Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #526
ic0n0klast
ic0n0klast began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1, iPad Mini 2
Am I supposed to have to restart EVERYTIME I open a new book for this to work?
ic0n0klast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 07:05 PM   #527
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@iconoklast
After reading what you are doing and comparing to my PW, everything matches except for the name of the cover images in the cover cache folder....my files mimic yours but do not have the '_raw_' part in the file name. I sideload all of my books from Calibre, I don't know if that is the difference.
When you go to your 'home' screen and use cover view, do the covers render correctly?
I'm not sure what is going on...this is usually a straight forward, no-brainer hack. As painful as it sounds when you are so close, you might uninstall the screensaver hack using the uninstall.bin file and start again. I'll try to look back through what you and twobob discussed and see if fresh eyes can spot something.

No, once it is up and working, all you have to do is open a new book for 10-20 seconds.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 07:09 PM   #528
ic0n0klast

OK quasi-success. Sort of. It is showing a cover, but it is for a book I opened like 30 minutes ago, before I deleted everything and tried your suggestion to rename the autoreboot file as "cover". The older book cover now displays as my screensaver, but it doesn't change to the current book I'm reading (nor any of the other ones I've opened since that one).
Old 04-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #529
ic0n0klast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@iconoklast
After reading what you are doing and comparing to my PW, everything matches except for the name of the cover images in the cover cache folder....my files mimic yours but do not have the '_raw_' part in the file name. I sideload all of my books from Calibre, I don't know if that is the difference.
When you go to your 'home' screen and use cover view, do the covers render correctly?
I'm not sure what is going on...this is usually a straight forward, no-brainer hack. As painful as it sounds when you are so close, you might uninstall the screensaver hack using the uninstall.bin file and start again. I'll try to look back through what you and twobob discussed and see if fresh eyes can spot something.

No, once it is up and working, all you have to do is open a new book for 10-20 seconds.
I sideload all mine from Calibre as well. All covers render correctly in cover view. I will attempt the uninstall and start again, as per your suggestion. Fingers crossed.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:16 PM   #530
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@iconoklast
Just for fun, try putting an empty 'pinfo' file next to the empty 'cover' file and see if your personal info gets rendered.
Advert
Old 04-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #531
ic0n0klast

Quote:
@iconoklast
Just for fun, try putting an empty 'pinfo' file next to the empty 'cover' file and see if your personal info gets rendered.
By "empty pinfo" do you mean the same process as the "cover" one, just named "pinfo" instead? And by "next to" do you mean dropped in the same linkss folder as "cover"?

(Sorry, but despite having been using computers and other people's hacks for years, you might have to spell it out for my n00b brain. Also... I don't want to screw up the kindle because I'm in the middle of a really good book. )
Old 04-07-2013, 07:22 PM   #532
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Yep and Yep...(the spoilers at the first post explain what and where)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:00 PM   #533
ic0n0klast

OK, well, this just isn't working. I officially give up. Thanks for your help anyway, though. It's nice to be able to troubleshoot with someone else who knows what I'm talking about.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #534
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!

Sorry I couldn't find the problem....touch back when you see NiLuJe around.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:45 AM   #535
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Quote:
Inside the screensaver hack's zip file, right next to the install.bin is an uninstall.bin file...NiLuJe always includes one.
Indeed. I actually *did* unpack the file and look for the uninstall before I made that claim, but for some darned reason I didn't see it. My problem is fixed, I'll update my post accordingly.

Thanks for your help.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:57 AM   #536
PeterBr
Enthusiast
PeterBr began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Mini Retina, iBooks on Mavrericks
Screensavers didn't work after 5.3.4 update - now fixed

The issue: The firmware update to 5.3.4 got me and the screensaver didn't work anymore.

The help: GoSharks pointed out that the jailbreak survived the update. This is correct. IxTab amended this that the dev certs (installed automatically if you use his jailbreak) get lost, but shouldn't affect the links screensaver hacks.

The solution: I uninstalled the linkss screensaver hack with the original uninstall bin and then installed it again. It is probably not necessary to reinstall the python package, but I did that during my attempts at resurrection before.

Anyway, after restarting the paperwhite there was the Screensavers message and yes, screensavers worked again. There was much rejoicing.

Thanks to all who helped and made this software possible.

Last edited by PeterBr; 04-09-2013 at 07:04 AM.
PeterBr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:17 AM   #537
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
I'm sure I've listed that solution before, (sorry not been on here for a few days else I'd have said) though it could have been after a different firmware update.
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:49 AM   #538
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
I'm sure I've listed that solution before, (sorry not been on here for a few days else I'd have said) though it could have been after a different firmware update.
Did you index that earlier post (or this one) in the prefix index pages?

If you didn't index it, that may be why it wasn't found.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:51 AM   #539
Akirainblack
abibliophobic
Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Akirainblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV jailbroken
No idea, KNC1, sorry not sure I can add to the index pages, can I?
Akirainblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:53 AM   #540
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akirainblack View Post
No idea, KNC1, sorry not sure I can add to the index pages, can I?
anyone can - not just MR members, **ANYONE**
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, python, screensavers, touch