Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Marvin

Notices

Old 12-21-2017, 03:07 PM   #1
5111 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/iPhone
Marvin SXS location sync problems.

I recently upgraded to Marvin SXS since the Classic no longer supported Dropbox. I chose SXS over 3 because I read that they were basically the same thing except this one supported side by side. So why not?

I was able to link my Dropbox and add books, but it won’t sync. When I select “sync” it says “You are not logged in to iCloud on this device. You may log into your account from the settings app on your device.” But I am logged into iCloud. I have tried it on my iPhone and I have tried it on my iPad and I get the same error on both.

This was one of the main reasons that I paid for the upgrade, does anyone have any ideas on how to make it work?
5111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #2
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
[QUOTE=5111;3629421]I recently upgraded to Marvin SXS since the Classic no longer supported Dropbox. I chose SXS over 3 because I read that they were basically the same thing except this one supported side by side. So why not?
/QUOTE]

I think you misinterpreted and/or were mislead by Marvin marketing info. The newer versions of iOS have a nice feature to allow two different apps to run side by side on an iPad, provided the apps are built with that feature. Both Marvin 3 and Marvin SxS are, so are iBooks and many other non-ereader apps, like Clock. However, you CAN'T run two instances of the same app side-by-side. Thus, Marvin's developer saw an opportunity to essentially sell Marvin 3 twice to the same customer who want to read two books at the same time side-by-side with Marvin 3. However, if you are not such a customer, I would advise you get a refund of Marvin SxS, and then get Marvin 3 instead. With the free (trial) version of Marvin 3, you can make sure that you have tested out the features (such as sync) before doing an in-app purchase.
cedhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:33 AM   #3
Valkrider
Addict
Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valkrider ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, iPadAir2, PRS600, iPhone 6, iPod, Palm TX
[QUOTE=cedhax;3630630]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5111 View Post
I recently upgraded to Marvin SXS since the Classic no longer supported Dropbox. I chose SXS over 3 because I read that they were basically the same thing except this one supported side by side. So why not?
/QUOTE]

I think you misinterpreted and/or were mislead by Marvin marketing info. The newer versions of iOS have a nice feature to allow two different apps to run side by side on an iPad, provided the apps are built with that feature. Both Marvin 3 and Marvin SxS are, so are iBooks and many other non-ereader apps, like Clock. However, you CAN'T run two instances of the same app side-by-side. Thus, Marvin's developer saw an opportunity to essentially sell Marvin 3 twice to the same customer who want to read two books at the same time side-by-side with Marvin 3. However, if you are not such a customer, I would advise you get a refund of Marvin SxS, and then get Marvin 3 instead. With the free (trial) version of Marvin 3, you can make sure that you have tested out the features (such as sync) before doing an in-app purchase.
This is totally inaccurate. Marvin SxS allows the reading of two pages at a time side by side on the screen, so is ideal for landscape reading on an iPad.

This was NOT a marketing ploy by the programme author but is genuinely useful if you like reading this way.

Please do not post misleading information @cedhax.
Valkrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
cedhax
Addict
cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cedhax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=Valkrider;3630779]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post

This is totally inaccurate. Marvin SxS allows the reading of two pages at a time side by side on the screen, so is ideal for landscape reading on an iPad.

This was NOT a marketing ploy by the programme author but is genuinely useful if you like reading this way.

Please do not post misleading information @cedhax.
Since Valkrider's reply, I double check Marvin SxS description on App Store. Here's what it says in its notes:
(1) the second library and side-by-side reading requires the corresponding Marvin 3 app.
(2) works best on devices that support Split View and Slide Over.

In other words, you don't get the so-called side-by-side reading as defined in the context of Marvin SxS unless you also buy Marvin 3. It means showing the views of two apps running side-by-side, enabled by the then-new features of iOS 10. This matches what I said in my previous posting.

Yes, in landscape mode on an iPad, it is useful to be able to read two columns (or pages) of text (of the same book) on the screen at the same time. But technically, this is called two-column layout, a feature widely available in many ereader apps, including Marvin 3, and is thus not a unique feature of Marvin SxS.

However, Marvin SxS fills a need created by the very restriction of iOS itself -- limitation of running only one instance of any app. In principle, any other reader app foobar can also promote another variation, say, foobarSxS. There is nothing wrong with this approach per se. Unfortunately, this kind of unconventional strategy has led to much consumer confusion historically. It was certainly a confusion to me when Marvin SxS was first released. Apparently, some people are still confused about it.
Old 12-31-2017, 02:02 PM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Marvin SxS supports multiple column view, too. You can change it in the layout settings. It can definitely be used as a standalone ebook reader with all the features of Marvin 3 available (Premium Features already included). In-app purchases don't work with iTunes Family Sharing but standalone Marvin SxS does so it's what I have installed on other family member's iOS devices.

Yes, you do need Marvin 3 if you want side-by-side viewing but it should be noted that this is not simply a two column view. You can actually have two different books open side by side or perhaps the same book but in different locations (e.g. page 1 on Marvin 3 and Appendix on Marvin SxS).

Do you have iCloud Drive enabled on your devices? Even if I was already signed in to my iCloud account, I had to enable iCloud Drive separately.

Mind, bookmarks and annotations won't sync/transfer over from Marvin Classic to Marvin SxS. You'll have to do a backup and restore for that.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:23 PM   #6
cedhax
Addict

Actually, the so-called "side-by-side" reading can work as along as you have two independent apps designed with that feature in mind. For example, iBooks and Bookari, iBooks and Marvin 3.
Old 01-01-2018, 01:49 PM   #7
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
The two versions are essentially identical. If you wish to use the side by side feature you need a second app to read the second book... you can't run Marvin 3 twice. Soooo the SxS app is simply there to provide that functionality if you don't want to rely on those other, inferior apps! You don't need to return SxS unless you really want to.
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:27 PM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedhax View Post
Actually, the so-called "side-by-side" reading can work as along as you have two independent apps designed with that feature in mind. For example, iBooks and Bookari, iBooks and Marvin 3.
Ah yes, this.

I was referring to running two "copies" Marvin side by side (since as mentioned, iOS doesn't support multiple instances of the same app). It's convenient being able to easily transfer notifications, etc. between Marvin 3 and Marvin SxS.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote