Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 09:03 AM   #91
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus Fonepad,kobo arc,htc onex, htc titan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpman View Post
Good day

Time to enter the fray, so to speak.

I have upgraded to JB and I can honestly say compared to some PC/Mac upgrades I have undertaken over the years that this OS upgrade has been pretty pain free for me.

My Arc seems faster and the minor movement of the battery indicator etc to the top right of screen is not something that concerns me, we will probably find in some future OS upgrade they are moved somewhere else.

I understand why Kobo wanted to keep the OS experience as near standard as possible, as is often remarked "you cannot please all of the people all of the time".
Had they changed the OS experience in a significant way I'm sure there would be complaints about that!!!!!!!!!

The changes to the Kobo software make sense and are an improvement on the previous book management set up.

Overall I am very happy with my ARC, but not happy with the UK main re-seller
WH Smiths who still have not grasped the mettle with various add ons and also the complete lack of information on the 64Gb Arc, the model I really wanted.

All well and good if your happy with a 4-5 inch phone os on a 7 inch tablet that doesn't make phone calls

Last edited by stevov; 03-27-2013 at 09:07 AM.
stevov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:31 AM   #92
Kobo-Robin
Kobo Arc - Ux Lead
Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kobo-Robin can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Arc
Quote:
Good day

Time to enter the fray, so to speak.

I have upgraded to JB and I can honestly say compared to some PC/Mac upgrades I have undertaken over the years that this OS upgrade has been pretty pain free for me.

My Arc seems faster and the minor movement of the battery indicator etc to the top right of screen is not something that concerns me, we will probably find in some future OS upgrade they are moved somewhere else.

I understand why Kobo wanted to keep the OS experience as near standard as possible, as is often remarked "you cannot please all of the people all of the time".
Had they changed the OS experience in a significant way I'm sure there would be complaints about that!!!!!!!!!

The changes to the Kobo software make sense and are an improvement on the previous book management set up.

Overall I am very happy with my ARC, but not happy with the UK main re-seller
WH Smiths who still have not grasped the mettle with various add ons and also the complete lack of information on the 64Gb Arc, the model I really wanted.

Thanks!
Kobo-Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 09:49 AM   #93
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

"You can't please everyone all the time" doesn't really cut it for people whose Kobos are not working up to par since the upgrade. I don't see those concerns being addressed by Kobo. I also have yet to see a single communication on how to use the supposed improvements.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #94
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
Can we not imagine something like an option, to choose in the settings ? Of course, this would be specific to the Arc and "out" of Android !...
Robin, please think about this idea !
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:50 AM   #95
Carpman
Connoisseur
Carpman began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro
Jelly Bean

Stevov

Understand your view point, however until someone writes an OS for the plethora of 7inch, 8inch, 9 & 10inch tablets we are pretty much stuck where we are.

Most OS's have problems, having looked recently at Window's 8, my first reaction was YUK, I'm a Mac person, cannot afford a iPad of any screen size so have to say that the Arc 'cuts' it for me.

I suppose it does depend on why people buy an Arc, Nexus 7 or other such devices, for me to read books and the ability to browse the net when required.
My serious computing is undertaken on an iMac, which like the Arc I remain happy with.

Cheers

NB: I hope the weather is not to bad in your neck of the woods!!
Carpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 12:07 PM   #96
Dangze
Enthusiast
Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.Dangze can fool all of the people all of the time.

Device: Kobo Arc 32Go
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevov View Post
All well and good if your happy with a 4-5 inch phone os on a 7 inch tablet that doesn't make phone calls
I make phone calls with my Arc using SIP app (for example this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2lwc2ltcGxlIl0.)
and a VoIP account !...
Dangze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:24 PM   #97
stevov
Groupie
stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stevov ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Stevov

Understand your view point, however until someone writes an OS for the plethora of 7inch, 8inch, 9 & 10inch tablets we are pretty much stuck where we are.

Most OS's have problems, having looked recently at Window's 8, my first reaction was YUK, I'm a Mac person, cannot afford a iPad of any screen size so have to say that the Arc 'cuts' it for me.

I suppose it does depend on why people buy an Arc, Nexus 7 or other such devices, for me to read books and the ability to browse the net when required.
My serious computing is undertaken on an iMac, which like the Arc I remain happy with.

Cheers

NB: I hope the weather is not to bad in your neck of the woods!!
I bought my arc for internet and media capabilities. everything Kobo has been disabled or uninstalled. If i need a reading app other than the basic android i can install one. Just trying to see what the Kobo developers have actually developed. They obviously did nothing to the JB/google side of things.
Weather is cold with a few light flurries where i am but some other regions up here have been hit hard by UK standards. I lived in Canada for 23 years, New Brunswick and the High Arctic so what passes for heavy snow here is a small flurry over there
Old 03-27-2013, 12:29 PM   #98
stevov
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangze View Post
I make phone calls with my Arc using SIP app (for example this one https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...2lwc2ltcGxlIl0.)
and a VoIP account !...
I appreciate that mate, there is also skype and more but all are dependant on a wifi connection. the os we have is designed for a phone not a tablet. i have a phone for making phonecalls, my tablet is for portable convenient internet access
Old 03-27-2013, 01:55 PM   #99
kamaal
kamaal began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobo-Robin View Post
I'm going to look into this.
Hi Robin

Just to say that I have looked a bit more into the Arabic support issue: it seems the fonts and support are untouched, but some sort of a "connection" that tells apps how to handle Arabic (or find the fonts) has been lost.
Also, this does not seem to be a problem with right-to-left text, as I tried a Hebrew keyboard and it worked fine.

As an example: when using the default browser, firefox or gmail I can actually read Arabic websites/messages. However if using Chrome, twitter, or trying to type using the keyboard then the Arabic letters are all white spaces! This is also the same problem with all the file browsers I have tried. (Arabic file names do not show).

It is worthy to note that the apps that display Arabic text correctly only do so on the "body" of the page (not the title); the page title (shown in the tabs area) or email title are not shown. So there may be a problem with the component used for those areas (which may be the same one used by Chrome etc.).

I hope this will help your team diagnose this problem and fix it soon. Many thanks in advance for your support.

Best regards,
Kamaal

Last edited by kamaal; 03-27-2013 at 02:09 PM.
kamaal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 04:47 PM   #100
JKS
JKS began at the beginning.

I just received the following response from Kobo to my email request for help: "Thank you for contacting Tier 2 Kobo Customer Care. We apologize for the delay in our response. We have been receiving higher than normal ticket volumes and are trying to work through them as quickly as possible".

Reading between the lines I would say that a lot of people are having problems with this upgrade.
JKS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #101
cyndersk
Enthusiast
cyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watchcyndersk is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Touch & Kobo Arc
Thumbs down UGH

So, here I am once again.... after this update I'm getting more and more frustrated/disappointed with my ARC. Everything is slower to load, once open they crash more often, and my arc spontaneously reboots periodically. I had none of these issues prior to the upgrade. Not sure if anyone else has had these issues since upgrading, but if so have you been able to fix them? And if so how?

Starting to save up money to purchase a different tablet.....
cyndersk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:23 PM   #102
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Haven't had any spontaneous reboots yet. But the slow loads and more regular crashing, yep.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM   #103
johnborsellino
johnborsellino began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch and Arc
I am happy that I have not had any problems with the new Jelly Bean update, I was used to the old layout but now I do like the new changes especially the new Gmail notifications.
johnborsellino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #104
slate
Connoisseur
slate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura aboutslate has a spectacular aura about

Device: N/A
Those with issues can try clearing their cache. Not sure if that will make a difference or not but it doesn't hurt anything.

Simply hold volume up and power until the power light starts blinking blue. Use the volume up/down and navigate to 'wipe cache partition' and press the power button.
slate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM   #105
ppowell002
Connoisseur
ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.ppowell002 is no ebook tyro.

Device: kobo glo hd
Other issues

Since the update I have two issues:

-Reading Tapestry is sometimes missing the carousel, requires reboot.

-Live wallpaper missing when device is turned on. Requires going to Settings and turning on again but always missing next time device turned on.
ppowell002 is offline   Reply With Quote