Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-10-2013, 05:48 AM   #1
startreksteve
startreksteve began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Amazon blocking Calibre converted Mobi and other formats

Hu guys,
I've been a very happy Calibre user since I got my Kindle 3 and have sent many Calibre converted books to it via email. I've noticed however in the last two months or so, Im getting an error msg email from Amazon when trying to send books that its in an incompatible format for the Kindle 3. Its not! Its Mobi. I've tried every format that they advise, and the only one they accepted was .doc format. Strangely if I re-send a mobi from six months or so ago that was definitely received on the Kindle, it gets through, it seems to me Amazon are blocking mobi books converted by a recent version of Calibre, they are even blocking raw text!!!!
Anyone got any way to get round this? Can anyone confirm the same error? I even contacted the Amazon helpdesk, and they werent very helpful after 40 minutes of online chat.

Steve
startreksteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:04 AM   #2
fearindex
Addict
fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fearindex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle(s)
Have you tried uploading the documents directly via USB cable from a computer?
fearindex is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #3
arad26
Zealot
arad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitarad26 with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: PW2
I just send a book to my kindle from calibre ... and no problem here. I received it !
arad26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:22 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
I've got that a few times. I can only think its the way it's formatted. In all cases I've loaded the mobi into Calibre and reformatted from mobi to mobi then sent the new version to Amazon. and it's always been accepted.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by startreksteve View Post
Im getting an error msg email from Amazon when trying to send books that its in an incompatible format for the Kindle 3. Its not! Its Mobi. I've tried every format that they advise, and the only one they accepted was .doc format. Strangely if I re-send a mobi from six months or so ago that was definitely received on the Kindle, it gets through, it seems to me Amazon are blocking mobi books converted by a recent version of Calibre, they are even blocking raw text!!!!

Is it possible that you have old Firmware on your K3 (that doesn't understand KF8), and that you're accidentally trying to send KF8 format (or joint Mobi/KF8) ebooks incorrectly having the .mobi format?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #6
startreksteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by fearindex View Post
Have you tried uploading the documents directly via USB cable from a computer?
Yes thats fine, hence proving thats its NOT imcompatible...
Old 10-10-2013, 07:06 AM   #7
startreksteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Is it possible that you have old Firmware on your K3 (that doesn't understand KF8), and that you're accidentally trying to send KF8 format (or joint Mobi/KF8) ebooks incorrectly having the .mobi format?
Its got Firmware Kindle 3.4 (1725970040)
and whys are they blocking raw ascii text?

Last edited by startreksteve; 10-10-2013 at 07:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
As far as I can tell they aren't blocking anything, only today I emailed a mobi file which they accepted. And this week they have accepted Calibre generated mobi files from me
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 07:58 AM   #9
dimasic
Enthusiast
dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4NT
startreksteve, please check your output format settings. You should ensure that you're using "both" mobi file type, not "new" in "Output options - MOBI Output".
dimasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:07 AM   #10
startreksteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimasic View Post
startreksteve, please check your output format settings. You should ensure that you're using "both" mobi file type, not "new" in "Output options - MOBI Output".
Im sure I've already tried this, but done that emailed, now waiting for the 'incompatible format' email

Steve
Old 10-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
startreksteve

No joy, same as ever blocked, it reads fine if usb copied, I changed to mobi and both in output settings...

Dear Customer,

The following document, sent at 12:06 PM on Thu, Oct 10, 2013 GMT could not be delivered to the Kindle you specified:
* ebook.mobi

The Kindle Personal Document Service can convert and deliver the following types of documents:
Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx)
Rich Text Format (.rtf)
HTML (.htm, .html)
Text (.txt) documents
Archived documents (zip , x-zip) and compressed archived documents
Mobi book

Images that are of type JPEGs (.jpg), GIFs (.gif), Bitmaps (.bmp), and PNG images (.png).
Adobe PDF (.pdf) documents are delivered without conversion to Kindle DX, Second Generation and Latest Generation Kindles.

Adobe PDF (.pdf) can be converted to Kindle format and delivered on an experimental basis.

If the document that failed belonged to one of the above document types, please ensure the document is not password protected or encrypted. Note that the Latest Generation Kindles support password protected PDFs.

Helpful tips for personal document attachments:

The file size of each attached personal document should be less than 50MB (before compression in a ZIP file)
The email submitted should not contain more than 25 attached personal documents
Old 10-10-2013, 08:27 AM   #12
dimasic
Enthusiast
dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'dimasic knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 4NT
Can you upload both source and resulting books to any filestorage and PM me the link? I think the matter is in your Calibre settings.
dimasic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by startreksteve View Post
Im sure I've already tried this, but done that emailed, now waiting for the 'incompatible format' email

Steve
I suggest you use MobiUnpack on one that succeeds and one that doesn't to see what the difference is.

I think the plain text problem is a red herring, since you say that Mobis created six months ago are still accepted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 08:48 AM   #14
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
No problems here sending Mobi to my Amazon cloud and loading them from my K3 or any of my other Kindles.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
Heitor
Enthusiast
Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.Heitor knows the way to San Jose.

Device: iPad Air 2, Nexus 7 (2013), Zenfone 3 5.5, Kobo Aura
I like to produce my mobi files with both the old and the new formats. In some cases, Amazon will reject files so converted. In those cases, I repeat the conversion to only the old format, and this way I've been having success. Maybe you could check this issue.
Heitor is offline   Reply With Quote