Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-07-2010, 09:54 PM   #1
savanahrose
savanahrose began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
new to the ereader life.

I just bought a Sony PRS 300. Where would I get books for the reader? I am a bit lost. But excited about finally getting one. Yeah one that just puts me in it but at least my toe is getting wet. lol
savanahrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
Welcome to Mobileread.

My favorite sources for books are

Here, under the ebooks tab.
Feedbooks, www.feedbooks.com
Manybooks, www.manybooks.net

I would also suggest checking to see if your local library provides ebooks.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, savanahrose

Have you installed the Sony Reader Library on your computer yet?

Have you registered your Reader and computer to both the Reader Library and ADE (Adobe Digital Editions)?

You have lots of options for places to purchase books with the Sony. Are you in the USA?

Did you know that MR has free ebooks? They have been beautifully handcrafted by some very dedicated MR members. ePub format and Sony BBeB / lrf format

Free ebook sites.. feedbooks.com and manybooks.net

Free and for purchase ebooks .. smashwords.com and baen.com Plus Baen has a free library

You can explore using Calibre to manage your library of DRM free books and Kovid, the creator, frequents the forums here. We even have a dedicated Calibre forum.

Here are a couple of book search engines for finding and comparing book prices.. AddAll and Inkmesh.

Have fun in the forums and ask if you have any questions.

PS Check my signature and click on the links to find more information.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
savanahrose

Thank you toomanybooks. I will check into that.

dreams I am just at the point of taking it out of the box and letting it charge before it will even turn on. I was just looking to see what was out there. I will read your post while this is charging up.

Thank you both for your help. It is very much appreciated.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #5
savanahrose

This is getting really frustrating. My view keeps going from horizontal to vertical and I don't know why. I am trying to read the orientation section but can't figure it out. My library is not downloading. i don't see what it says that I would. I am ready to take this back and just pay extra for the ipad.

I figured out the buttons. woohoo step number 1 down. Now to figure out the rest.

Last edited by savanahrose; 04-07-2010 at 11:15 PM.
Advert
Old 04-08-2010, 12:55 AM   #6
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savanahrose View Post
This is getting really frustrating. My view keeps going from horizontal to vertical and I don't know why. I am trying to read the orientation section but can't figure it out.
If you push and hold the text size button it switches orientation and you push and hold the button again and it goes back. If you just push and let go, it changes the text size.

Quote:
My library is not downloading. i don't see what it says that I would. I am ready to take this back and just pay extra for the ipad.

I figured out the buttons. woohoo step number 1 down. Now to figure out the rest.
What operating system do you have? XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac?
Old 04-08-2010, 03:30 AM   #7
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
If you push and hold the text size button it switches orientation and you push and hold the button again and it goes back.
Hey, I never knew that! Coolness! Now I can look at my 2-page calendar PDF sideways.

(yes, I know I need to RTFM more...)
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:51 AM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
This is getting really frustrating. My view keeps going from horizontal to vertical and I don't know why. I am trying to read the orientation section but can't figure it out. My library is not downloading. i don't see what it says that I would. I am ready to take this back and just pay extra for the ipad.
Relax ... you'll get it sorted out in a bit, and your Reader will become your new best friend. In a literary sense, anyway.

The Sony Library software is ... not good. Unless you have an overwhelming urge to buy expensive DRM-restricted ebooks, you probably don't want to deal with it. Take dreams' advice and go get calibre. (what is it with lower-case proper nouns around here, anyway?) It will make your life much easier. Yes, you can have them both installed at once, so long as you don't run them both at once (which would lead to nasty arguments over whose turn it was to write to the database, and they'd throw pieces of your books at each other).

If it's constantly switching orientation for no good reason, you may have a stuck button. Wiggle it gently.

There are plenty of people here who can help you, but we'll need some more detailed information so we know what's wrong. So ... what are you trying to do, what steps do you take, and what results do you get?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:40 AM   #9
mrscoach
Guru
mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrscoach ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy tab
I ordered the 300 last week, and it is scheduled to arrive today. I've been checking the UPS site several times a day to track its progress. So I'm reading everything I can on it before it gets here, even though I played with a friend's daughter's some. I already have several series converted on calibre, waiting to be placed lovingly in my reader.
mrscoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 10:53 AM   #10
savanahrose

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
If you push and hold the text size button it switches orientation and you push and hold the button again and it goes back. If you just push and let go, it changes the text size.

What operating system do you have? XP, Vista, Win 7, Mac?

sorry dreams, I am running Safari, Mac OS X 10.6.3
Old 04-09-2010, 10:59 AM   #11
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
savanahrose,

Are you still having problems downloading the Sony Library software?
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Bannermkr
Bannermkr began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600 Touch edition
New here too and am getting excited my reader should be here by Friday at least. I normally read about 10 books per week so this should make it easier on me rather than lugging several books around. Any suggestions.
Bannermkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 11:34 PM   #13
Bannermkr

Ok getting Calibre right now hope it is a good choice.
Old 04-11-2010, 11:42 PM   #14
dreams
It's about the umbrella

Welcome to MR, Bannermkr!

How exciting to get your first Reader. I've had my Sony 505 for about a year and a half and love it.

I'm going to direct you to the start of this Introduce yourself forum and have you start a "new thread" so members can greet you properly in your own thread..

So, go here and just click the little blue button on the left that says "new thread" and tell us about yourself.
Old 04-16-2010, 04:44 PM   #15
Bannermkr

Just got my reader and am charging it now have books ready to put into it. Okay I admit it I'm addicted to books what can I say.