Notices

Old 09-07-2017, 07:21 AM   #346
Nicolas F
Zealot
Nicolas F doesn't litterNicolas F doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
For this, I can't find where the text you quoted is. It isn't in the default.po and I can't find it anywhere in the plugin code.
Sorry, it seems I'm not explaining myself properly... I'm talking about the option labelled "Collect News clippings". I wanted to know what it does compared to fetching annotations in order to translate it properly.

I've found a translation still missing: "scanning…" in find_annotations.py line 203 is not translatable

Attached is my translation for french.

Thanks for your work!
Attached Files
File Type: zip Annotation-FrenchTranslation.zip (9.6 KB, 24 views)
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:21 AM   #347
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Touch, Glo, Aura H2O, Glo HD, Aura ONE, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
Sorry, it seems I'm not explaining myself properly... I'm talking about the option labelled "Collect News clippings". I wanted to know what it does compared to fetching annotations in order to translate it properly.
Ah, I understand. To be honest, I didn't really know myself and had to read the code. It appears to be collecting annotations from books with the genre set to "News" differently. These are the new articles downloaded using calibre. And seems to be only for Kindles.
Quote:
I've found a translation still missing: "scanning…" in find_annotations.py line 203 is not translatable
I remember looking at that line. I wonder why I skipped it.
Quote:
Attached is my translation for french.
Thanks.

And here is a beta with the French translation added. That means we have three languages, Italian, German and French.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Annotations-beta.zip (687.4 KB, 27 views)
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 09:39 AM   #348
dsestero
Enthusiast
dsestero began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ok David, I attach a copy of part of My Clippings file (it is very very long). Of the annotations found in it, only the one corresponding to the book/author 'Learning Puppet 4: A Guide to Configuration Management and Automation (Rhett, Jo)' are fetched. The others no, (although those other books are not even seen by Calibre as on the device - this is the hard part to understand) and at the moment I can't understand why but I promise I will look deeply the next week. Any help is, of course, very welcome!

Ciao,
Dario
Attached Files
File Type: zip My Clippings.txt.zip (1.9 KB, 27 views)
dsestero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:49 AM   #349
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsestero View Post
Ok David, I attach a copy of part of My Clippings file (it is very very long). Of the annotations found in it, only the one corresponding to the book/author 'Learning Puppet 4: A Guide to Configuration Management and Automation (Rhett, Jo)' are fetched. The others no, (although those other books are not even seen by Calibre as on the device - this is the hard part to understand) and at the moment I can't understand why but I promise I will look deeply the next week. Any help is, of course, very welcome!
The other books not matching to books in the calibre library explains it. The plugin is only looking for annotations for books it thinks are in both the calibre library and on the device. To check this, go to the device list and find a book that should be matched and has annotations. Right click on it and select the option to match the book. A search dialog will be shown. Use this to find the matching book in the calibre library. Select the book and press OK. Then right-click on the device button and choose "Update cached metadata on device". The annotations import should now work for this book.
Old 09-07-2017, 10:18 AM   #350
dsestero
Enthusiast

OK, thanks, now I learned how to match books on the device and in the Calibre library: that works as you explained. But still, even if now the books are matched, the metadata re-read from the devce, and even after disabling cache in the plugin and restarting Calibre these annotations are not yet shown. Why?
Dario
Advert
Old 09-07-2017, 10:42 AM   #351
Nicolas F
Zealot
Nicolas F doesn't litterNicolas F doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Ah, I understand. To be honest, I didn't really know myself and had to read the code. It appears to be collecting annotations from books with the genre set to "News" differently. These are the new articles downloaded using calibre. And seems to be only for Kindles.

I remember looking at that line. I wonder why I skipped it.

Thanks.

And here is a beta with the French translation added. That means we have three languages, Italian, German and French.
Thanks for the clarification
I will leave my translation as is unless another french speaker appears with a better translation!

And I had missed it before, but I see you've made the change needed to allow the translation of "All style" and "All reader" but forgot to make them actually translatable. (line 89 and 90 of find_annotation.py)
Attached is my updated translation
Attached Files
File Type: zip Annotations-FrenchTranslation2.zip (9.6 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by Nicolas F; 09-07-2017 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Found a missing translation
Nicolas F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #352
schnesim
schnesim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2. Gen
Quote:
The debug log has:

Code:
DEBUG:   31.5  ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt ERROR: Error trying to read clippings file: coercing to Unicode: need string or buffer, NoneType found
That suggest the clippings file is empty or missing. And the plugin expect the clippings file to be called "My Clippings.txt". The clippings file you posted is "my_clippings.txt". Did you rename the file or is this what it is called on the device?
The "my clippings" file on a German Kindle is actually called "Meine Clippings.txt".

I just changed the according string in the .py file to "Meine Clippings.txt" and it finally managed to import something.

Now comes the but. It only found a fraction of the actual annotations and I see a ton of the following statements in the debug output:

Quote:
DEBUG: 31.0 ParseKindleMyClippingsTxt ERROR: could not detect type of record 'Markierung Pos. 44-46 | Hinzugefügt am Sonntag, 14. Dezember 2014 22.38 Uhr GMT+01:01'
I attached the debug file. It looks like we're finally on the right track.
Attached Files
File Type: zip debug.txt.zip (11.0 KB, 26 views)
schnesim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:15 PM   #353
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnesim View Post
The "my clippings" file on a German Kindle is actually called "Meine Clippings.txt".

I just changed the according string in the .py file to "Meine Clippings.txt" and it finally managed to import something.
That's interesting. It doesn't seem to be translated for the French or Italian. Anyway, I can add a list of names to check for and load the one found.
Quote:
Now comes the but. It only found a fraction of the actual annotations and I see a ton of the following statements in the debug output:

I attached the debug file. It looks like we're finally on the right track.
There's a space at the end of the string for "Markierung". That will break that part of the search. I'll fix it tonight.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:18 PM   #354
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicolas F View Post
Thanks for the clarification
I will leave my translation as is unless another french speaker appears with a better translation!
Yes, if someone actually uses it, they might be able to express it better.
Quote:
And I had missed it before, but I see you've made the change needed to allow the translation of "All style" and "All reader" but forgot to make them actually translatable. (line 89 and 90 of find_annotation.py)
That's one of the things I forgot about. Those two strings are used in comparisons in the code. I have to check if translating them breaks something. And if it does, change some of the other code.
Quote:
Attached is my updated translation
Thanks.
Old 09-07-2017, 08:23 PM   #355
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsestero View Post
OK, thanks, now I learned how to match books on the device and in the Calibre library: that works as you explained. But still, even if now the books are matched, the metadata re-read from the devce, and even after disabling cache in the plugin and restarting Calibre these annotations are not yet shown. Why?
Drats, I was hoping that would fix it. I'll have a look at your clippings file and see. But, could you run in debug mode and post the log? That might give a clue as to what is going on.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:05 AM   #356
dsestero
Enthusiast

Thank you David for your commitment,

attached you find a new selection from my clippings file and the calibre log. There you can see that the book 'Ecologia affettiva (Italian Edition)' is annotated (and matched with the book 'Ecologia affettiva' in the calibre library). However, no annotation is fetched for that book. In contrast, the book 'Learning Puppet 4: A Guide to Configuration Management and Automation' if fetched correctly.

Ciao,
Dario
Attached Files
File Type: zip My Clippings.txt.zip (2.9 KB, 26 views)
File Type: zip CalibreLog.txt.zip (8.7 KB, 25 views)
Old 09-11-2017, 10:43 AM   #357
dsestero
Enthusiast

Looking at the log it seems that the book 'Ecologia affettiva (Italian Edition)' is not matched while I can assure that, after following the procedure you described above, it is now visualized as matched between the device and the Calibre library.
Do you have any idea why?

Ciao,
Dario
Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #358
schnesim
schnesim began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2. Gen
More progress. I removed the whitespace you mentioned and now the plugin manages to find about 100 annotations.

The problem is, according to the debug log the my clippings file has 447 annotations which seems correct, it's definitely more than 100. And the log shows all sorts of errors like

Quote:
DEBUG: 156.7 Unable to parse entries from 'My Clippings.txt'
DEBUG: 156.7 title==Kulturgeschichte der Neuzeit (German Edition)
DEBUG: 156.7 Found book_id=-16

DEBUG: 156.7 Unable to parse entries from 'My Clippings.txt'
DEBUG: 156.7 Clipping is not a highlight or note

DEBUG: 156.7 title==How Hard Can It Be?
DEBUG: 156.7 Title not found in books on device
Attached Files
File Type: zip log.txt.zip (14.7 KB, 25 views)
schnesim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 04:47 AM   #359
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara,Kobo Aura One, XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, I have a question about relation between plugins. Would it be posible to call the Annotation plugins from other plugin (namely Kobo Utility). I usually lose notes because I don't remember to run the plugin after finishing the book before removing it. Before trying to analyze this plugin (as I've never checked the code), I wanted to ask davidfor's opinion about it (opinion, hands to develop it will be mine )
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 05:18 AM   #360
Terisa de morgan
Wizard
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara,Kobo Aura One, XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Or another option would be to start it automatically after connecting the device. I don't know, just not forgetting it
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote