Notices

Old 06-22-2022, 10:46 AM   #1
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
send to kindle help

hello
i made a small program that auto send to my kindle a few files, untill now i used .mobi and the file sent to the kindle (with email) is correct without problems, from a few days i'm receiving a mail from amazon that tell me the .mobi will be deprecated soon, so i changed the conversion from my program to epub, i get the file but i lose all the chapters section, how i can make it works with epub too?

for conversion i was using something like
(java string)
Code:
"ebook-convert \"" + KINDLEFOLDER + title + ".html\" \"" + KINDLEFOLDER
+ title + ".mobi\" --language english --chapter \"" + xpath
 + "\" --page-breaks-before \"" + xpath + "\""
i replaced the .mobi with .epub but the chapters are lost after sent (if i open the .epub with calibre i get the chapters)

any idea how to solve this problem?
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:52 PM   #2
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I'm not sure epubs work natively on kindles. I think if Amazon email them to your kindle they get converted.

Maybe rewrite your program to convert mobi into azw3. Or convert using Calibre, which will entail downloading the book to your computer.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-01-2022, 06:10 PM   #3
Trigun
Connoisseur

every time i send a mobi file with kindle mail i get a email with something like "we are removing the mobi support, we will accept only epub"
but epub sucks :-D (not the format but the conversion)
when i send epub sometimes i get an error with something like we fail to send the file, maybe error, i retry the same file and sometimes works sometimes not... like every conversion have a different result... affidability 0
Old 07-01-2022, 10:36 PM   #4
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Download the mobi file to your computer using the Transfer Via USB option on Amazon's Content and Devices page. Learn how to strip DRM. Then convert to azw3. Sideload the azw3 to your kindle.

Amazon are retiring mobi. It will no longer be available from their website. It isn't a very good format anyway.

As far as I'm aware, epubs still don't work on kindles.

Last edited by BookCat; 07-01-2022 at 10:41 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:58 AM   #5
Trigun
Connoisseur

there isn't drm on that file (i make it from an html i write)
kindle mail doesn't accept azw3 only azw, and that are retired too like mobi
maybe i should just wait and continue to use mobi until it doesn't works anymore, and maybe when they disable it epub works better
Advert
Old 07-02-2022, 03:19 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
If you have access to a PC, I would use Sigil with the EpubCheck plugin to check your epubs before sending them. It will correct some issues such as missing doctypes which even EpubCheck no longer complains about but Amazon seems to have issues with.

Edit: This is based on my exerience with both downloaded and created by calibre epubs and has only been tested on ~16 epubs. YMMV. Caveat emptor.

Last edited by DNSB; 07-02-2022 at 03:22 PM. Reason: Adding limited experience disclaimer
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 03:17 AM   #7
Trigun
Connoisseur

i'll try it :-)
Old 07-08-2022, 04:09 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
If you have access to a PC, I would use Sigil with the EpubCheck plugin to check your epubs before sending them. It will correct some issues such as missing doctypes which even EpubCheck no longer complains about but Amazon seems to have issues with.

Edit: This is based on my exerience with both downloaded and created by calibre epubs and has only been tested on ~16 epubs. YMMV. Caveat emptor.
Given that you can send from Calibre, I suggest using Calibre's editor with epuibcheck to check the ePub before they are sent.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2022, 04:16 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Given that you can send from Calibre, I suggest using Calibre's editor with epuibcheck to check the ePub before they are sent.
Kovid does not believe in DOCTYPE so calibre does not check for those and epubcheck no longer flags missing ones as an error or warning. So why do some corporations still insist on seeing them? I suspect inertia more than malice.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:25 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Kovid does not believe in DOCTYPE so calibre does not check for those and epubcheck no longer flags missing ones as an error or warning. So why do some corporations still insist on seeing them? I suspect inertia more than malice.
Do we actually need DOCTYPE any longer?
Old 07-09-2022, 12:22 AM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Do we actually need DOCTYPE any longer?
For epub2, you need a DOCTYPE for DTDs. For epub3 (HTML5), <!DOCTYPE html> is valid and since epub3 does not support DTDs, nothing else needs to be used. Since DOCTYPE is rather useless for epub3, some programs no longer automagically add it. Unfortunately, if you are still creating epub2 documents, the DOCTYPE is still needed. Oddly epubcheck will not flag this as an error but will flag using named entities (i.e. nbsp) as an error since the standard epub2 DTD defines those named entities. "<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">"

The other issue I've found with not having a DOCTYPE is that several renderers will render the document in Quirks mode which can result in some odd looking pages. See Quirks Mode and Standards Mode of what using quirks/standard/almost standard modes involves.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:08 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

But is quirks mode and standards mode still an issue with current browsers? That article mentions IE so it's rather old.

As for not having DOCTYPE in ePub 2, are there any programs that won't render the ePub 2 correctly without DOCTYPE?
Old 07-09-2022, 12:34 PM   #13
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
But is quirks mode and standards mode still an issue with current browsers? That article mentions IE so it's rather old.
As far as I am aware, Chrome, Edge and Firefox still all use quirks mode when no valid DOCTYPE is present. See Activating Browser Modes with Doctype for more information. You can use your favourite search engine to find more information though finding a web page that does not have the DOCTYPE declaration is not easy though you can easily generate your own HTML file and delete the DOCTYPE.

Quote:
As for not having DOCTYPE in ePub 2, are there any programs that won't render the ePub 2 correctly without DOCTYPE?
It was a couple of years back but I was playing with multiple renderers and yes, a few of them did not react well to a missing/invalid DOCTYPE. One customer wanted to know how their ebook (written in Word and converted to epub/mobi/azw3 by calibre) would display on various systems and I went through a mass of iOS, Android, Windows and MacOSX free/trial programs to check this for them. For the most part, the major issues I found were the lack of support for standards by many programs especially those for Android and those renderers where enabling publisher CSS required you to dig down a couple of menus if it was at all possible. This was a much more common and serious issue, IMNSHO.