Notices

Closed Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 03:06 PM   #1
k2uskindle
k2uskindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Need help getting better font sizes on my new Kindle PW

Hi everyone,

I actually like my new Kindle Paperwhite, but have one issue: font sizes. I don't understand why the paper white has so many microscopic font sizes and so few reasonable font sizes. It's as if it was developed for people who use a magnifying glass in order to read.

I am middle aged and pretty presbyopic so on my Nook Touch use the second to largest font size, which is perfect. But on the PW, the second to largest font is too small, and the largest is too big.

How would I use the program Caliber in order to reformat my books to give me better font size options? Ideally, I would like a font size between the second to largest font and the largest font.

I've never done this before using caliber, so would appreciate detailed instructions. Is there a magic font rescaling set of numbers that would give me the options I want?

Thanks so much for your help!
Old 11-01-2012, 03:21 PM   #2
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Best font size for "old" eyes

Quote:
Originally Posted by k2uskindle View Post
I actually like my new Kindle Paperwhite, but have one issue: font sizes. I don't understand why the paper white has so many microscopic font sizes and so few reasonable font sizes. It's as if it was developed for people who use a magnifying glass in order to read.
I have "old" eyes like you. I find Level 7 using the Helvetica font gives the best results.

Try it and post your results here.
Advert
Old 11-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
k2uskindle
k2uskindle began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I have "old" eyes like you. I find Level 7 using the Helvetica font gives the best results.

Try it and post your results here.
It's still a tiny bit too small, would love to figure out how to use Calibre to increase the 7 font size.

Anyone?
Old 11-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
7hir7een
Reader of Books
7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.7hir7een can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Basic (11th gen)
The base font size in Look & Feel is probably what you're looking for. I've never used this because I use small font sizes, so I don't have personal experience with the option or know what value will work for you. You can always just experiment with one book file with different numbers and see what looks good to you!
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #5
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You might get a better response if you post your question in the Calibre forum on Mobileread. Searching that forum will probably result in an answer as well.
Advert
Old 11-22-2015, 06:46 AM   #6
tiandijie
tiandijie began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Hi buddy,

I typically had the same problem just like yours, and here is my way to solve this issue: tweak each book individually.

first you should get an epub file (if you are buying books from Amazon, then download it to your PC, which is an azw3 file, then use calibre to strip out epub file (i'm 100% sure you can find lots of tutorials on this issue so i will save my word here).

next you should download a program called Sigil. This is a program that helps you edit epub files. Feed Sigil your epub files, and you will see at the left side there are whole bunch of html files and folders. One folder is called "style", and click that folder will reveal you a file named "XXXX.css". this is the thing you will spell the magic. click it to open up, search for "p{", you will see this brace hold some codes. add this one into them: font-size:0.85em; (include that semi co). save and quit Sigil. Then transfer this epub file to mobi or azw3, put into kindle, the font will be jurst perfect. the catch is that for Kindle OS, it imcrement the font size too drastically ,so the tiny font is too tiny and big font is too big. what you are doing by imbuing this "font-size:0.85em;" is to make the font 85%big as the default one so the big font is no longer too big. of course you can change to other size, like 0.8em or 0.75em. Hope this will solve your problem. It did give me perfect reading experience with bookerly font.
Old 11-22-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
You can hack the font size without jail-breaking.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=256969
Old 11-22-2015, 08:03 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
tiandijie--As Rizla points out you can change font sizes on the Kindles--but I'm pretty sure the original poster has already had an answer to his question or no longer needs an answer--you were responding to a three year old post.
Old 11-22-2015, 09:05 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Non-JB font hack aside, the original advice to the OP is still applicable -- simply reconvert with the appropriate font rescaling options.
Or use the calibre editor which can edit AZW3 directly.

All three are IMHO better than repeated lossy conversions.

Moderator Notice

Either way, it is extremely unlikely that the OP is still interested in an answer 3 years later.

When you tried to post, you should've seen the following warning:
Quote:
Old Thread Warning
This thread is quite old and may contain outdated information. We recommend that you begin a new discussion if you like to talk about a similar topic. Of course, you may also proceed and reply here.
Please do not perform acts of necromancy on an old thread without a very good reason.

Thread

Closed Thread

Tags
fonts, kindle paperwhite