Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 11-18-2011, 05:06 PM   #91
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Nothing for the Fire. Before it gave you the option to delete the book from your Kindle instead of remove from device but now with the Personal documents cloud it's not really needed because it's added when you email it to your Kindle.
So I should take the [pdoc] tag out, correct.

Should I add the [ebok] tag.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:35 PM   #92
SamL
I mess around with Epubs
SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.SamL once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: mac, ipad, nook, kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by sadievan View Post
So I should take the [pdoc] tag out, correct.

Should I add the [ebok] tag.

Carol
Thats what I did. This was only so I could get my books to show up under "books" as opposed to "docs" when I loaded them on to my Fire. Other people were having luck with just taking the [pdoc] tag out, but it didn't work for me until I added the [ebok] tag.
SamL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 05:46 PM   #93
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamL View Post
Thats what I did. This was only so I could get my books to show up under "books" as opposed to "docs" when I loaded them on to my Fire. Other people were having luck with just taking the [pdoc] tag out, but it didn't work for me until I added the [ebok] tag.
Thanks I have the opposite problem. My sideloaded mobi books even with Pdoc tag show up in books and not docs.

I think it's the method I am using. I am downloading in Dropbox, then I move it to the Books folder then I open the book in File Expert and choose for it to open in Kindle.

Before I had to reboot to get them to show up but now I just do the above. SCION was the one who showed me how to do this.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 08:02 PM   #94
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Thanks I have the opposite problem. My sideloaded mobi books even with Pdoc tag show up in books and not docs.

I think it's the method I am using. I am downloading in Dropbox, then I move it to the Books folder then I open the book in File Expert and choose for it to open in Kindle.

Before I had to reboot to get them to show up but now I just do the above. SCION was the one who showed me how to do this.
OK. I'm really confused. What's the advantage of having them show up in docs rather than books.

Carol
Old 11-18-2011, 08:06 PM   #95
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
OK. I'm really confused. What's the advantage of having them show up in docs rather than books.

Carol
None at the moment. I do believe it is design just for that personal documents like non books unless they ever give the personal documents cloud feature to the KF then it's useless really.

Of couse all books emailed to your Fire go on that shelf.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:15 PM   #96
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
None at the moment. I do believe it is design just for that personal documents like non books unless they ever give the personal documents cloud feature to the KF then it's useless really.

Of couse all books emailed to your Fire go on that shelf.
Are you saying if you email the books they go on the shelf but if not they are on the carousel?

I don't have my Fire yet. I actually started another thread. Post office said they delivered it today at 3:00pm. I was home and NO FIRE.

Have to wait til tomorrow to check with my local post office I guess.

Carol
Old 11-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #97
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Are you saying if you email the books they go on the shelf but if not they are on the carousel?

I don't have my Fire yet. I actually started another thread. Post office said they delivered it today at 3:00pm. I was home and NO FIRE.

Have to wait til tomorrow to check with my local post office I guess.

Carol
If the tracking says delivered don't panic. I had it happen it means your Fire is at home with your mailman or mail lady. She does this to me all the time. The next time she comes around it will be delivered.
Mine doesn't even leave a yellow slip.

All Emailed books go in Docs Amazon and most Sideloaded books will show up in Books. It's a bit iffy sometimes sideloaded books show up in Docs. It's all about the tag in the book so it depends how the book was made.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:45 PM   #98
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
No there is no option in ES File Explorer for this. I wish there was.
I'm glad you got it to work. However, you misunderstand the purpose for my post. ES File Explorer should never have a Launch By Default when managing it under Applications.

The reason I bring this up is because other Apps will. For example, say you have two PDF Readers, Mantano and the Kindle Reader. The Kindle Stock PDF Reader (Quick Office) is probably the Launch by Default App because it was installed first. If you were to touch a PDF in ES File Explorer the Kindle App would display it be default. If you want Mantano to display it, you have to Clear Defaults under Launch by default for Quick Office in the Applications Manager. The next time you touch a PDF in ES File Explorer the Fire will prompt you and ask you what App you want to use to open the PDF. You can check Use as Default and then Mantano and every time you launch any PDF Mantano will open. This is a very common problem people have when trying to change default web browsers in Android. They want to use Opera by default, but every time they try to surf with Opera the Stock Browser pops up by default. If you want to use Opera by default you have to Clear the Defaults in the Launch by Default section of the Application Manager for the Stock Browser. The next time you surf with Opera you will be prompted as to which browser you want to use at which point you can check Use as default and then select Opera.

It shouldn't matter what File Explorer you use, once you touch the file and it has an App associated by default, the default App will open it.

Which brings me full circle. If you download a book or any other file and the Fire asks you do you want to "Open As..." with "Music", "Video", "Text", "Choose Applications" as the choices, be careful which one you select because you could inadvertently assign a File to an App that really won't open it, and the next time you download a similar file Android will try to open it again with the same App if it is instructed to do so by default.

I hope this isn't too confusing. It's pretty important to know especially when you decide you prefer and want to use one App over another and the other App keeps forcing itself open by default.

Anyway, I'm very happy to see you got the problem solved.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-19-2011 at 10:09 AM.
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 09:10 PM   #99
sadievan
Wizard

Quote:
If the tracking says delivered don't panic. I had it happen it means your Fire is at home with your mailman or mail lady. She does this to me all the time. The next time she comes around it will be delivered.
Mine doesn't even leave a yellow slip.

All Emailed books go in Docs Amazon and most Sideloaded books will show up in Books. It's a bit iffy sometimes sideloaded books show up in Docs. It's all about the tag in the book so it depends how the book was made.
Thanks Blossom. If it was the regular guy I probably wouldn't worry. But my mail was delivered earlier and I was home when they say it was supposed to be delivered. Nobody rang a bell or anything. I'll call my local post office tomorrow morning and see if they can tell me anything. I deleted my CC from Amazon just in case.

So back on topic. Do you leave the [pdoc] tag in the book or do you remove it?

Carol
Old 11-19-2011, 12:00 AM   #100
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I'm glad you got it to work. However, you misunderstand the purpose for my post. ES File Explorer should never have a Launch By Default when managing it under Applications.

It shouldn't matter what File Explorer you use, once you touch the file and it has an App associated by default, the default App will open it.

I hope this isn't too confusing. It's pretty important to know especially when you decide you prefer and want to use one App over another and the other App keeps forcing itself open by default.
I don't mean making ES File Explorer default in anything. You misunderstood. I mean getting it to open mobi in the Kindle app. It wont allow it. I understand how defaults works and how to reset them but this program doesn't have the option to even open it with the Kindle app.

File Expert will give you options to choose what to open the file with and you can set the Kindle app as default for mobi files using File Expert still ES File Explorer wont do anything with mobi files after I set the Kindle app to open them. It will only open common files formats it recognizes.

So what I was trying to say ES File Explorer wont do anything with a mobi file even when the Kindle app is set as default. It just sits there as an unrecognized file format.

Amazon has the mobi file unassociated with the Android file system by default, ES File Explorer refuses to do anything with the file even after you associate it with the Kindle app but you can use file Expert to open mobi and get them on your Books shelf without restarting the device.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:54 AM   #101
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
I did some experiments with sideloading PDF and mobi/prc books into my KF from my KDX.

I took a few PDF'S, and copied some into the "Books" folder on my KF; I took some other PDF's and copied them into the "Documents" folder. It didn’t matter what folder I put the PDF’S in (“books” or “documents”), they appeared under the “Docs” selection on the KF. They had "cover" images that consisted of the PDF filename displayed on a white background.

I then tried the same with some mobi and prc format books acquired from non-Amazon sources (these are easy to identify because they don't include an Amazon ASIN number in their filenames). No matter what folder I copied prc/mobi files into, they appeared under the "Docs" selection on the KF. Interestingly, the mobi files had "real" cover images, the prc books did not -- they just had the text of the book title on a white background.

The only books that appear under the "Books" selection are "Amazon" books. The books selection also has a filter at the top of the page which lets you display Amazon books resident on the cloud, or just those resident on the physical KF device. I presume the KF can distinguish which files in the folders go where based on the presence of the ASIN number in the filename, which if present, means the book will be displayed under "Books" -- all others will display under "Docs"

There is a welcome letter in the “documents” folder from Bezos. It is a .prc file; it appears on the carousel, but not in either “Books” or “Docs” on the KF. Also, the KF User Guide appears under “Docs” on the KF, but I cannot find it in any folder on the KF when I attach the KF to my laptop.

Under the “Books” folder is a folder called “Covers” which contains one file for each Amazon book actually resident on your KF. The name is the same as the first part of the Amazon book file name (which is the Amazon ASIN id?). You can open the cover file in MS Paint. It will be a 96 bpi image of the cover 160 bits high and 100-123 bits (as far as my samples showed) wide. There doesn’t appear to be any such cover facility for the documents folder (although the KF User Guide which appears under “Docs” does have a cover image — but then how the user guide resides on the KF is itself obscure).

So it appears that folder residence on the KF is only loosely coupleD with where it is displayed on the KF (if at all).
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #102
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I don't mean making ES File Explorer default in anything. You misunderstood. I mean getting it to open mobi in the Kindle app. It wont allow it.

ES File Explorer wont do anything with mobi files after I set the Kindle app to open them. It will only open common files formats it recognizes.

Amazon has the mobi file unassociated with the Android file system by default, ES File Explorer refuses to do anything with the file even after you associate it with the Kindle app

I didn't know this.

I expect once the maker of ES File Explorer learns of this (I'm sure they already know by now) that we may see it included in a future update. Until then, I'll be grabbing a copy of File Expert from the Amazon App Store.

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-19-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #103
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed2 View Post
I didn't know this.

I expect once the maker of ES File Explorer learns of this (I'm sure they already know by now) that we may see it included in a future update. Until then, I'll be grabbing a copy of File Expert from the Amazon App Store.

Thanks again for the info.
You can grab a more recent version from the developer's site. It will come down as a zip file rename to apk and it installs just fine. I find the black ghost theme the best. You will need to uninstall the Amazon version first.
Old 11-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #104
obsessed2
Wizard

Quote:
You can grab a more recent version from the developer's site. It will come down as a zip file rename to apk and it installs just fine. I find the black ghost theme the best. You will need to uninstall the Amazon version first.

Cool. Thanks !!! It downloaded with an APK extension, no renaming was necessary.

For those interested: http://www.xageek.com/en/

Last edited by obsessed2; 11-19-2011 at 07:38 PM.
Old 11-19-2011, 10:24 PM   #105
fredlave
Connoisseur
fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fredlave ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I use Dropbox (www.dropbox.com to sign up - it's free) to move files from one computer to another. It's not as elegant as syncing by Amazon but it works across platforms and with any computer attached to the Internet.
fredlave is offline   Reply With Quote