Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-05-2018, 07:58 PM   #1
Michael007800
Michael007800 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2
Screen frozen and stuck

Really not happy about this situation and rather afraid about what will happen next!

I bought a book from Amazon which arrived damaged, not happy about that as I paid for Prime just for next day delivery. Dealt with their customer service who claimed it will take another week for a replacement to arrive which I am really not happy about.

I decided to head over to Unbound to get the ebook version (Attack of the Flickering Skeletons by Stuart Ashen if anyone is interested or know of his brown sofa!) and bought that version in the meantime so I could load the ePub onto my Kobo Touch!

Opened it up, screentearing of the cover and it will not turn on. Really not happy about that as it refuses to turn on (green light on the top forever on) and the screen is frozen like this no matter what I do.

I use this reader a lot and have owned it since I was 12 years old when it first came out, all of a sudden it breaks (tried charging and the rear reset button) with no explanation. It hasn't been dropped, abused, nothing of the sort as I to take good care of these things.

Click image for larger version

Name:	29behe3.jpg
Views:	965
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	161320

Thought I would try Kobo support, despite knowing it is now a legacy model, but I really cannot afford to buy a new reader which I am dissapointed by. I'd rather keep this one but that will not be the case, and to my surprise the support will only cost me $24 BEFORE I even get told whether or not I can be helped.

Any ideas on what to do next? I cannot afford a new device, I'm $24 down on support I'm not gonna get and my device is all but dead...

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-06-2018 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Oversized image attached & thumbnailed
Michael007800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:04 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's a broken/cracked glass substrate. Impossible to fix, short of replacing the entire display unit and the display happens to be the most expensive, and hardest to reach component of an ereader so it usually almost cost as much as an entirely new one.

If you know the exact model of the screen you can search aliexpress and other sites for replacement parts, but then... it has to arrive at your location unbroken and you have to be able to perform the replacement yourself without breaking it.

eInk displays are super fragile (even more so when you take them out of their shell i.e. the ereader case)

Last edited by frostschutz; 01-05-2018 at 08:07 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2018, 10:04 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Yep, unfortunately that looks like a broken screen substrate. E-ink is pretty fragile so even if you take good care of it all it may take is the device getting slightly twisted sometime to crack it (or cause a stress point that may break later after a big temperature change or something). Not always easy to figure out the exact cause of it breaking, and often it's not due to "abuse" or dropping the device, just some unidentified bad luck/circumstances.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broken, kobo, kobo touch, support