Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 01:52 PM   #1
daithi81
daithi81 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Need help using PDFRead

I posted this in the thread above, but I have gotten no response, so maybe no one has seen it:

My PDF>LRF conversions for PRS-505 tends to create portrait documents that are pushed to the left, with a big blank space to the right. Other than that, the formatting is great. How can I correct for this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00064.JPG
Views:	537
Size:	341.4 KB
ID:	37448  
daithi81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 04:42 PM   #2
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
What kind of PDFs are you working with? Do you know anything about how they're made?
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 05:00 PM   #3
daithi81

No, I'm afraid I don't. It's a PDF version of a book I have. Although this problem occurs with any PDF I try.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'kind of PDF', either. I didn't realise there was more than one type!
Old 10-14-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Are these PDFs from scans? (Perhaps that's what Elfwreck was asking...) Have you tried PDFLRF?
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM   #5
daithi81

No, the books are not scans.

The program looks promising, but the attachments are pending?

EDIT: I found the file. Will try it out.

Last edited by daithi81; 10-14-2009 at 05:43 PM.
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 06:06 PM   #6
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
PDFs act very differently depending on how they were made. It doesn't much matter while you're reading them in Acrobat Reader or ADE, but if you try to convert them to anything else, the technical side of things shows up fast.

The biggest difference is between image PDFs and text-based ones, and most scanned PDFs are just images; they don't convert well to anything because there's nothing to convert except a JPG or TIFF image.

If the original PDF was created on a letter-sized page with large margins to allow the text to fall into a book-sized area, and then cropped, the conversion program might keep part or all of the original page size, which looks like it might be happening here.

If you open it in Acrobat Reader, you can go under File-->Properties, and check the Description tab; it says what program made the PDF. That's not always useful info, but sometimes warns of potential problems.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:11 PM   #7
daithi81

Actually that PDFlrf worked out well. The bottom of the page extends a bit into the other, but other than that it works great.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:30 PM   #8
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
If they're not scans, you might also consider soPdf, which will give you much smaller file sizes than PDFLRF. (I find PDFLRF works better with scanned documents.)
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 09:33 AM   #9
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by daithi81 View Post
I posted this in the thread above, but I have gotten no response, so maybe no one has seen it:

My PDF>LRF conversions for PRS-505 tends to create portrait documents that are pushed to the left, with a big blank space to the right. Other than that, the formatting is great. How can I correct for this?
I can create well-behaved .lrf ebooks, but don't own a Sony Reader to actually test it out, but I offer you two ebooks created by PDFRead using:
1. prs-505-p Protrait profile with default other settings (see attached image)
2. prs-505 Landscape profile with landscape-half layout override.

Please ensure you can convert a very basic ebook like the one attached, then experiment on more advanced settings.

However, if you still can't get this to work, just place an empty file named 'debug' in the installation directory of PDFRead so that after any conversion the extracted images are retained.

Upon inspection of same, see if there is a bottom footer or page number or border that stops PDFRead from cropping right up to the text.

Also, check the size dimensions of the images to ensure they are within the Sony's maximum size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead_default_lrf.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	37533   Click image for larger version

Name:	PDFRead_landscape-half_lrf.jpg
Views:	541
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	37534  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ebooktest.pdf (867.6 KB, 701 views)
File Type: lrf ebooktest_default.lrf (131.7 KB, 449 views)
File Type: lrf ebooktest_dpi200.lrf (132.5 KB, 445 views)
File Type: lrf ebooktest_landscape-half.lrf (276.3 KB, 454 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-16-2009 at 01:13 PM. Reason: typos
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote