Notices

Old 11-21-2018, 11:45 AM   #1
kdusr
Connoisseur
kdusr began at the beginning.

Device: KOA, KV, KOA2,PW4,PW5
Exclamation winter is coming, KO2 is freeze

winter is coming, KO2 is freeze
now temperature of outside is 2 or 3 °C in my city, this morning I read book on KO2 at train station,
suddenly KO2 touch screen do not has any response, it was frozen, train was coming, when I got on the train for five minutes
frozen screen of KO2 was recovered, I Realized low temperature caused KO2 screen problem, any KO2 user got same problem?

Last edited by kdusr; 12-14-2018 at 06:14 AM.
kdusr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 12:10 PM   #2
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
That's not uncommon for any e-ink device. Amazon specifies operating temperature for the Oasis at 5°C to 35°C (41°F - 95°F). You should avoid using your device outside that range.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #3
bozza111
Connoisseur
bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.bozza111 knows the square root of minus one.

Device: KOA2
My first KOA2 was once left outside overnight. It was dropped on a lawn that was already covered in snow. Additionally heavy snow fall covered the kindle so I was unable to find it. The temperatures dropped to about -15°C.

After about 2 or 3 days a friend found it and returned it to me. After warming it up for about 10 minutes I decided to switch it on. The device worked perfectly well.

I think the device complained that the LEDs will not switch on due to the temperature. But that issue went away after I took the device inside for about an hour.
bozza111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 02:50 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
They also get locked up in Extreme heat like being in a car or High Temps & Direct sun. Which is funny Not since they advertise them Read in Sun!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 03:54 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
They also get locked up in Extreme heat like being in a car or High Temps & Direct sun. Which is funny Not since they advertise them Read in Sun!
Given the way a car can heat up in sunlight? One recent study concerned with the number of children who die in parked cars can be found at: Evaluating the impact of solar radiation on pediatric heat balance within enclosed, hot vehicles. One item that stood out was the statement: "In as little as five minutes under an ambient temperature of 30°C, interior car temperatures can rise to 57–68°C" To ease the conversion, 30°C=86°F and 57–68°C=134.6–154.4°F.

I have used ereaders in direct sun such as sitting on the beach in Honolulu while the rest of my family went swimming. No problems with freezing up though I didn't try reading in a greenhouse such as a parked car. The ambient temperature hit a high about 29°C during the time we were there. That temperature is well inside the 0°C to 45°C operating range Kobo gives for their ereaders or the 0°C to 50°C eInk specifies for the display alone.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2018, 11:48 PM   #6
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
For when the temperature is cold, why not give your ereader a nice cosy cover plus a jacket? It might look very cute.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Robmonster
Wizard!
Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robmonster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Voyage + Oasis2
If that doesn't work pour a small measure of hot chocolate into the charging port.
Robmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 10:47 AM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmonster View Post
If that doesn't work pour a small measure of hot chocolate into the charging port.
Old 11-23-2018, 12:15 PM   #9
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Even if/when it doesn't actually freeze, you'll notice that an eInk screen will get noticeably sluggish as you start to near the extremes on both sides of the operating range (and that, at least, is perfectly normal) .

(NB: Yes, there are also a few sweet spots when it gets *snappier*. Temperature plays a large role in how the screen tech behaves).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:30 PM   #10
niftium
niftium began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
So let's say I (hypothetically of course) left my Kindle in the car's trunk overnight outside around 20-25F and that the ghosting has been rather gnarly since then, with a corresponding drop in contrast. Going through the hassle of a full factory reset isn't going to do anything to improve matters, right?
niftium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2018, 01:52 PM   #11
BookCat
C L J

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftium View Post
So let's say I (hypothetically of course) left my Kindle in the car's trunk overnight outside around 20-25F and that the ghosting has been rather gnarly since then, with a corresponding drop in contrast. Going through the hassle of a full factory reset isn't going to do anything to improve matters, right?
Next time, leave it a hot water bottle.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:07 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
Reading in the sun probably won't heat up the device too much. But a car in the sun with the windows closed and no A/C can get up to 400 degrees. Nothing electronic (or human) can handle that.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:48 PM   #13
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdusr View Post
winter is coming, KO2 is freeze
now temperature of outside is 2 or 3 °C in my city, this morning I read book on KO2 at train station,
suddenly KO2 touch screen do not has any response, it was frozen, train was coming, when I got on the train for five minutes
frozen screen of KO2 was recovered, I Realized low temperature caused KO2 screen problem, any KO2 user got same problem?

It happened to me today but no low temp I had to force a reboot funny thing tho with my nook I had a too cold temp warning which was odd once on my glowlight plus
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 06:13 AM   #14
rainbowlari
Banned
rainbowlari began at the beginning.

Device: none
I had a too cold temp warning too
rainbowlari is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
problem, screen, temperature