Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Talking First post with my IQ :)

Got it a day earlier than expected! (Thanks, Tvpupsik!) Pretty nice so far. I will get some pictures soon and give some initial thoughts. Dont like virtual keyboard much, but thats just me. I need a real keyboard.

Last edited by speedtouch; 11-22-2010 at 10:08 PM.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:07 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

I just could not get the lighting right for taking pictures. Sorry, I'm not much of a photographer. But I can assure you the white IQ is indeed very white.

It's running the November 20 PocketBook firmware and seems just fine. I have found one bug with the wifi, however. I normally have my wireless router not broadcast its SSID for security reasons. I input the wireless settings manually for my network into the IQ, yet it would never, never connect. My Palm Pre would connect to the "invisible" network, but not the IQ. So I had my router broadcast its SSID and the IQ connected immediately. So, PocketBook, please configure the next firmware to connect to non-broadcasting wifi networks. Wireless throughput was adequate.

I used the default browser to make the opening post in this thread. I found out I really dislike virtual keyboards. I'm definitely a tactile keyboard type of fellow. But the virtual KB seemed to work just fine. Scrolling down the forums was slow, though. Just moving the page up and down was jerky. It feels like a computer that's using software rendering rather than hardware accelerated rendering, if you know what I mean.

I have not tried to load any apps nor have I tried any ebooks yet. I have to say I dislike the startup screen. The greeting to tell me to visit pocketbook-int.com every time I turn on the IQ is annoying and unnecessary. PB, please remove! Just boot up without any nag screens!

It is heavy. I was surprised by the heft of it. It is comfortable in the hands, though. Smooth, rounded edges. I need to test out some mp3s and video (if I can). I've never used Android before, so this is going to be quite the learning experience. I'm a heavy and enthusiastic webOS user.

I'll probably be going to bed soon, so I won't be doing much else with the IQ tonight. But tomorrow and the rest of the week will be chocked full of playing with my new toy. Feel free to ask me something about it, maybe I can help you make up your mind. So far I'm pleased with it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1065.JPG
Views:	477
Size:	484.4 KB
ID:	61669   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1068.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	61670   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1071.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	580.2 KB
ID:	61671  
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Exclamation

***Update 23 NOV 2010 12:50 PM Central*** Confirmed by mtravellerh, the AFM has adware in it, but it is not malware.****

The IQ definitely has adware and possibly has malware.

I went to the Android File Manager (AFM) just to check it out. As soon as it opened there was a small popup in the upper left corner of the screen with a bunch of Chinese characters. Pressing that popup sent me to a download screen. Thankfully (I guess) the file was too large to download. (Malware?) So I pressed Back to go back to the AFM. There I was greeted with a different Chinese popup. This time when I pressed it, it again went to the download screen and informed me the content is not supported on this phone.

I also noticed some adware at the bottom of AFM. See the ad "Four Steps to God"? Pressing that ad took me to the 4stepstogod.mobi website. I pressed Back and a new Chinese ad was there, so I pressed it and was taken to some website to download something that was in 1.0beta status. Who knows what that means.

PocketBook, what's going on here?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1073.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	616.5 KB
ID:	61672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1075.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	652.4 KB
ID:	61673   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1076.JPG
Views:	361
Size:	538.2 KB
ID:	61674   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1077.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	437.6 KB
ID:	61675   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1079.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	864.2 KB
ID:	61676   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1080.JPG
Views:	350
Size:	691.5 KB
ID:	61677  

Last edited by speedtouch; 11-23-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Stop pressing things that pop up before you break it. Is there some sort of setting to turn on a blocker?
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #5
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

It's ok if I break it. I'll just reload the firmware. I'm not aware of any ad blockers. But why should this thing have ads anyway? Especially on the file browser! What's an ad doing on a bought and paid for device? Unless the IQ is ad-supported and I'm not aware of it...
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:09 AM   #6
CalvinL
Enthusiast
CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CalvinL has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: nook
Those Chinese are "support widget and rich web application" and "the latest stock news"
Why they got some Chinese ads on it? Does it mean the firmware is not written by Pocket?
CalvinL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #7
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Nice reviews, Rob!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 12:36 AM   #8
tobassam
tobassam began at the beginning.

Device: Poketbook
Thanks for the insights. Can you confirm the Android version after the latest firmware upgrade?

Working with Chinese-based generic firmware? ...hmmm

Last edited by tobassam; 11-23-2010 at 12:39 AM.
tobassam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:07 AM   #9
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobassam View Post
Thanks for the insights. Can you confirm the Android version after the latest firmware upgrade?

Working with Chinese-based generic firmware? ...hmmm
When I look at the firmware version it just says Eclair. Other than that i have no other version information.

Thanks, GA Russell!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:32 AM   #10
Icewyng
Addict
Icewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura aboutIcewyng has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook IQ
I don't know if that could help:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=664532

I hope that this thread can be of some help. XDA is a good site for that sort of things.
Icewyng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 08:58 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Maybe google for "IQ ad popup" and see if there is a solution? It sounds just weird, no doubt about it.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #12
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
he's probably the first person to get the IQ w/ this version of the firmware.

hopefully one of the resellers or a PB rep will chime in before long.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:51 AM   #13
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I have some free apps on my Droid that are ad supported so I wasn't surprised to see one on the IQ. The file manager I use on my Droid has a free ad supported version and a pay no ad version.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
yes its probably from one of the installed apps . ill see if i can find out which.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:53 AM   #15
speedtouch
eBook Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalvinL View Post
Those Chinese are "support widget and rich web application" and "the latest stock news"
Why they got some Chinese ads on it? Does it mean the firmware is not written by Pocket?
CalvinL, thanks for the translation. I forgot to tell you that in my earlier post today. It would indeed appear that some Chinese adware has been included with PB's firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icewyng View Post
I don't know if that could help:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=664532

I hope that this thread can be of some help. XDA is a good site for that sort of things.
That is a nice app. Thanks, Icewyng. I think that app is primarily to stop ads on the web browser. That's not the issue I have. The ads are showing up in the Android File Manager. Weird! It would be like opening Windows Explorer to look at your C drive only to have ads show up in the Explorer window. Very strange and suspicious behavior.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soondai View Post
he's probably the first person to get the IQ w/ this version of the firmware.

hopefully one of the resellers or a PB rep will chime in before long.
Yes, I hope so too. Surely Tvpupsik will see this post from me since it was her I bought my IQ through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I have some free apps on my Droid that are ad supported so I wasn't surprised to see one on the IQ. The file manager I use on my Droid has a free ad supported version and a pay no ad version.
Right, I could understand having ads if it was an app I installed. But this AFM is one that came with the IQ. It's not some add-on I did myself.