Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 11-30-2010, 10:41 AM   #16
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
I got the pen from a Amazon dealer for a fair price $25. Seen it costs around $35 other places. It's the shipping that's gonna cost me since they don't ship internationally so once again I have to go through a forwarding company.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #17
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How do one use Doc2Go. I tried to create a Word document but a virtual keyboard never came up, so how is one supposed to type in letters?
Advert
Old 11-30-2010, 03:38 PM   #18
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
Press and hold the Menu button and the keyboard will appear.

The PDF manual is available here: http://download.dataviz.com/pdf/manu...d_Manualv3.pdf.
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #19
thinkpad
David

I'm having big problems connecting to the WiFi network at home with a wireless AP (D-Link DWL-G700AP). At work there's no problem but when trying to connect at home it says: "Trying to obtain IP-address" and fails. This is somewhat strange since I have both my phone and my laptop connected to the wireless network without problem.

Next thing to check will be to install a router with built-in WiFi instead of the AP.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:35 PM   #20
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Make sure the security details are the same (e.g. WEP, AES, security code) as you're using on your other devices.

Also, if you're in Europe, you may have different channels available than the default used by the eDGe. Explore the eDGe's wifi settings.
Advert
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 AM   #21
hartjjtm
hartjjtm began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi. I just joined and have a question about the Pocket Edge. I bought one several weeks ago and have until next month to return it. I wanted a ereader and thought this would be great with the two screens-it was an impulse buy after only minimul research. Being pretty unsophisticated about ereaders, I narrowed down what I am looking for to what I must have and what would be nice:
Need
Memory. 3-4 mg + card expansion
web access-of course wi-fi, but free 3g would be nice
Access to library books!!!
Good battery life
Want
Color
not USB charging

I like the pocket edge, but it is a bit heavy. Also, I don't think it can access library books. Also, I can't figure out how to turn off the wi-fi so my battery drains pretty quickly. I love the web access, but no 3g. If I could figure out how to download library books, it would probably be okay. The other one I am considering is the sony 950. Black and white is a problem, but 3g, battery life, and library access are really important.
Anyone know a good option that combines all the things I am looking for in the $300 range and has a good rating by a lot of reviewers?
Thanks for your help!!!!
hartjjtm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 09:03 AM   #22
borisb
Addict

The eDGe can access public library ebooks. Go to http://www.entourageedge.com/forums and search for "library book" and another search for "Overdrive".

For 3G, you're best off getting a "mifi" device. This is provided by cellphone companies and creates a local wifi hotspot that you can connect up to 5 devices, too, just like you connect them to your home wifi or a wifi at a coffee shop. It uses a cell connection for the Internet access.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:29 PM   #23
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
Going on a bit of a tangent here re: mifi -- we were given a Vodaphone pocket wifi (I believe it's similar to a mifi) at the conference we were just at and are looking at Canadian and roaming (Europe mostly) sim card options. Boris, do you have a mifi? Have you found anything better than a Rogers data plan for it for use in Canada?
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:10 AM   #24
beachwanderer
-
beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beachwanderer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Some
I'm using one of those neat Huawei-pocket-wifis too with the eDGe when in need. Got a prepaid sim of a german telco. They charge 0,24 EUR/MB Data (which is fine for some quick surfing without chunky downloads, e-mail and research when necessary). One can get a prepaid 30 Day Data "Flat" (capped at 1 GB Max) for 9,90 EUR too if that's needed.

Last edited by beachwanderer; 02-03-2011 at 02:46 AM.
beachwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:51 AM   #25
borisb
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
Going on a bit of a tangent here re: mifi -- we were given a Vodaphone pocket wifi (I believe it's similar to a mifi) at the conference we were just at and are looking at Canadian and roaming (Europe mostly) sim card options. Boris, do you have a mifi? Have you found anything better than a Rogers data plan for it for use in Canada?
I'm using the Telus Mobility one. I have the $35/mo "flex" plan that charges you the best monthly rate based on your total usage.

For a total of 500 Mb or less, you pay $35, for a total of 1 Gb or less you pay $45, for 2 Gb or less you pay $55, and for 5 Gb or less you pay $70. After 5 Gb, you pay the overage rate (I'm not sure the amount). These don't cover international roaming (which is billed at a flat per Mb rate).
Old 02-01-2011, 07:36 AM   #26
highwayman
highwayman is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle, Bebook One
Kindle for Android

Just thinking that it would be a killer app if you could get Kindle for Android to work on the Edge and use the eInk screen
highwayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 02:24 PM   #27
thinkpad
David

I would be glad if they could get Android 2.2 up and running on it. As it is now it still runs Android 1.6.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 AM   #28
thinkpad
David

There has been activity on the Entourage forum regarding the 2.2 release:
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...4539#post14539
Quote:
What I can tell you is that things are well underway with Android 2.2 and that I have our Ermine release (yes, the next furry beast) on both my pocket edge and entourage edge.
Quote:
it is not ready for prime time as we are still awaiting new code from one partner. Once we get that in and test everything thoroughly, then we will release it. While I am hoping for the end of February, I believe it will be ready the middle of March
Old 02-19-2011, 02:32 AM   #29
thinkpad
David

I've got a strange bug. The Edge no longer charges the battery when turned off. I need to switch on the device and keep it on for the battery to charge.

The Power LED can be green or red, and blinking or solid. This list describes the colors and their meanings:

* Green and blinking - battery is charging
* Green and solid (not blinking) fully charged or in use
* Red and slow blinking - battery fault
* Red and fast blinking - battery is critically low
* Red and solid - battery is missing or not properly installed in the device
* If the Power LED is not lit at all, the power to your enTourage eDGe is off and the AC adaptor is not plugged in.

https://www.entourageedge.com/suppor...d=141&nav=0,18
Quote:
Something to keep in mind if you experience the Entourage eDGe taking an abnormal amount of time to charge:
The Entourage eDGe battery charges to 100% in about 2hours so long as you stay above 5% charge. If you truly exhaust a battery by using it until the device forces a power off, it can take up to 12 hours to go from 0 to 100%. It takes about 10 hours to trickle charge an exhausted battery to get it up to an acceptable level (about 5%) to ensure the battery is not damaged. Once the battery is charged to 5%, the rest of the battery can charge very quickly.
The AC plug is something that seems to bug a lot of people including myself:
http://www.entourageedge.com/blog/?p=412
Quote:
I’ve found that my AC plug needs to be firmly inserted to charge – if it wiggles out by more than about 1mm, the connection is lost. I recall another user saying that his AC plug is even more sensitive than Carolyn’s
Quote:
2 big issues with it:
1) Its very flimsy feeling (much like a cell phone plug-in). I worry that it will break over time. Its fairly hard to make sure that it stays firmly plugged in such that the unit charges well. Probably in a future version, it would be good to make a better connection here.

2) Its location on the side is not very good, because that can dictate which way you hold/use the eDGe while you are plugged in. I’m right handed, and I typically have the wall plug on my right, so I have to use the eDGe with the e-Paper interface on the right side while charging.
On another note I've gotten the sleeve to the Edge and it's really nice and sturdy built, it even comes with a handle for carrying it around. I'll post some pictures later on.

Last edited by thinkpad; 02-19-2011 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 08:18 AM   #30
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
The problem a lot of us users were having before was that the first batch of edges shipped with the wrong sized power adaptor. (The tip only 7.5 mm long instead of 9 mm.) This was discovered and remedied pretty early on, but some of us needed to be shipped new power adaptors (not the full brick, just the part that plugs into it).

It would be strange if this is what happened to you, given that your machine was purchased so recently. But it's possible you received one of those older power cords. They did work for most people, for a certain amount of time, and then started acting up in a variety of ways displaying finicky charging behaviour.

So just in case, measure the metal tip of your charger and see if you've got a 7.5 mm or 9mm length. If you did get the short one, entourage will gladly send you the correct one.

The other thing I noticed is that charging the machine when it's under 15% battery life is different than when it's above 15% battery life. (See here: http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...=2510#post2510) so is there any chance that this behaviour you're noticing is only when the battery is quite low?

Otherwise I'd say it's time to contact Entourage because that isn't normal behaviour.
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
entourage edge