Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #961
zvonchica
zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3.4 WiFi
I have a Kindle keyboard 3 Wi-Fi, firmware 3.4 and want to install english version of Duokan. I tried to reset to factory default, but the firmware didn't change. Can anyone put me in right direction regarding how to get a fully funcional Duokan (I just need it for pdf files)? Thank you very much.
zvonchica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #962
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by zvonchica View Post
I have a Kindle keyboard 3 Wi-Fi, firmware 3.4 and want to install english version of Duokan. I tried to reset to factory default, but the firmware didn't change. Can anyone put me in right direction regarding how to get a fully funcional Duokan (I just need it for pdf files)? Thank you very much.
did you try the method on the first post?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #963
zvonchica
zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.zvonchica has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

DL link from the first page is dead, but I did try to install Duokan Lite0814.778.1255.rtm.rar and the installation failed, probably because it is written for 3.2.1 and 3.1 firmware.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:36 PM   #964
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
DL link from the first page is dead, but I did try to install Duokan Lite0814.778.1255.rtm.rar and the installation failed, probably because it is written for 3.2.1 and 3.1 firmware.
what I mean is this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Current Version:Check out this page
To install for the first time:
For Kindle 3.
  1. uninstall jailbreak(if any)
  2. choose update files according to this:
    Spoiler:
    (kindle3.2.1升级包 is for 3.2.1
    kindle3.2.1之前升级包 is for version 3.1 and before
    (files with larger size(131kb) are for 3.2 and files with size 2kb are for 3.1)
  3. copy Dk_Sytem and update files
  4. update using menu>settings>menu>Update your Kindle
  5. choose Duokan Lite (Q) on boot screen.
    (If your Kindle has firmware 3.2.1 then you might need to reset your kindle to factory default before each attempt (see this post)
    If installer method doesn't work for you you may want to try these(for old version: DKlite) , launchpad installer for the new version: DK'12(experimental)
    (installation to fw3.3 is similar to fw3.2 )
    you can find some further discussions about installation on fw3.3 on this thread
Old 01-08-2013, 06:42 PM   #965
zvonchica

This is installation instruction for Duokan lite. The download link from original post (the very first post on this thread) is dead now, but I did try with different version of Duokan lite and installation failed.

For Duokan lite it is necessary to have previously installed launchpad (with uninstalled jailbreak), but for full Duokan 2012 version (from original Chinese website) dated 28.12.2012., user doesn't have to install neither jailbreak nor launchpad.

I'm downloading now this latest version of Duokan 2012 and will see if it is working on firmware 3.4.

To be honest, even if it's working I'm not sure I would manage to navigate through Chinese menu.
Advert
Old 01-08-2013, 07:00 PM   #966
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
For Duokan lite it is necessary to have previously installed launchpad (with uninstalled jailbreak), but for full Duokan 2012 version (from original Chinese website) dated 28.12.2012., user doesn't have to install neither jailbreak nor launchpad.
Duokan lite also doesn't need for neither jailbreak nor launchpad. first step is to be sure to not to have a jailbreak installed on the device.

Launchpad scripts for secondary methods. ie if installer method doesn't work...

Anyway hope you find a way to install.

(BTW: Maybe it is time to update the first post )
Old 01-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #967
zvonchica

To my surprise, everything went fine with installation of latest Duokan 2012. So, for Kindle Keyboard users, firmware 3.4. here's what to do:

1. Copy DK_System folder on root of Kindle
2. Copy three bin files from the Kindle 3.2.1 folder (for kindle 3.3) on root
3. Disconnect Kindle from PC
4. Menu/Settings/Update your Kindle
5. Be patient. It will update eventually.

Now, you will have a dual boot screen, choose Q for Duokan or W for Kindle.

If someone has User Manual in English, it would be great, as this is the furthest I can go. Don't have a clue what to do next, to import pdf books and try to change the language settings (although I believe it would be impossible).

Thanks Thomass for your replies!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:08 PM   #968
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
try to change the language settings (although I believe it would be impossible)
it is possible.
设置: System Settings and on a Kindle Keyboard it has a shortcut alt+sym
语言: Language

Last edited by thomass; 04-05-2013 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added the video
Old 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #969
zvonchica

Great, thank you very much, I switched it to English! Smart layout works like a charm! Is it possible to change character settings somehow - just one ebook in pdf format (out of three, written in Serbian) isn't shown correctly - there are unreadable signs instead of letters "ć" and "č". Is it possible to tweak it somehow in order to show it correctly?
Old 01-08-2013, 08:37 PM   #970
zvonchica

And one more question: I switched it to Kindle OS from Duokan (Menu/Settings/Switch). Now, how to get it back to Duokan? When I turn off and turn on Kindle, I don't have dual boot anymore.

Disregard this question - I figured out I have to restart again and dual boot screen appeared

Last edited by zvonchica; 01-08-2013 at 08:43 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:42 PM   #971
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
And one more question: I switched it to Kindle OS from Duokan (Menu/Settings/Switch). Now, how to get it back to Duokan? When I turn off and turn on Kindle, I don't have dual boot anymore.
menu>settings>menu>restart

or if you use launchpad hack see this post
Old 01-08-2013, 08:46 PM   #972
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Great, thank you very much, I switched it to English! Smart layout works like a charm! Is it possible to change character settings somehow - just one ebook in pdf format (out of three, written in Serbian) isn't shown correctly - there are unreadable signs instead of letters "ć" and "č". Is it possible to tweak it somehow in order to show it correctly?
using a different font may fix this (for example arial)
Old 01-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #973
zvonchica

It was set to arial already. I installed Times New Roman and YuCSwiS and tried them both, but no changes at all.
Old 01-08-2013, 10:34 PM   #974
yiming
Zealot
yiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animalsyiming is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Kindle Touch, PW2, PW5
Quote:
It was set to arial already. I installed Times New Roman and YuCSwiS and tried them both, but no changes at all.
you should try Arial Unicode MS instead of the normal Arial font.
yiming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #975
pharaohseti
pharaohseti began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
"^D W" means "shift d w" and so on..
thanks thomass, this worked!
pharaohseti is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf