Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #1
greens
Connoisseur
greens began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Glo and Manga/Comics (CBZ&CBR Discussion)

Hello to anyone, I have not yet got the Kobo Glo and I wish to ask some question to the owners if possible, please!

1) Can be hidden all the instrument bars for reading comics and manga in real full screen mode when reading cbr/cbz files?

2) Can the Kobo Glo be used in "Landscape Mode" while reading cbr/cbz files?

Thanks -a lot- for your great kindness my friends!
greens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:47 AM   #2
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kindle NT, PRS-650
1) Yes, nothing but the picture is displayed. You have to tap in the middle of the screen to make the options appear.

2) Yes, you can do landscape, but if you do that with a portrait page, it's automatically set to fill the full width of the screen, and it shows you the bottom of the page. Problem is that's the minimal zoom, and you can't get to the top of the page : you can't move the picture by sliding with your finger, and swiping gets you to the next/previous page, bottom half again. Well I don't know if it's very clear, but to sum up, landscape is made for landscape pages. Also to note : you can't turn page from a zoomed page, you have to zoom out first.
Papi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papi View Post
Also to note : you can't turn page from a zoomed page, you have to zoom out first.
Maybe this has changed with 2..1.4, but...

I opened the one comic I have, changed to landscape and zoomed in a little. When I dragged the page to see the edge, and then dragged again, it went to the next page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 09:45 AM   #4
Papi
Addict
Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Papi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Maybe this has changed with 2..1.4, but...

I opened the one comic I have, changed to landscape and zoomed in a little. When I dragged the page to see the edge, and then dragged again, it went to the next page.
My bad, you're right. It works with CBR / CBZ files, and pretty well in fact since it keeps the zoom level through the pages. Would be even better if it kept the position of the zommed image too, but they would have to find another gesture for turning page then. With PDF files though, if I'm not mistaked again, you can't turn pages when zoomed in.

Last edited by Papi; 10-14-2012 at 09:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:07 AM   #5
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
Quote:
My bad, you're right. It works with CBR / CBZ files, and pretty well in fact since it keeps the zoom level through the pages. Would be even better if it kept the position of the zommed image too, but they would have to find another gesture for turning page then. With PDF files though, if I'm not mistaked again, you can't turn pages when zoomed in.
If you hit those arrows at the bottom, you can change pages while zoomed.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #6
greens
Connoisseur

@Papi I'm very sorry because of my english that in not really good, can I ask you to repeat please?
Do you mean that in landscape mode the kobo glo can not zoom, and can not do "top down vertical pan"?

So is it lock like this example and is it impossible to move anymore?

Thx to you all for support!
Old 10-14-2012, 12:17 PM   #7
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greens View Post
@Papi I'm very sorry because of my english that in not really good, can I ask you to repeat please?
Do you mean that in landscape mode the kobo glo can not zoom, and can not do "top down vertical pan"?

So is it lock like this example and is it impossible to move anymore?

Thx to you all for support!
No, you can still scroll and change pages. But you have to have the menu bar open to access the arrow buttons. No full page zoom at that point.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:53 PM   #8
Papi
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
If you hit those arrows at the bottom, you can change pages while zoomed.
I meant from full screen but that's correct.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #9
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haesslich View Post
No, you can still scroll and change pages. But you have to have the menu bar open to access the arrow buttons. No full page zoom at that point.
thx! so the real fullscreen is avaiable only in vertical (like the new example, lol I have to admit is funny to make it).

At the end do you belive guys (and ladies) that this kobo glo is a good reader for manga and comics?

Thanks to you all!!!
Old 10-14-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Papi
Addict

@greens : with a CBZ file (PDF handling is different), if I switch to landscape, the lower half of your image would take the whole screen (kind of "fit to width'"), and that is the minimal zoom so I can't get what your image shows. Also, again from full screen, I can't scroll to the top of the image which makes it unusable for me, but maybe I missed something. Gestures to go to next / previous pages work, but I found no way to get to the upper half of the page.
The resolution is good enough for regular size mangas to be read in portrait mode (for me at least) anyway.
Old 10-14-2012, 02:20 PM   #11
greens
Connoisseur

Quote:
@greens : with a CBZ file (PDF handling is different), if I switch to landscape, the lower half of your image would take the whole screen (kind of "fit to width'"), and that is the minimal zoom so I can't get what your image shows. Also, again from full screen, I can't scroll to the top of the image which makes it unusable for me, but maybe I missed something. Gestures to go to next / previous pages work, but I found no way to get to the upper half of the page.
The resolution is good enough for regular size mangas to be read in portrait mode (for me at least) anyway.
Thanks a lot @Papi. I hope to not get lost in translation again. Well @9littlebees explained to me in PM this trick, that I really wish to share. I quote him at the end of my post, so you can try to find out a way.

Quote:
When putting the Glo in landscape mode, you get the full width of the book, so you can only see the top half. When it is in landscape mode, you actually cannot move the comic up or down, unless you zoom in first.

You can only drag an image around if you have first zoomed in, even if only a little bit.
p.s.
@Papi so I have understand that if you zoom a little bit you can scroll the whole image top down. I hope that I have understand well what @9littlebees was explain to me, because my level of realizing things in english in not that great level... I mean... XD by the way! friends! and thanks for your help!
Old 10-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #12
Haesslich
Fanatic

It's fine for regular manga, even without resizing everything. I do that anyways, to reduce file size. Unless you only read items with two-page spreads.
Old 10-14-2012, 04:32 PM   #13
9littlebees
Connoisseur
9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice9littlebees is just really nice

Device: Sony Xperia Arc; Kobo Glo
No worries on responding to your PM, greens. Whether it is "fine" enough to read in the standard vertical / portrait position really depends on the manga / comic you're reading. If the text is large enough, no problem.

Otherwise (as I recommended in the PM), you should consider a 7-10 inch Android tablet, as decent Chinese ones can be had for not a lot of money and there are some excellent CBR / CBZ format reader apps that are available either for free or for reasonably cheap (eg. Moon+ Reader).
9littlebees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 06:37 PM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
With PDF files though, if I'm not mistaked again, you can't turn pages when zoomed in.
Wrong again

With a zoomed in PDF, again drag the page all the way to one side. A black strip will appear with an arrow in it. Press the arrow to turn the page.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #15
greens
Connoisseur

Hey friends listen to this story, yesterday I wrote at the Kobo Team (service care) to ask those question, I belive it was before I came here to open this topic.

Well I wish to show the incongruences.

I wrote

Quote:
Hello dear Kobo crew,

Can I ask to you few questions if it is possible?

1) Can the Kobo Glo be used in Landscape Mode while reading cbr/cbz files? I need it to read comics.

2) And can be hide all the instrument bars for reading comics and manga in real full screen mode when reading cbr/cbz files (also for comics and manga)?

Thanks a lot for your great kindness!

by Greens

The Answer

Quote:
Hello Greens
Thank you for contacting Kobo customer care.

Comics are mostly for the Kobo Vox and for apple devices. There are very few, if any comic books that will work on an eReader.
Also, our eReaders unfortunately do not have the ability to go into landscape mode.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

Looking forward to your response
Sincerely
The Kobo Team
So they do not know that Kobo Glo (fortunately, otherwise I would not bought) can go in landscape mode?