Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #16
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Large books are usually set in smaller type, as it makes it easier to page through them.
No. Just no.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 12:11 AM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarmat89 View Post
Large books are usually set in smaller type, as it makes it easier to page through them.
I must admit that in all my decades of reading, I have never noticed large books being set in smaller type. I just checked half a dozen large books I own and I can't seen any real difference in the body font size between those and several short books (dead tree versions). An ebook with it's variable font size makes this a non-issue.

Edit: Correction: I dug my old paperback of Lord of the Rings in one volume. That was set between 8 and 9 pt. according to my trusty em ruler. It was not that easy to read 45 years ago.

Last edited by DNSB; 02-23-2019 at 08:11 PM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 06:39 PM   #18
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No. Just no.
What?

NOOOOOOooooo. Nope, no, no. Nix, nein, nope, not even.

The ONLY reason that "big books" are ever set in small type is to keep printing costs down. It's damn sure not for the reader.

Anyone wanting proof of that, buy the paperback of David Simon's "The Corner" and try to read it, if you have reading glasses. Lotsa luck. I had to buy the Kindle version, because I got motion sickness from moving my head around so much (I have transitional lenses) to try to read the 9pt font.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 02:49 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I must admit that in all my decades of reading, I have never noticed large books being set in smaller type.
Bibles are perhaps the most commonly-encountered example of it. Many of the "pocket size" ones are typeset in microscopic print!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 05:23 AM   #20
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Why all this talk about print books? This thread is about the font size to use in ebooks. Using a smaller body font size in a big ebook "so it's easier to page through" is just crazy.

Of course some print books use small fonts to reduce print costs and/or make the book more portable. But doing the same in ebooks? No, Just no.

Last edited by pdurrant; 02-24-2019 at 05:25 AM.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2019, 01:28 PM   #21
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Why all this talk about print books? This thread is about the font size to use in ebooks. Using a smaller body font size in a big ebook "so it's easier to page through" is just crazy.

Of course some print books use small fonts to reduce print costs and/or make the book more portable. But doing the same in ebooks? No, Just no.
Because someone brought it up, asserting that it was "easier to page through them," and this being a forum about eBooks and eReaders which is populated by READERS, we all had to comment??????

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote