Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #1
yerxa
yerxa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Amazon book with custom font?

I haven't had my Kindle for very long, only read 4 book so far (and a few sample), but so far every book I've downloaded has had the same font. But today I bought Slaughterhouse, and it has a different font which I don't really like. I tried to change it with the Aa button, but the font options are greyed out and not accessible.

So I guess I'm going to deal with it since I want to read the book, but I'm wondering if there is some way to change the font? How common is this? Do a lot of books use a different font?
yerxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:13 PM   #2
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
That generally means it is a TOPAZ format (it's scanned and images of the "letters" are stored as the fonts, which is used for display). Generally of poorer quality (but not always).

I just checked the sample file and it is, indeed, in topaz format (.tpz or .azw1 extensions are topaz; .azw is mobi).

Each topaz book has it's own font.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 06:15 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Sound like a Topaz book. It's usage seems to be dwindling, but people are still running into them.

No way to change the font without a convoluted (and possibly unsuccessful) process that you may (or may not) find legally and/or morally grey.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #4
yerxa
yerxa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for the reply. That is too bad, it really is a low quality font, the letters seem stretched or something.
yerxa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 09:46 PM   #5
bZkindle
Fanatic
bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bZkindle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: k2, k3G, kindle DXG, Sony T-1, iPad, iPhone, stone tablet
Yep, Topaz is a real pain. I've got stuck with a few of them and the font is s p a c e d l i k e t h i s .
n:
bZkindle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The only way to change the font is strip the DRM and have Calibre convert to MOBI. See Topaz Reconsidered. You will then have the standard AZW font, but the OCRed text from the TOPAZ might or might not give a clean transfer. Worse case, you can go back to the TOPAZ version.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote