Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #91
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScotiaBurrell View Post
And Samsung will again find themselves in an american court defending themselves.
Hopefully not in Sunnyvale's backyard again. Any trial there is certain to be won by Apple. This case just illustrates that point, since it turned out to be so ludicrously biased.

Quote:
they will just learn to design their own designs.
They already do, and with better technical quality. I am really curious to see if iPhone 5 is even a close runner up to Galaxy S3.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:23 PM   #92
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle & little green monster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
They already do, and with better technical quality. I am really curious to see if iPhone 5 is even a close runner up to Galaxy S3.
At this point, 5 generations (or 6) into the smartphone market...Apple isn't trying to match its competitors spec for spec. It's just catering to that lucrative and profitable part of the smartphone market that it has carved out for itself. That business is pretty self-sustaining now.
ScotiaBurrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 02:29 PM   #93
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That business is pretty self-sustaining now.
Yup, they have a lot of sheeple just waiting for the next generation. Sorry to say, but that includes several members of my own family.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #94
ScotiaBurrell
Banned
ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScotiaBurrell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yup, they have a lot of sheeple just waiting for the next generation.
'Sheeple' because their preferences are different from yours? What about people who prefer PCs to Macs or Windows to Linux?
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #95
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
At this point, 5 generations (or 6) into the smartphone market...Apple isn't trying to match its competitors spec for spec. It's just catering to that lucrative and profitable part of the smartphone market that it has carved out for itself. That business is pretty self-sustaining now.
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. In the US maybe, but as the stats in the other thread show, I'm sure they wish they had a larger, more lucrative slice of the pie in other countries, and especially in China.

While you're right in that Apple's model needs 'sufficient' rather than 'cutting edge' specs across the board, there are some areas where they will want to avoid being seen as falling behind.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #96
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Quote:
'Sheeple' because their preferences are different from yours?
Pretty much. Some people just can't seem to understand that other people may have different needs and requirements concerning ereaders, phones, computers, etc.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #97
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
While you're right in that Apple's model needs 'sufficient' rather than 'cutting edge' specs across the board, there are some areas where they will want to avoid being seen as falling behind.
Agreed. Thus the move to a 4" screen and a 8" iPad. I want to compare the iPad to the Nexus before deciding which to buy. I went Android on the phone because of price. The tablet will be best meets my needs...and I suspect I'll go Apple.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:45 PM   #98
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Some people just can't seem to understand that other people may have different needs and requirements concerning ereaders, phones, computers, etc.
I get sense that for some here Android is more about not being apple than is about strength of Android. Here you hear mostly negative about Apple, not nearly so much positive about Android.
Old 09-04-2012, 02:50 PM   #99
Dave_S
What Title ?

Quote:
'Sheeple' because their preferences are different from yours? What about people who prefer PCs to Macs or Windows to Linux?
No, it because that class of consumer seems to not even go through decision making process. They just seem to follow the alpha personality in their peer group. My own prefences are far enough from average, that my personal preferences are are always in the minority.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #100
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
that class of consumer seems to not even go through decision making process.
What do you base that on? Every market: clothing, footwear, groceries, and yes consumer elec has brands that generate loyalty.

Loyalty doesn't mean person gone blind. It means something works well for them. I have friend that buys only Toyota. Always worked well for him. Is he a sheeple for not getting Kia or Hyundai? More included at lower price!
Old 09-04-2012, 03:21 PM   #101
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I have a Galaxy Nexus phone and I love it. I have a no contract data plan through T-Mobile that gives me 5GB at 4G speeds, unlimited texting, and 100 minutes of voice (I don't use the minutes so the scant minutes isn't a problem) for $30 prepaid a month. Nowhere on the planet can I get a deal like that with an Apple phone. This is why I went the Android route.

My boss has an iPhone. I'd say the two are pretty comparable, but I'd like to make one comment about Siri vs. Google Now. Google Now is much better than Siri at answering questions, and is also much faster. However, Siri is better at tying into contacts, calendar, to do list, playlists, etc. Google works but is pickier about phrases. Siri also has a personality while Google is pretty lifeless. I like Apple's approach better. Google still has a little work to do.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #102
ScotiaBurrell
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
Google Now is much better than Siri at answering questions, and is also much faster. However, Siri is better at tying into contacts, calendar, to do list, playlists, etc. Google works but is pickier about phrases. Siri also has a personality while Google is pretty lifeless. I like Apple's approach better. Google still has a little work to do.
choice and compeition are good.
Old 09-04-2012, 03:40 PM   #103
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Hmm, I'm not sure about that. In the US maybe, but as the stats in the other thread show, I'm sure they wish they had a larger, more lucrative slice of the pie in other countries, and especially in China.
Larger is nowhere near the same as more lucrative.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...ales-shoot-up/
Quote:
Samsung and Apple may be duking it out for the number one slot in smartphone sales (particularly due to the collapse of Nokia), but the two leaders have an astonishing combined 99 percent of global handset profits for Q1 2012. Of that, Apple took in 73 percent of global handset profits, despite having just 9 percent of global handset market share, according to new quarterly analysis from Canaccord.

That’s just one of the fascinating details that analysts have unearthed in the season of quarterly reports. According to IDC, in Q1 2012 Samsung shipped almost four times as many units—42.2 million—as it did in Q1 2011 (11.5 million). But while Apple may have shipped fewer units (after all, the company has less than 10 percent of global smartphone market share), Juniper Research reports that Apple’s Q1 2012 iPhone revenue was $22.7 billion, about a third higher than Samsung’s $16.7 billion from its entire mobile division. Naturally, profits always trump units shipped.
Apple are making more money from Smartphone sales than anyone else, because they are sticking to the high-end market. Samsung are shifting an impressive number of units, but many of them are low-end models, which aren't making them much money.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #104
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
Larger is nowhere near the same as more lucrative.

http://arstechnica.com/business/2012...ales-shoot-up/

Apple are making more money from Smartphone sales than anyone else, because they are sticking to the high-end market. Samsung are shifting an impressive number of units, but many of them are low-end models, which aren't making them much money.
That doesn't change the point that I'm making. Clearly, especially given the high profit margins that Apple have, larger overseas market share for them would be more lucrative.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:57 PM   #105
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Hopefully not in Sunnyvale's backyard again. Any trial there is certain to be won by Apple. This case just illustrates that point, since it turned out to be so ludicrously biased.

Exactly and maybe Apple will as well since they have yet to invent anything themselves as has been shown.

I think what will happen is that this will be the first blow against the faulty patent system.

We'll see what the appeal says, and no there is no chance Samsung is going go back down, not with the additional threats, lawsuits and filings against the SIII and other products. Jobs said he was going thermonuclear and this is it still in motion despite his death and we all know that a thermonuclear war is not winnable.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote