Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I actually started a thread about the Wagons West books I read as a teen. I enjoyed them there but didn't read them all and was looking for feedback on them from some others.

Anyway... not sure what you consider "western" but they are about the expansion to the western states with characters like Sam Houston and others around that time.

Here is a link to my lonely 1 message thread.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ht=wagons+west

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:45 PM   #17
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Yeah, I remember Cooper with the same fondness that I remember "The Lonesome Dove" (see my previous post).

I also remember a western movie ("Westward the Women" I believe the title was. Wish I could find an affordable copy of it.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:38 AM   #18
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
I always for get that! and feedbooks havent looked there either!

any recommended favourites Don?

If you want to experience one of the great classic writers of westerns, a man who popularized the western at the turn of the last century, then you should try Zane Grey.

Clifton Adams is famous for his paperback novels of the 1950s, so you might try him. I have three by him that I've assembled.

RWood has also assembled a number of westerns. Try Bret Harte, a contemporary of Mark Twain.

For a western writer whose works are NOT in the public domain, try Louis L'Amour.

Another very famous writer is Max Brand. We have nothing by him on our site; I'll see if there's anything available in the PD so we can all enjoy it -- if it's in the public domain.

There are a lot of enjoyable western out there that were published during the 30s and 40s. One writer I loved reading when I was a teenager was Peter Field. If his works were available I'd stop work on every book I'm doing and concentrate on this writer. I remember him as being extremely fun to read.

I'll make it a personal challenge to work on some more Westerns to add to our library.

Westerns, as a distinct genre, can be very enjoyable to read.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:17 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
If you want to experience one of the great classic writers of westerns, a man who popularized the western at the turn of the last century, then you should try Zane Grey.
Zane Grey - a New York dentist! - basically invented the genre of the "Western". His books would certainly be good ones to start with.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:36 AM   #20
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Excellent, I shall start with some Zane Grey.

Thank you
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 08:16 AM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Excellent, I shall start with some Zane Grey.

Thank you

I just put together a Max Brand novel for you, with more on the way.

Don
Old 10-26-2008, 12:04 PM   #22
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Zane Grey - a New York dentist! - basically invented the genre of the "Western". His books would certainly be good ones to start with.
Grey certainly created the Western genre, but for historical precendent, one must also look back to the Dime Novels of the late 19th C. for tales of Indian Capture narratives and tales of adventures.

Don
Old 10-26-2008, 01:01 PM   #23
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Go wiht any of The Sackett books by Louis L'Amour. They are my favorite westerns..
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:21 PM   #24
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
You may want to try True Grit by Charles Portis, Little Big Man by Thomas Berger, Shane by Jack Schaefer and the Pulitzer Prize winning Lonesome Dove.
Also,Elmore Leonard started out writing westerns
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 10:55 PM   #25
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
If you would like to get a sense of what the west was like in reality, I recommend Mark Twain's Roughing It. It was wriiten during the times by a man who was there.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #26
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Quote:
I dont think I have ever read a Western!? which is strange as I love this Genre of Film.

I guess I want ones that have that skilled at violence dark character who finds redemption in stepping in against the odds to actually do something good against their normal behaviours.

Any suggestions gratefully received
Hopalong Cassidy (no - not those wretched movies - the books by Clarence E Mulford). The book Hopalong Cassidy was quite a bit rougher, and the books are a fine chunk of escapism.. Dunno whether I'd call them dark, but rough hewn would be a reasonable description.

There are a couple in ebook form (try this http://manybooks.net/authors/mulfordc.html - also fictionwise).

Ross
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
A Log of a Cowboy, here on the site, is a really good source for what the cowboys did, as well. Not a lot of shootemup, but a lot of description of day to day life.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 11:02 AM   #28
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
One place to start might be Owen Wister's _The Virginian_, which arguably began the genre in the US. It became the loose basis for a TV series of the same name in the early 60's starring James Drury. Madame Broshkina contributed a Sony Reader version to MobileRead

Zane Grey was already been mentioned as classic westerns. Project Gutenberg of Australia has a fair bit of Zane, and pointers ot others, here

But while Bret Harte is mentioned in this thread and it worth reading, I have a hard time classifying him as writing westerns as the term is normally used. His stories tend to be California gold rush tales, which aren't quite the same thing.
______
Dennis

Last edited by DMcCunney; 10-31-2008 at 11:13 AM.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 02:44 PM   #29
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
One place to start might be Owen Wister's _The Virginian_, which arguably began the genre in the US. It became the loose basis for a TV series of the same name in the early 60's starring James Drury. Madame Broshkina contributed a Sony Reader version to MobileRead

Zane Grey was already been mentioned as classic westerns. Project Gutenberg of Australia has a fair bit of Zane, and pointers ot others, here

But while Bret Harte is mentioned in this thread and it worth reading, I have a hard time classifying him as writing westerns as the term is normally used. His stories tend to be California gold rush tales, which aren't quite the same thing.
______
Dennis

There's a lot more Zane Grey, right here on MobileRead.

Grey, Zane: An American Angler in Australia. v1. 21 Aug. 07 LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: 30,000 On The Hoof. v1. 28 May 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Lone Star Ranger. v1. 23 Dec 07 LRF Flogiston
Grey, Zane: Lost Pueblo. v1. 28 May 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Ohio River Trilogy. v1. 21 Jan 08 LRF Flogiston
Grey, Zane: Riders of the Purple Sage. v1. 23 Dec 07 LRF Flogiston
Grey, Zane: Sunset Pass. v1. 02 June 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: The Hash Knife Outfit. v1. 28 May 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: The Rustlers of Pecos County v1.0 2007-10-22 LRF JSWolf
Grey, Zane: The Rustlers of Pecos County v1.0 2007-10-22 PRC JSWolf
Grey, Zane: The Rustlers of Pecos County. IMP. v1.0 2007-10-22 IMP JSWolf
Grey, Zane: The Thundering Herd. v1. 28 May 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Twin Sombreros. v1. 26 June 07 Other Fiction LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Under The Tonto Rim. v1. 28 May 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Wanderer of the Wasteland. v1. 24 June 07 Other Fiction LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Wilderness Trek. v1. 30 June 07 Western LRF Dr. Drib
Grey, Zane: Wildfire v1. 17 June 07 LRF slayda

Don