Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 11-06-2016, 09:38 PM   #1
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur
GregTheGrate began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Regex Search doesn't search all files in Edit Book

Very often, I find that the Regex search does not search all files for an expression. If I have previously opened files 1 4 and 6 say, it will search those files and no further.

The dropdown is set to search All text files.

In the same session, I have previously changed the dropdown to search Current file only and then changed it back to All text files.

Even if I change the dropdown to Selected files and select all the files, it will still only search those files previously opened.

Can you suggest how I solve the problem?
GregTheGrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 10:04 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I cannot replicate this. Searching with "All text files" always searches all terxt files, regardless of what files are open. THe only difference is that it will search the open/current files first.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2016, 11:44 PM   #3
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur

Further Information

I am searching for this
<p class="calibre12"><span class="calibre10"><span class="italic"><span class="bold">(.+)</span></span></span></p> in the attached file.

The search finds Four in split_007, Five in split_008 Six in split_009, Eleven in split_014 and then circles back to find Four in split_007.

You will see from the screen attachment that these are the files that are open.

When it circles back to split_007 it removes all tabs from the top and only the tab for split_007 shows.

I am using Replace and Find

Is there perhaps a log I can send you.

Also may be of importance, I am on a Mac using version 2.71
Moderator Notice
Removed Copyrighted Material that is in violation of MR Guidelines. This is your only warning.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-11-07 at 3.34.39 PM copy.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	152848  

Last edited by theducks; 11-06-2016 at 11:53 PM. Reason: Copyright © 2008 Long Barn Books Limited
Old 11-07-2016, 01:00 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm confused. If you are using Replace and Find, how can it possibly circle back to a previously opened file, since presumably the text was already replaced there? What is it circling back to?

I suggest creating a extract from the book you are working one since attaching copyrighted files is not allowed here.
Old 11-07-2016, 02:22 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I tried the following test on a short book with five HTML files in it.

Open two of the files:

Find: and
Replace: xxx

Do Replace and Find repeatedly until no more matches are found.

Then close all open files and do a Find for and

No matches are found, thereby showing that all files were processed, not just the two open ones.
Advert
Old 11-07-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'm confused. If you are using Replace and Find, how can it possibly circle back to a previously opened file, since presumably the text was already replaced there? What is it circling back to?

I suggest creating a extract from the book you are working one since attaching copyrighted files is not allowed here.
For the purpose of illustration, I replaced the found text with the same text. It circles back to the first file it checked.

I would rather not attach anything as the moderator has given me a final warning and I don't want to risk excommunication.

This definitely does not happen all the time, in fact, with very few publications indeed. The one that I attached was one of the publications where the replace did not work. I believe the issue to be file-structure based.

I thank you for your attention to this, but would just like to leave it there.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:04 PM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheGrate View Post
For the purpose of illustration, I replaced the found text with the same text. It circles back to the first file it checked.

I would rather not attach anything as the moderator has given me a final warning and I don't want to risk excommunication.

This definitely does not happen all the time, in fact, with very few publications indeed. The one that I attached was one of the publications where the replace did not work. I believe the issue to be file-structure based.

I thank you for your attention to this, but would just like to leave it there.
you can obfuscate a sample. You just cant post a clear copy.

But changing text to itself is not a valid FAIL test . Of course it will find again when it comes around.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:30 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregTheGrate View Post
@GregTheGrate - if you report the problem at Bugs : calibre, you can attach the problematic book, and mark the report private.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 12:47 AM   #9
GregTheGrate
Connoisseur

Accept my smack and do understand....however my point is that there are many other occurrences of what I was searching for in the book, but only these 4 instances showed up. The search should have located about 80 occurrences of the search parameters, but only ever produced 4, those of the files already open.

Last edited by GregTheGrate; 11-08-2016 at 12:49 AM.