Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 10-14-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
John H
John H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverJohn H exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Aura HD
Barnes and Noble's reader: first pics

Gizmodo got some pictures of upcoming reader:
http://gizmodo.com/
John H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Truly a chimera. Methinks I also saw a built in reading light at the top?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 08:24 AM   #3
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Interesting!

I'm wondering if they are going to continue to support the DRM'd ereader format or move to epub?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:28 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
I sure hope that LCD turns off while reading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Truly a chimera. Methinks I also saw a built in reading light at the top?
Actually it appears to wrap around the device. Perhaps it also fits the other way, covering the screens when not in use?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:30 AM   #5
lev
Zealot
lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lev has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
interesting indeed.
I thought plastic logic made an announcement that B&N reader would not be in color e-ink screen, although they do have plans to produce a model later on.
from the pictures it does look like it will be in color ( look at the bottom menu part where books covers are in color.)
lev is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Quote:
Originally Posted by lev View Post
interesting indeed.
I thought plastic logic made an announcement that B&N reader would not be in color e-ink screen, although they do have plans to produce a model later on.
from the pictures it does look like it will be in color ( look at the bottom menu part where books covers are in color.)
Just the bottom LCD part is in color - the reading screen is the regular eink gray scale.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
^ What he said.

Last edited by Dylrob; 10-14-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:39 AM   #8
MrFinch
Collector
MrFinch has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Nokia 770
Oh my, I REALLY want one of those. And cheaper than the Kindle? Yes please...
MrFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFinch View Post
Oh my, I REALLY want one of those. And cheaper than the Kindle? Yes please...

Refurbished Kindles are pretty reasonable....
Old 10-14-2009, 09:00 AM   #10
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
So they're basically combining an ebook reader with elements from an iPod touch. I don't expect to see this thing for a penny less than $349, and probably closer to $399 (or more).
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:19 AM   #11
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
It looks pretty cool but I wish they said more about it. We'll have to wait until next week I guess . . .
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I sure hope that LCD turns off while reading.
They mentioned it does turns off on a caption next to one of the pictures.
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
planned to be sold at less than the price of a Kindle

From the Gizmodo article, "image 5" blurb:

"Pricing is yet unknown, but no matter what, it was planned to be sold at less than the price of a Kindle, with the majority of revenue made up through book sales."

http://gizmodo.com/5381149/bn-reader...electedImage=5

btw, this blurry pic look pretty real to me.
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 10:44 AM   #14
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
First reader I have ever seen that makes me consider something different to my Sony.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #15
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
First reader I have ever seen that makes me consider something different to my Sony.
and why is that?