Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 08-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #601
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Maybe I'll try adding the books to my list of books read, but add an (abandoned) after?
That is indeed what I do. It's essentially a rating of zero.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 12:41 PM   #602
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Yes, definitely a rating of zero or at least "don't bother". I haven't been rating books read this year, just trying to keep up with keeping track of them at all. But I suspect for next year's challenge I'll be more descriptive. I suspect I won't have any trouble knowing which books/authors I don't want to read any more, but none the less it's good to keep a record.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #603
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I just finished The Lightening Thief (Percy Jackson & The Olympians, Book #1), my 35th book of the year. Up next is War of Honor (Honor Harrington, Book #10). At over 1,000 pages, this may take me a while.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #604
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
War of Honnor will take you quite a while, I have read it myself however you will enjoy the whole thing cover to cover, its a great book. As is most everything else David Weber has written in my humble oppionion. I have heard about the Percy Jackson books, however they seem to be priced a little too high for me. I prefer to spend less for my books not more.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #605
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
^I would just go to the library for the Percy Jackson one. I've been looking at reading it sometime.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #606
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
War of Honnor will take you quite a while, I have read it myself however you will enjoy the whole thing cover to cover, its a great book. As is most everything else David Weber has written in my humble oppionion. I have heard about the Percy Jackson books, however they seem to be priced a little too high for me. I prefer to spend less for my books not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
^I would just go to the library for the Percy Jackson one. I've been looking at reading it sometime.
We bought the Percy Jackson boxed set from BAM's (Books-A-Million) online store, last year, I think. It was a gift for our eldest. It was $30 at the time and is only $20 now.

As to Honor: Book 10 will be a first time read for me. This is where I burned out last time around, which is why I decided to take a break by reading Percy. My plan, now that I've read all of the Honorverse anthologies, is to switch between Percy and Honor until I finish both series. Since there are 8 more Honor books (including 4 sub-series books) and 4 more Percy Jacksons, I'll be reading 2 Honors to 1 Percy.

Once those are done, I'll still have The Black Dagger Brotherhood and The Hollows series to read, in order to complete my challenge this year. I have no idea whether or not I'll make it. If I don't finish a series this year it will go on the top of my list for next year; I'm hoping I won't have to do that, however, as I'd like to dedicate next year to all of the freebies I've downloaded since I got my Kindle.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 04:58 PM   #607
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
War of Honor is also where I am up to, coincidentally. I started it back in December, then realised I needed to read the collections first.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #608
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I liked the Honor Harringtion series a lot, although I have never been a fan of short stories, they seem to get good just around the end of the story. I have enjoyed most of the other series that David Weber has written including: Empire of Man, Starfire.

Last edited by jbcohen; 08-04-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #609
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Book number 47 is done. Tom Robbins' Another Roadside Attraction. A shame I ignored reading this one for so long. Such a good book.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 08:30 PM   #610
jbcohen
Wizard

I am going to go back and pick up some more series that David Weber has written that I have not read before. I am going to start by going back and picking up A Rising Thunder, which is a book that I started some time ago but never stuck with reading, hopefully this time I will read more of the book. I am also going to download and read Dahak, Safhold and War Gods own. I would like to be able to say that I have read everything David Weber has written to date before I push on to another author.

Rising Thunder going much better this time around then it went the last time around. I think that I was put off by the fact that Dutchess Harringtion was not arround until later in the book. Steadholder Harringtion seems to be doing a lot of the naration in the book rather than any of the running around which readers are used to seeeing her do from the earlier volumes. Woud love to see Admiral Harringtion get a piece of the action, hopefully she will later on in the book.

Last edited by jbcohen; 08-13-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #611
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if pure quantity of books read were my only goal, I'd certainly be doing quite well. I'm at 81 books right now, and show no signs of slowing down. However, somehow I seem to be resisting reading all those classics I was planning on. Just too caught up in more recent books and especially series. Ah, well. Self-flagellation has never been one of my sins, so I guess I'll just have to take pleasure when I do manage to sneak in a classic. Or maybe I can redefine some of these older SF books as classics? Yeah, that's the ticket. Early Liaden books are definitely classics!
Old 08-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #612
jbcohen
Wizard

I have just finished my fifty-first book and that means in order to reacah my goal of eighty-three I will need to complete 1.6 more books per week until the end of the year a pace that I do not believe that I will be able to accomplish. I still think that Iwill wind up 2012 a tad short of my goal.
Old 08-16-2012, 01:40 PM   #613
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
One hundred and one books read and fifteen abandoned or discarded. Fifty four bought so far this year. Only three hundred and eighteen books left in my "To-Be-Read" folder.
I was doing really well. Down to 315. And then SourceBooks had their Georgette Heyer Birthday week sale.

TBR now back to 361.... a net reduction of 19 for the year so far, and my target is a reduction of 80....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 02:51 PM   #614
jbcohen
Wizard

And I thought I had a huge to be read stack, I'm an amateur next to you pdurrant, my stack is probably around fifteen. At the moment I am working through David Weber's God War series. I got the fourth book in this series as a part of a bundle that I got via the monthly bundle threads and the one problem wsa that I had previously never read any of the God War books so I started off with book one and now I am up to the second book in the series and I am also trying to polish off another of the Outlanders series that I read quite frequently. The Outlanders book, called God War is turning out to be a lot of description and a fair amount of action.

Last edited by jbcohen; 08-17-2012 at 07:38 AM.
Old 08-16-2012, 05:52 PM   #615
CRussel
(he/him/his)

We're all amateurs compared to pdurrant's TBR. And I'm afraid we've done him no good at all on his challenge. But if we help him be strong for the rest of the year, he'll make a serious dent in that TBR. (The Heyers go quickly. All are reasonable length and fun reads.)