Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 10-25-2013, 07:34 AM   #31
bestlem
bestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Oasis
Non Sticky Fonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguil View Post
@Montana Harper - I think that the next update (2.1.5) will address your issues.
I have just bought Marvin on the iPhone today andthe font sizes are not sticky.

How do I check what version I have.
bestlem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:02 AM   #32
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by bestlem View Post
How do I check what version I have.
On Marvin's Home screen, tap the "gear" icon in the top-left corner, then "About Marvin".

For a related discussion, see:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Road...mment-26809818

So, numeric values might be useful.

Honestly, though, folks, I don't get all this yammering about "non-sticky fonts" upon the first opening of a book.

The crucial thing, it would seem, is that once you set up your preferred font size (and everything else) for a book, it remains sticky there. Unlike in other e-readers! Even in my formerly beloved Stanza, fonts in the same book were not sticky between readings. And that is a real issue for me. There is no such problem in Marvin.

When you enter a real-life bookstore or library, do you expect to find all books printed with the same font size? Definitely not.

The big advantage of e-books, to my mind, is that you can easily adjust, with a few button presses, the typography of any book to your liking. And no e-reader is as superb in these customisation options as Marvin is. And, once you set up your preferred typography for a book, it remains 100% sticky there in Marvin.

I truly believe there are far more important issues to be resolved regarding Marvin, than making fonts appear with the same initial size upon the first opening of a book. At least to me, this is a non-issue, or an issue with negligible importance compared to dozens of other issues that deserve the developer's attention at this point.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #33
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
I have now opened a GitHub issue on this:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/198

Once we have numeric values associated with every formatting setting in Marvin, including font size, it will be easier to determine as to why a new book supposedly does not initially open with the same preferred font size.

It just bothers me to hear, over and over again, that "font sizes are not sticky in Marvin", when that's not true at all... They are 100% sticky; what is really meant, is "A new book I open in Marvin does not immediately show my preferred font size." That is how the complaint should be worded...
Old 10-25-2013, 09:51 AM   #34
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Harper View Post
If I'm reading a slew of short stories, having to go through and "push a few buttons" every single time (i.e., every five to ten minutes) is very annoying.
Please see here:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Road...mment-27093021

If Marvin implements "Themes" so as not to understand only font & background colours (that is how Marvin understands "Themes" today), but for "Themes" to include all formatting settings -- then this will resolve all concerns mentioned in this thread.

If a particular font size is associated with a particular Theme -- well, then all you need to do is to push a single button to switch to that preferred Theme of yours.

Even better: you could instruct Marvin to open every new book using your preferred (or simply the current) Theme -- and that would spare you even the single push of a button; every new book would instantly look the way you'd like it to see.

This will only be possible, though, once Marvin understands "Themes" to mean more than just the font & background colour.
Old 10-25-2013, 05:07 PM   #35
bestlem
bestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enoughbestlem will become famous soon enough

Quote:
On Marvin's Home screen, tap the "gear" icon in the top-left corner, then "About Marvin".

For a related discussion, see:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Road...mment-26809818

Honestly, though, folks, I don't get all this yammering about "non-sticky fonts" upon the first opening of a book.

The crucial thing, it would seem, is that once you set up your preferred font size (and everything else) for a book, it remains sticky there. Unlike in other e-readers! Even in my formerly beloved Stanza, fonts in the same book were not sticky between readings. And that is a real issue for me. There is no such problem in Marvin.

When you enter a real-life bookstore or library, do you expect to find all books printed with the same font size? Definitely not.

The big advantage of e-books, to my mind, is that you can easily adjust, with a few button presses, the typography of any book to your liking. And no e-reader is as superb in these customisation options as Marvin is. And, once you set up your preferred typography for a book, it remains 100% sticky there in Marvin.

I truly believe there are far more important issues to be resolved regarding Marvin, than making fonts appear with the same initial size upon the first opening of a book. At least to me, this is a non-issue, or an issue with negligible importance compared to dozens of other issues that deserve the developer's attention at this point.
On Marvin iPhone from settings I see no About Marvin. In settings there is General, MenuServices, Friends and More

I do not want to have to faff around for each book. I want set my font and size once and use it for all books, This is is how it works on all readers I have used Stanza, FBreader, Kobo, etc Marvin is the only one you have toset it for for each book. I somethimes alter font if I am tierd etc and wantmthat chnage for all books or at least consistent so that whne I go back to a book it is not random setting I made weeks ago.

The advantage for ebooks is that you can set them all to the same readable style which you are acusomed to and not have to put up with other peoples e.g. publishers views. So "o you expect to find all books printed with the same font size? Definitely not." Which is a reason ebooks are better you can set the foint size to what I want not the publisher oe Marvin's author. This is one of the reasons pdfs are bad for ebooks.

You do not need these you just need a global font and size

Currently this is the one readson I have found to stick with Stanza
Old 10-25-2013, 06:03 PM   #36
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
On Marvin iPhone from settings I see no About Marvin. In settings there is General, MenuServices, Friends and More
The old issue rears its ugly head again...

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/116

"About Marvin" is there on the "General" tab. You simply need to scroll downwards. (I know... it's not obvious that those panes are scrollable!)

Quote:
I want set my font and size once and use it for all books
Well, if Settings Themes are implemented in Marvin like outlined above, you'll be able to do so.

Quote:
This is is how it works on all readers I have used Stanza
No, definitely not, trust me... You were lucky to have it work for you with your particular books in your particular e-readers... For me, Stanza was not always remembering font sizes neither between various books, nor between various readings or the same (!) book, which I found extremely frustrating. Marvin is the first e-reader I know of which keeps settings 100% sticky between readings, and sticky not for the app, but for each individual book, which I find crucial.

Quote:
I sometimes alter font if I am tired etc and want that change for all books or at least consistent so that when I go back to a book it is not random setting I made weeks ago.
Again, Settings Themes would be your answer. You would simply modify your default Settings Theme, and that change would then be automatically visible in all books.

I'd be extremely upset if Kris removed the current way Marvin treats e-books: with individual settings for every book. Like I said, that's one of the smartest features currently offered by Marvin; a unique feature.

Or, to oblige both of us, perhaps Marvin could offer a switch: "Remember settings on a book-by-book basis? YES/NO" You would select "No", while I would keep it at "Yes" (the current way Marvin operates), and everyone would be happy.

Quote:
Which is a reason ebooks are better you can set the foint size to what I want not the publisher or Marvin's author.
Definitely. But please understand I may not wish to see the same settings for each and every book. That is just your wish. I find that depending on the type of book I'm reading, a (slightly or not so slightly) different typography might be preferable for book A, book B, book C, etc.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #37
bestlem

Quote:
The old issue rears its ugly head again...

No, definitely not, trust me... You were lucky to have it work for you with your particular books in your particular e-readers... For me, Stanza was not always remembering font sizes neither between various books, nor between various readings or the same (!) book, which I found extremely frustrating. Marvin is the first e-reader I know of which keeps settings 100% sticky between readings, and sticky not for the app, but for each individual book, which I find crucial.

Or, to oblige both of us, perhaps Marvin could offer a switch: "Remember settings on a book-by-book basis? YES/NO" You would select "No", while I would keep it at "Yes" (the current way Marvin operates), and everyone would be happy.

Definitely. But please understand I may not wish to see the same settings for each and every book. That is just your wish. I find that depending on the type of book I'm reading, a (slightly or not so slightly) different typography might be preferable for book A, book B, book C, etc.
Yes this is the issue I want it a global setting not by book. Also I suspect this is why I see no issue with Stanza or FBreader over the last 8-9 years. The setting is sticky and global and not per book. I have never seen it chnage
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 PM   #38
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Yes this is the issue I want it a global setting not by book.
Right. It's a legitimate feature request by you. There are various ways to oblige you, as outlined above, so let's hope one of them will be implemented later on.

Quote:
The setting is sticky and global and not per book. I have never seen it change
I have, you know... especially in very badly formatted e-books. It can easily happen for an e-book to employ extra-large or extra-small fonts. Then, if I adjusted those, this would negatively affect all the other books with normal-sized fonts... This was happening to me in Stanza, Kindle... Marvin is the first e-reader for me that prevents this from happening.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:49 PM   #39
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
I have now opened a GitHub issue on this:

https://github.com/kguil/Marvin-Roadmap/issues/198

Once we have numeric values associated with every formatting setting in Marvin, including font size, it will be easier to determine as to why a new book supposedly does not initially open with the same preferred font size.
That's easy. You take a book and set the font size how you want it. You then go into another book and the font size is different because now this other book is using small as the text size or in some cases, x-small. So you adjust for that book and the next book uses the default font size so the font size is off again.

None of this is the fault of Marvin. It's the fault of the eBook. When I have two eBooks using the same font size in CSS, the font size displayed by Marvin is the same.

So what you have to do is just keep adjusting the font size or edit the CSS to fix any font size commands that don't need to actually exist.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #40
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So what you have to do is just keep adjusting the font size or edit the CSS to fix any font size commands that don't need to actually exist.
Not necessarily. And certainly no Marvin user should be required to edit any e-book he or she wants to read.

If numeric values are assigned to the various font size options, then Marvin can approximate the resulting, actually displayed font size, regardless of the CSS used, to the font size set by the Marvin user as preferable.

This is definitely possible to achieve; look at Moon+ Pro Reader on Android.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #41
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Not necessarily. And certainly no Marvin user should be required to edit any e-book he or she wants to read.

If numeric values are assigned to the various font size options, then Marvin can approximate the resulting, actually displayed font size, regardless of the CSS used, to the font size set by the Marvin user as preferable.

This is definitely possible to achieve; look at Moon+ Pro Reader on Android.
Marvin should not be doing what you say it should be. It should be respecting the CSS. If the font size is set to small, then it should display smaller then no font size. If the font size is x-small, then it should display yet even smaller. The problem is that sometimes a specific font size is properly used. For example, sometimes small is used for simulated smallcaps. Having small display the same or close to the size you use to read with, you lose the smallcaps. The way Moon+ does it is wrong and if Marvin was to do things that way, I'd have to report it as a bug.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:16 PM   #42
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Lightbulb

Marvin would only be doing it optionally, not by default. The default could be just as it is now. But, if someone prefers to open all books instantly overriding their display with his or her favourite settings theme (including one's favourite font size)... why not? As you can see from this thread and others, the demand for such an optional feature seems very high.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:19 PM   #43
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Marvin would only be doing it optionally, not by default. The default could be just as it is now. But, if someone prefers to open all books instantly overriding their display with his or her favourite settings theme (including one's favourite font size)... why not? As you can see from this thread and others, the demand for such an optional feature seems very high.
And then you might not know when a book has specific font sizes on purpose other then someone know really knowing how to make an eBook. It's not hard to tap a few times to change the font size.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:29 PM   #44
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel

Quote:
And then you might not know when a book has specific font sizes on purpose
If Marvin is transparent about the display of books, there will be no problems. The default would be the same it is today. Some users might prefer to override a book with their favourite settings theme, and for them, there might be a "Default" or "Disable theme" button, allowing them to return to the default display of a book with a single press of a button. (Essentially, that's what "publisher settings" are today on an even deeper, "100% HTML default" level.)

Quote:
It's not hard to tap a few times to change the font size.
I for one agree with you, but that's just me. I've been saying the same thing in this thread, but got slammed for it. I think it's important to recognize that for some Marvin users, even "tapping a few times" is too much trouble.

Most importantly, obliging those users would not take anything away from you, me, or anyone else. It would be a purely optional feature: opening a book, instantly overriding its display with one's favourite settings theme. No one would be forced to use this feature.

(I believe this might be called a crucial principle when adding new software features: they should not be added so as to take previous, trusted functionality away from the users. Which is why Windows 8 has been such a debacle...)
Old 10-28-2013, 10:30 AM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
If Marvin is transparent about the display of books, there will be no problems. The default would be the same it is today. Some users might prefer to override a book with their favourite settings theme, and for them, there might be a "Default" or "Disable theme" button, allowing them to return to the default display of a book with a single press of a button. (Essentially, that's what "publisher settings" are today on an even deeper, "100% HTML default" level.)

I for one agree with you, but that's just me. I've been saying the same thing in this thread, but got slammed for it. I think it's important to recognize that for some Marvin users, even "tapping a few times" is too much trouble.

Most importantly, obliging those users would not take anything away from you, me, or anyone else. It would be a purely optional feature: opening a book, instantly overriding its display with one's favourite settings theme. No one would be forced to use this feature.

(I believe this might be called a crucial principle when adding new software features: they should not be added so as to take previous, trusted functionality away from the users. Which is why Windows 8 has been such a debacle...)
This is (IMHO) a baby feature. This is a feature that's meant to baby the user. I do not want baby features in Marvin.

Tags
layout, settings