Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 01-11-2016, 08:44 AM   #1
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
[Search] Show non-null #desc books only?

I've been trying to perform a search from the GUI's search field that will display all books that have no content in the description field (#desc). Basically I'm trying to limit the books displayed to only those that need that field to be filled out (via cut & pasted metadata from a 3rd party website).

I've tried assorted variants of desc: blank, empty, _empty, etc but the result is always 0 matching books.

The closest I can come is not desc:"Description" which, quite surprisingly, only lists books that actually includes the exact word "Description" in the field (which is placed there by the cut & pasted metadata). So it's the exact opposite of what I want.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 09:00 AM   #2
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
I've been trying to perform a search from the GUI's search field that will display all books that have no content in the description field (#desc). Basically I'm trying to limit the books displayed to only those that need that field to be filled out (via cut & pasted metadata from a 3rd party website).

I've tried assorted variants of desc: blank, empty, _empty, etc but the result is always 0 matching books.

The closest I can come is not desc:"Description" which, quite surprisingly, only lists books that actually includes the exact word "Description" in the field (which is placed there by the cut & pasted metadata). So it's the exact opposite of what I want.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong?

@Sabardeyn:

Assuming that the Description field is a custom column, try: #desc:False

The '#' is in the Search\Lookup Name of any custom column.

DaltonST
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:11 PM   #3
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@Sabardeyn - if you're referring to the built in column then it's name is 'comments' - note, no '#' on built in columns.

Or do it the lazy man's way, viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	376
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	145441

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-12-2016 at 02:01 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:15 AM   #4
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you both for the replies. I have been mistakenly using #desc when I should be using desc. However performing these searches desc:empty, desc:_empty, desc:false right now results in no matching records displayed.

Following BR's suggestion to use the Quality Check plugin, I get a result stating there are 1903 records which have no comments. Sampling those 1903 records, I'm getting the expected results; only records with absolutely nothing in the built-in desc field are listed.

But something is wrong. There appears to be a constant null result on any desc search, regardless of keyword and/or search term used.

This is on a database of Manga. The 3rd Party website where I get info is Bleach's entry at MangaUpdates, is one example entry. Note at the end of the Manga Updates' Description section (top left) of the page, it mentions an award called "Shogakukan". I figured that word was sufficiently unique to perform a quick search with a small number of results. I tried, just to be thorough, desc:Shogakukan, desc:"Shogakukan", and desc:"=Shogakukan"... and each search showed that there was no matching records - despite having 84 Bleach related records, 81 of which include complete copies of the Bleach page from Manga Updates. So there should have been an 81 record match to that search.

Yet I'm getting nothing. I'm going to update Calibre (I'm using v2.40), double check, and then update this message.
Old 01-12-2016, 09:25 AM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
the standard field name is comments

if you have a field desc, it is custom and needs the hash

PS I haven't a clue where I gleaned this info. I think at one time the name showed in either the Template list or the column order list
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Sabardeyn
Guru

Using the right field name, for some strange reason, makes things work correctly. Whodda thunk it?

That resolves things. Thanks theducks and everyone else for the assistance.
Old 01-12-2016, 02:17 PM   #7
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
PS I haven't a clue where I gleaned this info. I think at one time the name showed in either the Template list or the column order list
It's called Comments in Metadata Edit dialogue, the Advanced Search (binoculars to left of search bar) offers 'comments' in the pull down list of column names.

IMO the phrase "Advanced Search" is something of a misnomer, it is more like a "Search Wizard". "Advanced" suggests complexity, tortured syntax, and obscure semantics, whereas most Advanced Searches can be done by clicking a few buttons

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
description, search