Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-28-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
What about library management of PHYSICAL books

Does anyone add their physical library to their Calibre system? How well does it work? Drawbacks?

TIA
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #2
TdeV
Dabbler
TdeV began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Reject:Lenovo 8.1 tablet Old: Colour Nook, HP Touchpad
Library Management

I meant that I use Calibre for my ebook library. But now I'm wondering whether people also use Calibre to manage their paper book library.
TdeV is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-28-2019, 12:42 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That is what Add from ISBN, Add empty book are about

Back when I joined MR I used Add from ISBN in batches of 10-20 so I could resolve the (metadata) failures before grabbing another stack. I used a Keyboard wedge Barcode scanner (The wedge mode simulates a Keyboard AND allows you to type when you get one that wont read OR before barcodes)
In some case, I used the Search The Internet Plugins Search for images to find a cover that matched my edition.

BTW Add from ISBN also allows you to TAG the batch: Location, owner are possibilities
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:17 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post
Does anyone add their physical library to their Calibre system? How well does it work? Drawbacks?

TIA
When I started using calibre, I saved a .CSV (authors and title) from an existing Excel spreadsheet, and then used the Import List plugin to create 'books' in an Intake library from the .CSV file. I then edited the metadata in the library - subject tags, publisher, series etc before moving the 'books' to the target library.

When I get a new paper book, I add an empty book (Shift+Ctrl+E) with author, title, and series data (if any) and give it #admin-tags of "paper book" and "_new" and add the other metadata, publisher, pubdate, subject tags etc.

allow entry of ISBN when adding empty book.

Downside - calibre won't fetch the book from the shelf - yet

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-28-2019 at 05:20 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you share your paper library with other family members and friends, it's actually nice to have it in Calibre because they can read the blurb about the book on their computer. If you don't share it, I think it is more cumbersome than alternatives, including spreadsheets. Just my opinion. My bro spent countless hours on cataloguing books, albums, DVDs and other stuff rather than spend the time just using them. I kept a list solely for insurance purposes and even stopped doing that since you don't get replacement value (I just use photos of the stuff now) unless it is a separately listed VALUABLE book.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-02-2019, 06:15 PM   #6
MarjaE
Guru
MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MarjaE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: multiple
Quote:
Originally Posted by TdeV View Post

TIA
I've tried that, but typing in the metadata for e-books and articles is painful enough, I'm not typing in the metdata for more hard-copy books unless I find some way to make it less painful.

ISBN is useful when books have ISBNs, but I still have to reformat the authors' names, strip out existing tags, and add my own tags.
MarjaE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:54 PM   #7
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I`ve maintained a database of my pbooks since I was a teen (I started with index cards and moved to digital later). I imported it into calibre using inport list when I became tired of having two book databases.

Having started with writing by hand, I find the data entry fairly painless in comparison.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 06:17 PM   #8
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I do it myself. I've tried out other programs for cataloging them (Spacejock's BookDB, the now-discontinued bookTome, and a few others that are long-forgotten) but were never really happy with them. One day I was wishing there was a program exactly like Calibre for paper books and then it clicked for me.

My method is to add them by ISBN (or "add empty books" for pre-ISBN entries), correct any information where needed, then add empty .paperbook files to all of them. This allows me to use search queries to separate all the paper books off to their own virtual library.

Eventually when I get my living situation sorted out, I'd like to make a custom column that lists exactly which shelf I keep the physical books on. I have memory problems so it'd be pretty helpful.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 02-03-2019 at 06:22 PM.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 09:09 PM   #9
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Eventually when I get my living situation sorted out, I'd like to make a custom column that lists exactly which shelf I keep the physical books on. I have memory problems so it'd be pretty helpful.
It's because you are owned by cats. They want you to think only of their needs.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 07:57 PM   #10
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarana View Post
It's because you are owned by cats. They want you to think only of their needs.
Yup, pretty much.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 11:33 PM   #11
XrXca
Avid Reader
XrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura aboutXrXca has a spectacular aura about

Device: Auro H2O, Kobo Glo x 2, Asus Tablet
I did that almost a soon as I started using Calibre, I had a spreadsheet with all the books in it but it was never up to date.

I added columns, for location, loaned, haveepub, condition & format (Hardcover, Paperback etc.)

I had a small program I wrote so I could drag/drop a link from fantasticfiction or goodreads, and it created a cover and an opf file with the relevant info, prompted me for my custom fields and added it to my "Physical" library. Then on exit waited for Calbre to close and ran an sql query to autoupdate the haveepub column.
I'm pretty sure it wouldn't work since version 3 and as it's been a few years since I bought a "real" book I haven't needed it.

One of these days I need to go through the boxes and boxes of books that haven't been opened since I moved over a decade ago, select ones got unpacked, and the rest sit there.
XrXca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 08:48 AM   #12
travger
Evangelist
travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.travger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: palm tx, Windows7, Galaxy A5
I just made a custom column 'Other Formats'. There I enter 'paper' for physical books, just to remind me that I have one. And 'pdf', 'mobi' or 'lit' -- for formats that I keep off-Calibre but don't want to delete for various reasons. Empty book for paper edition I bother only when it's part of the series. I've quite enough of empty entries for all the novelettes and shorts that are #xx.xx of some series, but bundled in anthology (and I'm not gonna break it up). Or if there is significant difference between ebook and paper, it'd probably qualify for separate entry (like the illustrated edition of Da Vinci Code).
travger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 06:07 PM   #13
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

I see this is an older post...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarjaE View Post
I've tried that, but typing in the metadata for e-books and articles is painful enough, I'm not typing in the metdata for more hard-copy books unless I find some way to make it less painful.

ISBN is useful when books have ISBNs, but I still have to reformat the authors' names, strip out existing tags, and add my own tags.
Sorry to respond after this is older, But I didn't see where someone else didn't type the description, or whatever.

Despite Calibre's wonderful ability to fetch and paste, nowadays I tend to do a lot of simple "copy & paste" mostly to avoid Google & Chrome's interuption's about proving I'm not a bot nowadays when I let Calibre look up even a single book.

I can copy or type the Title name and add the author in a few seconds to Firefox and pull up, as an example, Goodreads for a first published date (which is not always correct but close enough), Amazon for a sometime better description, and tell Google to fetch me another page of any bookcover images. The date I will type in, but if the descriptive text is okay or needs alteration I generally copy/paste it in to "Comments" or drag the text into "Comments". (total of maybe 4 opened pages side by side in the tabs.)

Calibre is wonderful and fast for my needs even when I choose to handle something manually. I rarely type unless I have to as even if I do a screen grab, I can grab an image and use a free online image-to-text and save a lot of time.
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 07:22 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
I have not had to answer I am not a Bot for any of Calibre's built in metadata sources.
(note: I did not tamper with the default time between queries tweak)
Over the first year (2010) I used a barcode scanner and added 910 books in my paperback library. I also had a flatbed scanner for when covers were not found or did not match my edition. I also had to search for many Pre-ISBN books and do those the harder way )
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2022, 08:46 PM   #15
HappyCalibreUser
Enthusiast
HappyCalibreUser began at the beginning.

I begin with 3.1. Until around 2 years ago. Since my Calibre restart slightly over a year ago everytime I use Calibre for a full-use download, a uber-friendly 'pop-up box' when I use Firefox or Chrome informs me that they are protecting me and require proof that a bot isn't trying to connect by selecting similar images that somehow require me to select 3-4 times before accepting my 'proof'... about 5 minutes wasted. I thought it might just be Google Firefox but Chrome does it to me, too.

Anyway, my point for MarjaE or anyone else, I don't have to always type to get the information into Calibre. :/
HappyCalibreUser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library management