Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 04:12 AM   #1
BestBester
BestBester began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Exclamation best 13 inch device for technical pdf with light

Hi.

I'm searching for a 13 inch ereader device to study my technical PDFs. I don't need necessary to take notes with a stylus (but it's a plus for me). But it's essential that It has backlight do I can read in the dark (I know there aren't big ereaders with front light yet).

I have been thinking about:
- iPad Pro 12.9" (perfect to take notes with Notability an Goodnotes 5 apps) but thinking in my eyes health I would prefer an eInk reader.
- Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro (but I didn't know if it has backlight).

And I don't know if there are another alternatives.

Could you please help me?

Thanks.
BestBester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 04:20 AM   #2
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The Onyx Boox Max 2 Pro does not have any built in lighting - you need an external light source to read it.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-22-2019, 04:45 AM   #3
BestBester

Should I consider 10 inch eraders if I need light?

I've seen Onyx has presented new Boox Note Pro 10.3" at CES 2019 (Las Vegas) with front light and with separated sets for warm and cold light. But it will not be available until April 2019.

Old 01-22-2019, 04:58 AM   #4
BestBester

Could some 10.3" ereader user say me if PDF looks fine in that size?

New Note Pro screen has 1872 x 1404 pixels...

But Max 2 Pro looks amazing for reading technical PDFs.
I'm very confused...

Old 01-22-2019, 07:50 AM   #5
BestBester

Note: the files I need to read are not books scanned in PDF format, are pdf created from some word processor with some graphics (see attached file).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MobileRead.pdf (199.6 KB, 431 views)
Advert
Old 01-23-2019, 01:38 AM   #6
BestBester

Lightbulb best 10.3 inch device for technical pdf (not scanned) with light

So the new question is:
- What is the best resolution 10.3 inch device for technical pdf (not scanned) with front light?
- Do A4 PDFs look fine in a 10. inch ereader?

Thanks.
Old 01-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #7
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
You need to be clear about whether you want a tablet or an e-ink ereader. If you want the latter, the lighting is FRONTLIGHT not backlight. I'm not sure if there are many modern e-ink readers of that size, so you may be better off with a tablet.

However, I'm not an expert about what is on the market right now. Hopefully someone who knows more will soon pop along.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 01:41 AM   #8
BestBester

Sorry, I wanted to say "ComfortLight" or warm light adjustment.

So the new question is:
- What is the best resolution 10.3 inch device for technical pdf (not scanned) with "ComfortLight" or warm light adjustment.?
- Do A4 PDFs look fine in a 10. inch ereader?

Thanks.
Old 01-24-2019, 02:42 PM   #9
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I don't read PDF's on my reader, which is just a 6", but you're right to go for a larger model, like a 10" for this. The readers in the videos are E-ink, so I guess that's what you're looking for. The larger readers showcased in those videos seem to do what you want, but I have no personal experience with them.

Frontlighting and Comfortlight are two different things. The kindle paperwhites and all lit E-ink readers have frontlighting (only tablets and computers are backlit), but they don't all have Comfortlight. Comfortlight is the ability to filter out blue light, turning the screen an amber/reddish hue. Very few ereaders have this as yet, I don't think any of the kindles do.

Let's hope someone who knows the current market better will be along to help.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:49 PM   #10
BestBester

Thanks.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Have you seen this thread? You may find it useful:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=311585

This thread is a little old but has some useful pointers.

Last edited by BookCat; 01-25-2019 at 12:52 PM.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:40 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post

Frontlighting and Comfortlight are two different things. The kindle paperwhites and all lit E-ink readers have frontlighting (only tablets and computers are backlit), but they don't all have Comfortlight. Comfortlight is the ability to filter out blue light, turning the screen an amber/reddish hue. Very few ereaders have this as yet, I don't think any of the kindles do.

Frontlighting and Comfortlight are probably the same thing. The difference is between Comfortlight and Comfortlight Pro.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:08 AM   #13
BestBester

Lightbulb

Thanks for all your answers.
I have a Kobo Aura One 7.8" screen with ComfortLight PRO.

I need an eReader with these settings:
- Frontlight with adjustable light temperature.
- Screen size (almost) 10.3".
- Great resolution.

I'll use it for read A4 size PDFs (not scanned books, created digitally with some software and they include tablets, text and graphics) see attached file.

I don't care cost.

Note taking is not necessary.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Example.pdf (209.1 KB, 361 views)

Last edited by BestBester; 01-26-2019 at 04:58 AM.
Old 01-26-2019, 10:38 AM   #14
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Frontlighting and Comfortlight are probably the same thing. The difference is between Comfortlight and Comfortlight Pro.
Very few ereaders have any kind of warm light adjustment, but most have frontlight.

This is splitting hairs and not helping the OP.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:13 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by BestBester View Post
Thanks for all your answers.
I have a Kobo Aura One 7.8" screen with ComfortLight PRO.

I need an eReader with these settings:
- Frontlight with adjustable light temperature.
- Screen size (almost) 10.3".
- Great resolution.

I'll use it for read A4 size PDFs (not scanned books, created digitally with some software and they include tablets, text and graphics) see attached file.

I don't care cost.

Note taking is not necessary.
Until this year there was no e-Ink device that meets your specifications. The closest is BOYUE Likebook Note shown in our wiki. It was the only 10.3" E Ink device with a front light. The Next one down is 9.7" with poor resolution. There are none anywhere near that size that can vary the temperature. See Blue-light exposure in our wiki.

There is a new device just released that does do what you want. It is called the BOYUE Likebook Mimas.

Dale

Last edited by DaleDe; 01-26-2019 at 12:21 PM. Reason: found the specs on a newer device.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote