Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 07-11-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook Gen3 and now Kindle 3
Cybook Gen 3 Heeelllpppp! Please

Had my Cybook for 2 days and there are lines, vertical, covering the bottom half of the screen. Reset does not alter the situation.

The select and page turn buttons, front bottom left cluster, do not work.

It has been carried in my hand inside the leather cover. Unless it is made of egg shells I don't see how I could have damaged the screen.

Help

Please

Peter
peterbbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Charge it. If that doesn't help, the screen controller has failed. Not your fault - just one of those things that unfortunately happens (and generally does happen when a device is new). It's a warranty repair. Luck of the draw, unfortunately.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-11-2008, 02:26 PM   #3
peterbbb
BoyReader
peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.peterbbb has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OK. It is on charge now.

Thanks.

Beginning to calm down a little. Many thanks, Harry.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:31 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hopefully it's just a flat battery. Until you've "cycled" the battery a few times, the battery meter is extremely inaccurate.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:13 PM   #5
peterbbb
BoyReader

Odd that it should behave like this????

Why would it be battery?

Peter
Advert
Old 07-12-2008, 12:32 AM   #6
pakiyabhai
Zealot
pakiyabhai began at the beginning.

Device: pakiyabhai
happened with mine too ,when the battery is running low ,soemwhere near 10% and it starts behaving like this
pakiyabhai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 03:44 AM   #7
peterbbb
BoyReader

Sadly, charged up but the lines remain whether the cybook is on or off. So hope it is simply a quick replacement item from e-readers.
Old 07-12-2008, 03:48 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Sorry to hear that, Peter. Should be a straightforward replacement, since it failed so soon after purchase. Hopefully your next one will be fine. This isn't a very common problem, but it does, unfortunately, happen to new devices from time to time.
Old 07-23-2008, 04:33 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Could this be another of these mysterious screen breaks? Peter, can you post a photo of your Gen3 so we can see these lines?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:05 PM   #10
ErwinOtten
Addict
ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ErwinOtten has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cybook G3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to hear that, Peter. Should be a straightforward replacement, since it failed so soon after purchase. Hopefully your next one will be fine. This isn't a very common problem, but it does, unfortunately, happen to new devices from time to time.
Don't want to be rude, but I’ve heard that answer from you before. Costted Ortep 120 euro though, so I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.

Would like to hear from Peter if he really gets his repair for free.
ErwinOtten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 05:11 PM   #11
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErwinOtten View Post
Don't want to be rude, but I’ve heard that answer from you before. Costted Ortep 120 euro though, so I wouldn't be so sure if I were you.

Would like to hear from Peter if he really gets his repair for free.
Doubt if it will be free. There's no real way to prove that the customer *didn't* break it. And, as has been mentioned elsewhere, there's a strong possibility that all display "repairs" are done by swapping out a newer unit and then sending the broken one back to the hardware manufacturer (Netronix) as the display and it's attached controller module are not easily removed/replaced. And I bet Netronix's fee is controlling the "cost of repair".

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Electronic failures of the screen controller (as opposed to mechanical breakage) should certainly be covered by the warranty. A screen controller failure would be the most obvious cause of vertical or horizontal lines on the screen - it should that certain "rows" or "columns" of the pixel matrix have got stuck "on" (or "off") and that's "electronic".
Old 07-26-2008, 01:22 PM   #13
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Electronic failures of the screen controller (as opposed to mechanical breakage) should certainly be covered by the warranty. A screen controller failure would be the most obvious cause of vertical or horizontal lines on the screen - it should that certain "rows" or "columns" of the pixel matrix have got stuck "on" (or "off") and that's "electronic".
Mechanical breakeage is covered also if it is not caused by abnormal usage.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 03:23 PM   #14
peterbbb
BoyReader

Ok. Replacement device from ereaders. Great service. Reasonable contacts with me after emails etc.

New device arrived and seems ok except charging which I think/hope is sorted now. Did not seem to want to charge. Went to 20% then ran out of power when reading after a few minutes. Left it on all night. Had to then connect to the computer before it would switch on. But now seems ok. So am reading and flipping pages to see.

Harry, is this behaviour normal?? (The Cybook behaviour, not mine!!!)
Old 07-27-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I don't know. All I can suggest is that you wait and see how it behaves over time.