Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > PDF

Notices

Old 07-13-2007, 02:29 PM   #1
splat
Zealot
splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.splat has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

PDF sizes for various devices

Hi all,

I have a friend who is releasing a book in A4 pdf format and while they are not exactly open to / convinced of other more suitable formats at the moment, they are willing to release the book in various size formatted PDF to go with the various ebook devices that can support it (sony, iLiad etc).

To that end. Would anyone have a list of sizes for Pdf for various devices.

(nb: unfortunately I've been sworn to secrecy on the book for the moment so can't go in to any details)
splat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
You can get the sizing for the Sony Reader from the Wiki article. I would think that sizing would work well enough for any 6" display, but I don't know what you'd need for the iLiad.

Hey, I just had a brainwave -- you could download a sample file from Feedbooks or Manybooks for each device and see what the pages are formated to from those files.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by splat View Post
Hi all,

I have a friend who is releasing a book in A4 pdf format and while they are not exactly open to / convinced of other more suitable formats at the moment, they are willing to release the book in various size formatted PDF to go with the various ebook devices that can support it (sony, iLiad etc).

To that end. Would anyone have a list of sizes for Pdf for various devices.

(nb: unfortunately I've been sworn to secrecy on the book for the moment so can't go in to any details)
The screen size of the Sony Reader is 90mm by 120mm.

Now why would your friend want to release PDF only? PDF is a rather lousy format for reading. It's too inflexible. One of the things that a reader is good for is being able to change the font size. Can't do that with PDF. AllI can say is if this book is only going to be in PDF and your friend is not willing to think about better formats for audience, then I think his sales won't do very well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:01 AM   #4
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
for the illiad, 150mm by 120mm works very well

Karen
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote