Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB622, Nexus7, Sony PRS 350, Tolino und nur noch wenig toter Baum:(
Review 622 / Touch

Hooray, it's there ...

Today my new PB Touch has arrived, and over the next few days, I hope to write a similarly good and comprehensive report on the device as Tuxor has done for the M92 in the "other devices".

From the first impression a great device, fast processor is immediately noticeable, the boot time is about 10 seconds, my old 602 somtimes takes up to half a minute, true "waiting times" I have not (yet) experienced, but until now no large PDFs are involved

First, the most important: THE SCREEN
Hmmm, the Pearl screen of my wifes PRS-350 and my 602 is lighter , although I think the contrast is better than of the two comparators. This matter will probably be cause a few religious wars again, personally I have to test it first a few days before I give a final opinion.
The darker background appears to be caused by the capacitive touch layer. Just before Christmas, I tried the Bokeen Odyssey that has a capacitive screen too, but it was much dark, and less contrast than the 622.

In general, the touch screen, works great, very sensitive and pinch-to-zoom is a nice touch. Marks and handwritten notes do work with my sausage fingers to about 3mm from the edge (no marks in PDFs, no handwriting in DJVUs), the marked pages show up with a thumbnail in the TOC. The same applies to set bookmarks, labels, comments, etc. (can be adjusted). If the zoom level is changed a small icon shows that there is a note (is a bit difficult to recover the correct zoom level, here it would be a good idea if the table of contents shows not only on the page but also the appropriate zoom)
What I alsofind unsatisfactory is the selection of the dictionary. Unfortunately it's not long tap on a word, but you must go the way of menu-> dictionaries.
In addition, PB has touch "hot spots" that seemingly can not be changed easily.
-Top left: the main menu
-Top right: Bookmark
-Center left / right: front page
-Lower left / right: previous page
-Lower center: go to page ...
-Center: Menu
Not really intuitive, and PB known for it's "personalization" of the previous readers definitely a to-do for the developers

What pleases me exceptionally is the "panning" of PDFs. Just back and forth, updating the screen is quick enough to determine where you are on the page when you let go it is a complete refresh. Caution: if you push too wild you'll land on the next page.

The main menu is slightly different than in the PRO series, but in my opinion much more thoughtful constructed, since there are no "Widgets" any more, but a long list of recently read books. The previous arrangement Library / Favorites / notes, etc. is still there, but can be hidden in favor of the book list.

The submenus are then constructed as it is known from the models of the PRO series here, and in the configuration, there is finally "LED on / off" often missing the point
Small flaw in the sub-menus: pages in the book will "wipe" by turned over in the menus I have to tap the arrow keys, there is still need for improvement.

Wi-Fi didn't work ot once, have to look it up in the manual, the various other applications will follow later. In the next few days, I will first load the reader with Calibre, play around a lot and post images and videos (Can someone please explain how I tie-in a youtube video? Best PM solved, THX kacir) and update this first quick shot here.

Short Summary: Too bad this is not the Sony IR Touch, in that case I'd give six of a possible five stars, so there are only four
The FW is much better than any previous first drafts of PB, my complaints are compared to other devices definitely "first-class misery".

Pictures and videos will be posted only in the german section because I don't want to waste server space for unnecessary double postings.

Last edited by troll05; 03-27-2012 at 06:07 PM.
troll05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 03:12 PM   #2
troll05
Harmless idiot
troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.troll05 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Update 1

Reading: Paging speed is really fantastic, even even with full page refresh every time. 602 you had to press the for about half a line before end side, now half a word is sufficient (as long as it' a short word)
The hotspots on the touch are more convenient and practical than I first thought, depending on whether you hold the device with the left or right hand.
The new Adobe Viewer is very good for my personal needs, I have to copy my favorite fonts, but then I think I'll stay with it for the time beeing.
What, despite the great tips with the key bindings for the dictionary on use of the same is still unsatisfactory, the hidden window is still hiding the text so that you'll always have to click a random word just above or below to move the window. Continuous reading with open dictionary as some users would like it is going to be at least cumbersome. Development work required.

FBReader is installed as well, but so far I have only tried it once very briefly, but all the books I have opened wouldn't allow to change the font and default is DejVu Sans

The Cool Reader works in the frame, as you know it from the Pro Series, scroll and menu entries works with touch, zoom and dictionary unfortunately not yet, so he is not an option for now.

I'm not going to try the fbreader180 because I do not like the format and wristshaking is obsolete with touchscreen

After I've worked briefly with the manual (PDF), I must say that the Touch is in that area really groundbreaking, the "panning" of zoomed pages works almost as good as a tablet, you can continuously pan over page boundaries, the zoom level will remainon paging, if you put the notes function on any button, then I think you may work really well, especially since notes will be zoomed to in PDFs from opposed to EPUBs. Paragraphs and line marking works in Adobe Viewer yet, the note I found yesterday was about PDF viewer.
I'm curious whether there will be a 922 in near future too

Videos will follow soon.

Display: This is a little darker display triggered a lively debate in our home yesterday, my wife (Sony PRS 350) found it terribly, but she blamed it on the white frame and black keys, but still had to admit the good contrast.
The evening reading session with a variety of bulbs showed a 7W bulb combined with a frosted glass lampshade is borderline too dark (but for the Sony as well) my 1W LED Clip Lamp is perfect and normals 25W light bulb is really bright enough.

WLAN: Unfortunately it still does not work because because our network ID contains an "&" character , and he complains about a special character. Just tried it in another network and it's ok here. Stupid bug, especially because the 602 had no problems at this point

Music and TTS: Since the Touch has no speaker there will probably be one or the other, who will complain about missing headphones.
I grabbed a couple of in-ear plugs for testing,result: LOUD at the quietest level I still thought my ears might fall off, maybe it's good for a major construction site but for domestic use is not so very useful.
PB may, indeed, aim at older reader/listeners here, which will not need hearing aid then (OK, not nice). Also, I constantly heard a high-frequency beep while the lady thought about the next sentence.
Otherwise, the quality of the TTS engine on the level of the previous models and very useful. There are women's voices in four pre-programmed languages, more is available from the Support for PB

Last edited by troll05; 03-28-2012 at 07:43 PM.
Advert
Old 03-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
preempalver
Connoisseur
preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'preempalver can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: PocketBook pro 603 (Leggo IBS fw PB 2.1.3)
Thanks for posting, Troll05. Really interesting!
preempalver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #4
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Troll, many thanks!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #5
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Thank you for the pix and vid! 2 questions:

There seems to be no pouch for the device, right?
How long is the warranty?

Just curious.
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2012, 04:52 AM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Try this for better operation of dictionary:
If there is menu in Settings screen that lets you redefine keys, as it was in previous models, you might try to assign a key to dictionary access, for example Long Press Back Button.

Could you make a video that quickly goes through all available menus?

In pictures on German thread you show PB622 with a book open. The status line is simple - 4/264 and what I guess is multitasking menu access. What program was used to display text? FBReader or adobereader?
Is it possible to configure the status line to display info like all previous PB models have?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 06:28 AM   #7
troll05
Harmless idiot

@jshzh: affirm, no pouch but sleeves and covers for 611/612 will fit according to Forkosigan
@kacir: THX, good idea. Set it to long press on menü, nov even accidental use is impossible.
Status line in Aobe Viewer is not configurable, normal mode is actual Page number eg. 149/270, but book pages, not calculated on zoom level and you have a pop-up button that switches to date / multitasking menu / battery state for ~ 5 seconds
Touching date opens calender and calculator.
Video will follow soon
Old 03-28-2012, 07:06 AM   #8
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by troll05 View Post
@kacir: THX, good idea. Set it to long press on menü, nov even accidental use is impossible.
What do you mean? That the dictionary does not work at all in this way?
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
What do you mean? That the dictionary does not work at all in this way?
No, on other touch devices like Sony or Kobo you might open the dictionary by accident while paging or if something small (like crumbs) falls on the scren.This cannot happen if you have to press a button to open it.
Downside with this method is: The dictionary will open on the lower part of the page and if your word is on that part you have to select a random word directly above the dic. window (it will then jump to the upper part of the screen, thereafter you can choose the word you like
Old 03-28-2012, 09:37 AM   #10
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for your reply, troll05. It's clear to me what you mean.

As to the downside you mention: apparently the dictionary window is shown on top of the reader window so that part of the text in the reader window is hidden. Is there no possibility to see the two windows side by side? What I mean is: is it possible to keep the dictionary window open while you're reading, and go from page to page in your book without having to move the dictionary window up and down each time? Or would I need to open and close the dictionary each time I want to look up a word?

What I would expect in an advanced reader like this is that I can keep the dictionary open so that all I need to do when I want to look up a word is just tap it. Is that possible at all?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
What I would expect in an advanced reader like this is that I can keep the dictionary open so that all I need to do when I want to look up a word is just tap it. Is that possible at all?
This was possible even on PB302, so I think it should work on PB622.
A friend of mine reads books in English this way.
Dictionary does obscure part of the text, so you need to tap the opposite part of screen when you finish reading the upper part of the screen to move dictionary to upper part of the screen and read text in lower.
On PB302 it is possible to turn pages even when the dictionary is open and I expect it is possible to read the text this way.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 10:40 AM   #12
troll05
Harmless idiot

Hi,
just checked, the downside really is one You have to move the window constantly, it will open on the next page at the same position like the page before, and the text is always partially hidden by it.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:31 PM   #13
Zetmolm
Guru

So you have the choice between moving the dictionary window up and down and up and down, or opening and closing the dictionary each time you want to look up a word.

That's disappointing.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #14
jshzh
Addict
jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.jshzh could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Pocketbook 602 Pro, Kobo Aura HD, LG G Pad III
Does the firmware on the Touch have the PDF and Djvu darkening function?
jshzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:15 PM   #15
troll05
Harmless idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jshzh View Post
Does the firmware on the Touch have the PDF and Djvu darkening function?
Nope, accessing a PDF with AdobeViewer gives no "settings" menu at all, pdfviewer didn't work with the PDFs already on the device (original PB manuals)

For DJVUs no clue, but if I remember correctly this was a function of a third party app by review or some other developer