Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #31
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
I just tested it with a couple rtf files that I had loaded.

They look fine. The only weird thing I noticed was that the page count was inconsistent. When I first opened one of the files up it said I was on page 1 of 4. I advanced the the next page and it said I was on page 2 of 78, then 3 of 100 something, and so on.
After a half dozen page turns it seemed to figure out what the correct page count was and stopped changing.
I suspect that what may be going on is this: there is NO page-count information stored in the RTF file, so to "count the pages" the RTF displaying program has to actually FORMAT the entire document before it knows how many pages there are. It starts doing that, but doesn't get very far before the first page is displayed and the CPU shuts down (to conserve battery). Then, you turn the page, and the CPU runs long enough to format some more, and the page count goes up. Lather, rinse, repeat... and eventually it gets the whole document 'formatted' and knows how many pages there are.

Or maybe not. But that's my guess.
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 05:14 PM   #32
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
That is interesting, so ODT is a supported format. PowerPoint is likely supported as well I would bet, it was on the old V3 although it was a bit fussy on complicated files. It supports office files.

Dale
This is documented in the manual.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #33
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by slayda View Post
This is documented in the manual.
Yes PPT is mentioned in the manual but so is RTF. ODT is not mentioned but makes sense as an office file. DOC is also mentioned in the manual but I wonder about DOCX and for that matter PPTX. The fact that ODT works opens up possibilities.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #34
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Yes PPT is mentioned in the manual but so is RTF. ODT is not mentioned but makes sense as an office file. DOC is also mentioned in the manual but I wonder about DOCX and for that matter PPTX. The fact that ODT works opens up possibilities.
Any chance to test it on the units some members got? That way would clear lots of questions
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:39 PM   #35
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
New firmware upgrade coming

Dear All:

A new firmware upgrade is coming very, very soon for the Pocket PRO. It will deal with hyperlinks, a search capability, and more.

I will not give a date as dates can slip too easily. Please let me just say it is eminent. The factory has heard you and is making things even better.

WHEN it is actually here and up on our website I will post!
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2009, 06:41 PM   #36
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Great info, thanks Robert.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 06:54 PM   #37
Chiron
Fantasy & SciFi Reader
Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chiron has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro
Oh nice, i still havent got my colored PP and a firmware update is comming to fix those "bugs"
Chiron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 07:17 PM   #38
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
I hope it is for the EZreader also. Please say it will be.

Chuck
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 09:57 PM   #39
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Quick question for those of you who have used a PP/v5. When you switch it off/back on after reading does it start on the last page you were reading (like a Sony or Kindle) or does it reboot and take you to the library/folders (like the Gen 3 & Opus)?
There is little reason to turn off the PP, but if you do so then when you reboot you get back to the root of the file system. Not in the directory (folder) or ebook you exited from. The last ebook you were reading should be number one in "Recent files" and it should have your last location memorized even if you turn off inside the ebook. At least it did when I tried turning off inside an ebook, although I would normally exit the ebook and then turn off - just to be sure to save the last read location.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 10:18 PM   #40
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarateMonkey View Post
I've also noticed that a couple odt files I moved over show up in the Pocket Pro as rtf.
I tried a couple of .odt files and they do not show up at all. This is the expected behavior if the format is not supported, the PP does not include unsupported file types in its ebook listing. I am using the latest 2009/09/01 firmware.

Did you perhaps convert from .odt to .rtf using (say) OpenOffice? Or rename .odt to .rft without converting?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #41
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
I tried a couple of .odt files and they do not show up at all. This is the expected behavior if the format is not supported, the PP does not include unsupported file types in its ebook listing. I am using the latest 2009/09/01 firmware.

Did you perhaps convert from .odt to .rtf using (say) OpenOffice? Or rename .odt to .rft without converting?
I'll have to double check when I get home.

I bet calibre is doing something. The two odt files I have were created in open office. I imported them with calibre, and converted to epub. When I got the Pocket Pro I just copied the entire calibre directory over since I knew I wanted to play around with different file types. When I click on the files in calibre they still show as having an odt and an ePub version, but I wonder now if it isn't converting to rtf for it's own purpose.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 12:40 PM   #42
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Two separate firmware upgrades coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
I hope it is for the EZreader also. Please say it will be.

Chuck

Within the next few days we will post on our website two new firmware upgrades:

One is for the 5 inch Pocket PRO

One is for the 6 inch EZ Reader Basic
Old 09-09-2009, 01:15 PM   #43
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Robert thank you that is great news

Chuck
PS please understand that I very much understand software and know it isn't and never will be perfect. And when I post a problem I see it is not to put down the programmers but it hopefully help them I locate possible problems.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:34 PM   #44
ekaser
Opinion Artiste
ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.ekaser has a propeller beanie that spins backward.

Device: Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Please let me just say it is eminent.
You mean it's GREAT? That's wonderful!

Oh, no, wait a minute, you must have meant it's COMING SOON, 'imminent'.

Griff's been slack on you lately, SOMEONE's gotta take it up!
ekaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2009, 03:57 PM   #45
Robertb

ekaser rips Robert B spelling!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaser View Post
You mean it's GREAT? That's wonderful!

Oh, no, wait a minute, you must have meant it's COMING SOON, 'imminent'.

Griff's been slack on you lately, SOMEONE's gotta take it up!
Griff got me good yesterday!! But, now that I know how to spell imminent I feel happier. By the way... Griff is STILL driving around on a motorized toilet! I guess they do that in Arkansas!!

Please note that "eminent" or "imminent" I did post today some exciting new firmware upgrades that ought to please and will be up on our website tomorrow.

Now, pardon me while I try to get a dictionary for the EZ Reader so I can learn to spell. I would buy a Theasaurus but they went extinct about 5000 years ago or so!