Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-29-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Device: Aztak Mentor
Pocketbook IQ 701

Does anybody know where the latest firmware can be downloaded? The firmware on my unit just reads "Eclair". When I go to the Pocketbook website, the firmware section still says "coming soon". I received my device 10 days before Nov 20th so I know it doesn't have the firmware. Was this firmware (Nov 20th) ever released? Thanks.
zetareticuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
The November 20 firmware was only released to sellers of the IQ. It was not released to the public at large. However, there is supposed to be a public release of a *new* firmware today. So keep checking http://www.pocketbook-usa.com/support/pocketbook-iq/ for the update. It is not the Nov. 20 update, I guess we should call it the Nov. 29 update---or whatever day it comes out.

Your IQ will say Eclair whether you're running the Nov. 20 firmware or not.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
zetareticuli
Addict
zetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litterzetareticuli doesn't litter

Rob,

Thanks a lot. I will check back every few hours.
Old 11-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
We need a foot tapping watch checking smilie icon.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:55 PM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
We need a foot tapping watch checking smilie icon.
I agree. Doesn't look like the expected firmware drop is going to happen today. It's well beyond close of business in Ukraine now.
Advert
Old 11-29-2010, 07:40 PM   #6
K-Thom
The one and only
K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K-Thom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: yup!
In Germany it's scheduled for Wednesday/Thursday. Should be out the same time for US, I suppose.

It seems to be finished, but they're still testing it.
K-Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 08:26 PM   #7
zetareticuli
Addict

Any release notes as to what this firmware update is expected to address?
Old 11-30-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by zetareticuli View Post
Any release notes as to what this firmware update is expected to address?
Not yet. But I did get this email from Bookland today regarding the registration issue with the IQ: Hello. You need to update your firmware on IQ device. The firmware will appear in few days. You will be informed by email. We apologize for any inconvenience.

I guess this is the Nov. 29 firmware that was supposed to be up yesterday. We'll just have to wait a few more days...
Old 12-01-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
They just added a video files converter. I haven't had a chance to check any videos on it since I've been concentrating more on the reading side of it, but how can one play a video on the IQ? I haven't seen a video player, just a music player. Or should I see about finding an app for it?

Apps are another thing. I'm finding that there's a limit to the number of apps that can be installed. I'm currently testing three office apps: DocumentsToGo, OpenOffice and QuickOffice, and the order of preference for the time being is DocumentsToGo, then QuickOffice then OpenOffice. I am able to open an .xls file and enter student attendance without any problems, which is really all I need to do in class. I can then transfer the data to our uni system. I will have to weigh the price vs. features of those apps and decide on which one I will buy.

But I'm not quite happy with the reading apps. The Pocketbook program doesn't seem to read .txt files, or I haven't been able to find how. I think Aldiko doesn't eiter, tho I might be mixing it up with another app - I tried a lot of them. I don't like that I have to import books one by one - I'd much prefer going to the folder with my fic series and read them from there.

But Pocketbook app is great when it comes to epubs. I just don't feel like converting the enormous number of fics I've collected during the years. Is there an app that reads epubs, and .txt, and .html files? With hopefuly some other formats? Or will I have to cave in and start using Calibre?

I'm also looking forward to text to speeach!
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:27 AM   #10
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

I think the app RockPlayer will do video. I downloaded it last night, but haven't installed it. I haven't had as much time as I hoped to test out apps. I have done a decent amount of reading with it. I think I have decided I really don't like reading on an LCD screen. It just doesn't feel right with my eyes.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:45 AM   #11
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Apps are another thing. I'm finding that there's a limit to the number of apps that can be installed. I'm currently testing three office apps: DocumentsToGo, OpenOffice and QuickOffice, and the order of preference for the time being is DocumentsToGo, then QuickOffice then OpenOffice. I am able to open an .xls file and enter student attendance without any problems, which is really all I need to do in class. I can then transfer the data to our uni system. I will have to weigh the price vs. features of those apps and decide on which one I will buy.
I'd look at OfficeSuite Pro too.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 10:59 AM   #12
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found it and installed it recently. I only had a short time to test it, but I am impressed, and it is not that expensive either. I think I have another favorite. I will spend some more time on it and see what else it can do. Thank you for the tip!
Old 12-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #13
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Good tip. I'll try it once my IQ gets in. Looks like an outfit that gets it; you can buy and download direct from their site quick and easy and they offer a 30-day free trial.
If the software matches their business practices it will be a worthy buy.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #14
citac
Fanatic

I just opened some textbooks I have, written in Bosnian, and all the Central European characters are displayed perfectly, which is something I struggled with on my Astak and with .epub files. It took some time to open the document, since it's quite a large Word doc, plus it has many photos, but I was able to read the first pages while the rest of it was loading. I had already tried .xls without a hitch, though the speed of opening also differs depending on the size of the file. I had no problems with .ppt files either, and I will try .pdf in a little while.