Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 03-24-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet with Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro
Kindle Fire doesn't display some images in MOBI file

The attached MOBI file was created using a custom recipe I am writing. Among other things, it contains an editorial cartoon (as an image).

If I open the file from within Calibre, I can see the image just fine. However, when I put the file on my Kindle Fire, it doesn't display the image.

This isn't true of all images - the file is part of a larger recipe I'm working on that includes daily comics from the same source, and they display just fine. Images embedded in articles also display properly (or at least some of them do - I haven't tracked through exactly which ones display and which ones don't.

But the Fire seems to have trouble with this particular image (and the corresponding image for other days' downloads). Anyone have any ideas what might be different about this class of image that makes it not display on my Fire?
Attached Files
File Type: mobi bg.mobi (69.8 KB, 309 views)
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:19 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
There is something seriously wrong with this MOBI. K4PC does not recognize it as a MOBI (ignores it completely). MobiPocket Reader opens it, but does not display any of the large images. Mobi_Unpack only extracts the 5 "small" images (the cover, twice, an opening double quote, an author portrait, and BG as an image) - the same ones that MobiPocket Reader finds. Calibre displays (presumably) all the images, but a MOBI to ePub conversion looses all but the small images again.

Have you tried writing the recipe to ePub and then converting to MOBI?
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-25-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
RobFreundlich
Connoisseur
RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobFreundlich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet with Calibre Companion and Moon+ Reader Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
There is something seriously wrong with this MOBI. K4PC does not recognize it as a MOBI (ignores it completely). MobiPocket Reader opens it, but does not display any of the large images. Mobi_Unpack only extracts the 5 "small" images (the cover, twice, an opening double quote, an author portrait, and BG as an image) - the same ones that MobiPocket Reader finds. Calibre displays (presumably) all the images, but a MOBI to ePub conversion looses all but the small images again.

Have you tried writing the recipe to ePub and then converting to MOBI?
Thanks, wallcraft! Your noticing that only the small images came through and your mention of dumping the MOBI were very helpful - they got me thinking in terms of debugging, which I hadn't realized I could do before.

I used calibre-debug to dump the mobi and looked at the results. One of the things it produced was an HTML file containing the output. In that, I was able to see which images actually d/l'd and which didn't (it matches your observation, but it's always good to see it myself). I then looked at the original article, and have realized that images with relative URLs will download (and therefore work) and images with absolute ones will not.

So this now becomes a question of why that is. Since that appears to be a recipe issue, not a device issue, I'm going to start a new thread in the recipes forum and see what I can find out.

Again, thanks!
RobFreundlich is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
image, kindle fire, mobi