries.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #10
elcreative
Wizard

Read the thread, including the article linked by the OP at the beginning. This is what we've been talking about, not Kindles, iPads or any other thing dominating in the US and the West in general... the article related to China and India! And I was casting doubt on the quoted figures because they didn't make any sense...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidI View Post
Where exactly are you getting your figures? According to this article Amazon is expected to sell 5 million Kindles this year alone (estimated by Citigroup, Barclays Capital, BGC Partners LP and ThinkEquity LLC with other analyst projecting up to 8 million Kindles). It has also been reported that Apple is selling 4.5 million iPads a quarter (according to Tech CNN). This only takes into account two retailers. Maybe your sources are a little off, because I'm sure you would agree that more ebooks are going to be sold than ereaders, so your 4 million may be a bit low.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #11
elcreative
Wizard

Read what I wrote... the someone is the person who wrote the original article... why do you take comments that are clearly nothing to do with you, so personally. I also said it was interesting and then clearly explained why I thought the article was flawed as the figures didn't make sense. And what is much harder than a quote of $12 billion of business for 4 million books... you don't need a calculator to end up with an average of $3000 per book which, as I said, doesn't make sense.

None of this has anything to do with you except that I found your dismissal of the arithmetic not making sense being unimportant but the "booming" sales are important when the only evidence of these sales, in the article, is the numbers which are clearly flawed.

Quote:
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't follow you. Who is this someone to whom you are referring? Who do you think is making claims that are based on arithmetic statements and then dismissing them in a cavalier fashion, disingenuously? I trust that you aren't referring to me, because I haven't made any claims, consequently, I don't see how I could possibly dismiss them as you say. Look, I am not claiming anything here, least of all any knowledge about publishing education e-books in China. In post #2, I simply quoted points that I found interesting. I don't claim them to be true - just interesting. If you doubt the claim(s) made by the author in his article about China's digital publishing industry then it would be useful if you were to provide some clear or hard facts of your own to substantiate your view, instead of referring readers here to, dare-I-say woolly, cross-references elsewhere.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:24 PM   #12
Tom Swift
Addict
Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tom Swift ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (plus lots of older devices)
I am currently living in China, about an hour from Shanghai. When you go to the big computer malls, you see lots and lots of eink book readers for sale, in different sizes and price ranges. However, the overall price is still much higher than in North America. I talked to a vendor there who was showing me the latest model and he admitted that no foreigners ever buy book readers in China due to the high price (still about US $300 and up) compared to North American prices. He said that he hopes the manufacturers will start to drop the prices so he could sell more. With the arrival of the iPad, the newest status device, I have a feeling that eink devices will start to fade, especially due to their high prices. I hope the companies that sell them start to drop the prices dramatically or else they will become marginalized. It is too bad they kept the prices so high, since they had a nice head-start on Apple. Short-term greed is pretty common in China, instead of long-term thinking.
I was looking at a nice model but they are setup so there is no English options, just Chinese. Too bad. If the prices were to drop, I might rethink getting one. They make some nice ones here.
Tom Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 04:00 AM   #13
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
... the someone is the person who wrote the original article... .
In post #6 you wrote, "When someone is making claims that are based on arithmetic statements then dismissing them in a cavalier fashion, when they are the main point of the article, seems a little disingenuous."
I did not dismiss any claims by the author of the article in a cavalier fashion, disingenuously.

What I wrote in post #5 was, "Irrespective of any arithmetic travesties, I find it very interesting that China's digital publishing industry is booming so."

Irrespective of means regardless of. So, I did not dismiss or deny, or suggest that any arithmetic statements should be forgotten, nor did I claim that they were correct.
Quote:
... why do you take comments that are clearly nothing to do with you, so personally ...
You said that someone dismissed the arithmetic statements in a cavalier manner, disingenuously. Presumably that someone isn't the someone who wrote the article, so which other someone were you referring to? Disingenuous means lacking in candor, or giving a false appearance of simple frankness. Candor means honest, or sincere expression.

Quote:
... you don't need a calculator ...
I presume the you in this case doesn't refer to me, rather it means someone - but I guess not the same someone who wrote the article, because that's a different someone. Oh well, whoever this someone is, and apparently it's not me, so I suppose it must be another someone, presumably the the same someone who dismissed the statements, whoever that someone is.

Quote:
... None of this has anything to do with you ...
Oh good, so it has to do with someone else.

Quote:
... except that I found your dismissal of the arithmetic ...
Oh, so some your comments were directed at me after-all, not someone else.

Quote:
... why do you take comments that are clearly nothing to do with you, so personally ...
Well I suppose because they were directed at me. Oh no, I remember now, they weren't anything to do with me, rather they were to do with someone else.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:51 AM   #14
elcreative
Wizard

Boxcorner, as you are determined to reduce everything to the lowest common denominator (originally an arithmetic term), let's just agree to differ from each other... you don't understand the main point I was trying to make and the rest of this is just fluff with no relevance to the topic. I have better things to do than keep discussing ever finer pointless nit picks.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:40 AM   #15
boxcorner
»(°±°)«

Quote:
... you don't understand the main point I was trying to make ...
You have absolutely no idea what I do, or do not, understand. I find that assertion equally offensive and ridiculous as some of your other ones, such as your suggestion that I was being disingenuous. Yes, of course I would be more than happy to agree to disagree with you. Equally, had you wanted to discuss the substance of the article, then I would have been more than happy to have done so, but please don't patronise me. Kindly save your supercilious comments for someone else.