Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-22-2019, 09:20 AM   #1
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle app on Samsung Tab
Delays: Calibre selectbooks (not responding)

For the last month or so I am getting a long lag (15-30 sec.) when I am doing an add book operation inside a folder. I long suspected some helper app was involved but I noticed that I have a get a little DOS icon in the tray for a few seconds and if I hover over it it shows a Calibre icon/image and "selectbooks (not responding) on the title bar.

Just curious if there is something I can do to get back to something like a 1 sec. delay on popping inside a folder(?) I did use a helper analyzer a while ago to trim some of the "helpers."
johnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:29 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre does not have any helper program named selectbooks. Its likely coming from something else on our syste, Try running in safe mode and see if it goes away.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2019, 05:57 AM   #3
johnelle
Zealot
johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnelle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I am more convinced that this is in Calibre. My machine is aging but this delay came on in the last few months fairly suddenly and gets slightly longer as the weeks move on...

1) It happens inside the Add Books open file dialog when I am clicking down one level into a folder that contains the actual file I want to load

2) It is clearly context sensitive. If the book is a "new" book it takes 10 sec+ to get into the folder and then select and open the book file. If the book actually exists in the db already its almost instant.

Its as if there is some pre-querying going on in the open file. Also my DB is fairly large and access via share on another local node.
Old 02-08-2019, 06:10 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Did you try running in Safe Mode as previously suggested?

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 06:12 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre is NOT designed to work on a Network Share or NAS Library.
You might get away for a while, then things happen. Some of them BAD.

Please read the FAQ's at the Calibre help site.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-10-2019, 11:33 AM   #6
johnelle
Zealot

Aw shucks

Yeah well thanks for the (unsolicited) advice but I have been running that way for many years. My book files are safely backed up on the NAS and at worst I have to rebuild the DB (never happened).

Virtual storage is current practice and I'm not going backwards for the sake of a single (albeit very useful) program.

Since this is about a local process opening a local file I am pretty sure it has NOTHING to do with the net unless Calibre is hitting the database before the open occurs (i.e. I am still just browsing through local folders at this point).
Old 02-10-2019, 11:35 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The add books dialog is implemented in windows (a stndard indows file chooser dialog), there is no calibre code involved at all.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:46 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Did you try running in Safe Mode as previously suggested?

BR
Well?

The reason it was suggested is because this sort of problem is often caused by third party applets (which have been known to update themselves silently). Running in Safe Mode is a quick way to eliminate some of those factors. If the problem doesn't manifest in Safe Mode then you can use something like CCleaner to selectively disable Startup Tasks, Scheduled Tasks and Context Menu items until you find the culprit(s)

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 02-10-2019 at 04:50 PM.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:59 AM   #9
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you run Calibre in DEBUG mode, then saved and reviewed the log it produces? It may show nothing even if it should (false negative), but doing so is part of due-diligence.

Have you looked in the Windows 10 'Event Viewer' application on the Start Menu for anything suspicious or possibly correlated?

Have you run Task Manager prior to running Calibre and then performing the actions that you described while taking careful note of any DOS Tasks that appear suddenly?
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 06:59 AM   #10
johnelle
Zealot

I have run event viewer etc. (I always suspect windows first). I can try calibre debug mode. Never tried that one. I have always suspect that it is one of those "right click" apps (forget their name) and one of the first things I did was prune them.

It is getting worse (up to 20 secs and multiple clicks to open a file). I have a machine upgrade in process so maybe that will help.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:02 AM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
(I always suspect windows first).
Ain't that the truth.
I have an older XP (Celeron. 1G RAM) machine (I keep it away from the WWW), that runs stuff that won't run in emulation. (same goes for my W7 Laptop), a lot of external hardware is 'not supported' on the newer OS (or Linux)

It now runs as a snail, with only the tiniest of official M$ security updates being applied. I've stripped it down (app wise), cleaned the Registry of broken linkages, and (Not Responding) frequently appears on the titlebar, while there is lots of disk activity.

Do I trust M$ (or any other major), to not 'help convince' me to upgrade my machines/ hardware.
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:58 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnelle View Post
I have run event viewer etc. (I always suspect windows first). I can try calibre debug mode. Never tried that one. I have always suspect that it is one of those "right click" apps (forget their name) and one of the first things I did was prune them.

It is getting worse (up to 20 secs and multiple clicks to open a file). I have a machine upgrade in process so maybe that will help.
Have you tried Safe Mode yet! As suggested by Kovid Goyal in post #2!

Kovid is the creator of calibre, it's thanks to him that you even have it to complain about - you could at least pay him the courtesy of accepting his advice.

And if you don't trust Microsoft, make sure your new computer comes with MacOS or Linux.

BR