Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 07-29-2017, 06:31 PM   #1
dougfetch2
dougfetch2 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Troubleshooting tips for azk file on iOS

I'm having trouble getting multiple iOS devices to display my azk file that I want to test. I've tested on 3 iOS devices running Kindle app 513.1, same results.

I'm starting with an ePub file.

Previewer makes MOBI fine. No errors preventing it from converting.

I can create the azk file with either Previewer 2.942 or 3.12.0. Same result.

Sideloading is fine. I get that.

When I try to view the book on multiple iOS devices it thinks for a bit then displays

Error
Please remove the book from your device and redownload it frmo your cloud items. If the problem persists, try to deregister your application and register it again.

Is there any good way to debug what is going on? That error is generic. I could try removing chapters one by one and see if anything changes. Erg.

- DF
dougfetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:57 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougfetch2 View Post
Is there any good way to debug what is going on? That error is generic. I could try removing chapters one by one and see if anything changes.
This error might be caused by certain invisible characters in the .opf file. For details see this post.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2017, 10:46 AM   #3
dougfetch2

I tried the hex route too - no go.

After systematicly gutting the book chapter-by-chapter (which felt good) I was left with no content and still the error.

It turns out my copyright metadata I had set in InDesign during the original export had special characters. Once that was gone it was fine. Errg.

Now the table of contents menu item on the left is not active even though there is a TOC file and it is useable in the document. I even compared to a working ePub and all my manifest, spine, guide look right. More searching.

- DF
Old 07-30-2017, 03:33 PM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Sideloading is fine. I get that.
If you're side-loading the azk book directly from your computer to the IOS device, I don't think that works. You must go through iTunes.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 04:06 PM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
It turns out my copyright metadata I had set in InDesign during the original export had special characters. Once that was gone it was fine. Errg.
Was it again U+2028 and/or U+2029?

Quote:
Now the table of contents menu item on the left is not active even though there is a TOC file and it is useable in the document.
If it's an epub3 book, make sure that you have a toc landmarks item in the nav file.
If it's an epub2 file, make sure that your have a toc guide item.
BTW, KindleGen will ignore .opf guide items in epub3 books.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2017, 10:06 PM   #6
dougfetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notjohn View Post
If you're side-loading the azk book directly from your computer to the IOS device, I don't think that works. You must go through iTunes.
Yep, going through iTunes. Used wrong terminology.
Old 07-30-2017, 10:07 PM   #7
dougfetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
Was it again U+2028 and/or U+2029?

If it's an epub3 book, make sure that you have a toc landmarks item in the nav file.
If it's an epub2 file, make sure that your have a toc guide item.
BTW, KindleGen will ignore .opf guide items in epub3 books.
I literally have the copyright 'C' symbol in there. Dumb. I did some work re-doing the TOC-related files and it works now. ePub 3.

Thanks for the suggestions.