Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Everything Audiobooks > Audiobook Hardware & Software

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 12:11 PM   #1
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Fire HD8 Gen7, Moto G7, Sansa Clip v2, Ruizu X26
Question: Smart Audiobook Player app for Android

My apologies if I have posted this thread in the wrong subforum - I'm not sure exactly where it fits.

My question is on the Smart Audiobook Player app, on an Android device (specifically Fire HD8), using bluetooth earbuds.

I am wondering if anyone uses a similar setup and can tell me if the "play/pause" button found on some of these earbuds will work to play/pause Smart Audiobook Player?

Currently, I carry my Fire tablet in a small bag and have el-cheapo wired earbuds (which are fine for audiobooks, but not ideal for music). This setup presents a few challenges. For one, in order to pause an audiobook being played, I currently have to open the bag, flip open the Fire's cover, and then hit the pause icon on the touchscreen. This is not terribly convenient (to put it mildly). And of course the wires going to my current earbuds occasionally grab on my clothes and tug on the earbuds. This is annoying, but is still usable.

I realize this might be more convenient if I used a SmartPhone rather than the Fire to run the app. Except I don't have a SmartPhone (only a FlipPhone).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a relatively inexpensive solution for my desire to "remotely control" Smart Audiobook Play without having to dig the Fire tablet out of the bag I carry it in? Play/pause is all I really need. The ability to skip back/forward would be nice, but that's probably asking too much, and I really shouldn't need that going forward except on rare occasions anyway (like when I have to dig my Fire out of the bag to pause playback, and end up spending two minutes in the process of doing that!)

Thanks in advance for any tips or suggestions!
haertig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 12:26 PM   #2
GreyWolfsGhost
Enthusiast
GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreyWolfsGhost ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Glowlight 3, Kindle Keyboard, android, apple...
I use that app on my phone paired with bluetooth head phones. I believe it works with the buttons on the head phones as i have inadvertently skipped forward/back changing the volume, however i usually use my smart watch to control playback.

Last edited by GreyWolfsGhost; 09-13-2018 at 12:27 PM. Reason: spelling
GreyWolfsGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2018, 06:41 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
I've got a pair of older LG Bluetooth headphones. They pause/raise or lower volume/skip forward and back and when I answer a phone call the audio books pauses, then when I hang up it auto resumes. I actually did not know they did all this, I just picked them up to test them for you and learned all this. Thanks for asking!!
S
Oh and yes, using Smart AudioBook Player.
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 01:58 PM   #4
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yes, my last working pair of Fire earbuds will pause/play using the Smart Audiobook Player app, though I haven't tried it on a tablet.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2018, 05:46 PM   #5
haertig
Wizard
haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haertig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Great! Thanks for all the replies!

Now, my next quest is to find a reasonable set of earbuds. I was just in Costco an hour ago and they had some Beats brand ones for $110. And the Costco website shows some Apple ones for $140. I'm going to look for something cheaper if possible. I was thinking more like $30, unless those all turn out to be total trash. I won't be using these to listen to music, only speech in audiobooks, and I don't need noise canceling either. I already have some great studio monitor headphones for music. I'm not looking for a replacement for those. Earbuds for voice-only should not need to be expensive I wouldn't think.

[edit] p.s. - Even though I had already ruled out the Apple earbuds because of expense, I looked a little closer and would have ruled them out for functionality as well. There is no mechanism for them to play/pause - no buttons. That totally defeats my purpose for wanting earbuds. I guess Apple expects you to do all those functions by voice using Siri. This is not applicable for me. And I would think it would be annoying to people near you in an office setting if you had to speak all your commands rather than silently pressing buttons. Oh well, so much for Apple's design. Way too expensive for me anyway... [/edit]

Last edited by haertig; 09-16-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2018, 05:56 PM   #6
haertig
Wizard

Oh, and FWIW, I just tried my Fire tablet and my bluetooth speaker (not earbuds, just a portable speaker). The bluetooth speaker was able to play/pause Smart Audiobook Player. I did not try the speakers volume controls with Smart (I know those work with music off the tablet), nor it's next/previous buttons either (I know those work with music playing from the tablet as well). I should have thought to test Smart Audiobook Player with my speaker before asking here about earbuds, but my brain is a bit slow at times. At least y'all gave me some good confirmation that the earbuds should work just fine to play/pause. Thanks!
Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM   #7
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haertig View Post

Now, my next quest is to find a reasonable set of earbuds. I was just in Costco an hour ago and they had some Beats brand ones for $110. And the Costco website shows some Apple ones for $140. I'm going to look for something cheaper if possible. I was thinking more like $30, unless those all turn out to be total trash. I won't be using these to listen to music, only speech in audiobooks, and I don't need noise canceling either. I already have some great studio monitor headphones for music. I'm not looking for a replacement for those. Earbuds for voice-only should not need to be expensive I wouldn't think.

[edit] p.s. - Even though I had already ruled out the Apple earbuds because of expense, I looked a little closer and would have ruled them out for functionality as well. There is no mechanism for them to play/pause - no buttons. That totally defeats my purpose for wanting earbuds. I guess Apple expects you to do all those functions by voice using Siri. This is not applicable for me. And I would think it would be annoying to people near you in an office setting if you had to speak all your commands rather than silently pressing buttons. Oh well, so much for Apple's design. Way too expensive for me anyway... [/edit]
I do not have any, nor have I ever heard them, but I have been told that the Beats headphones are very very bass heavy and therefore not great for audiobooks. I guess you don't need that much bass for just voice?
Do you want the kind that are strictly in ear buds or do you want the kind with the cord that goes behind your neck?
S
Old 09-16-2018, 07:11 PM   #8
haertig
Wizard

Cord that goes around neck is fine. Usually (probably "always") those are cheaper.
Old 09-17-2018, 07:08 PM   #9
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:

If you take one out of your ear it will automatically pause the music. Put it back in and it will start back up.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 08:39 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
With iOS device, you can assign double-tap action to play/pause (or Next Track, or Previous Track, or Off — default invokes Siri listening without ‘hey siri’ wake phrase) for one or both AirPods. That said, it takes a bit of ear-hand coordination to reliably double tap an earbud. And as others mention, to pause during playback just remove one earbud from your ear, and replace it to resume playback.

Love my AirPods, but I also carry wired, active noise cancelling headset (Pioneer Rayz) for noisy environments (train commute, overcome road noise when driving). AirPods don’t provide sufficient isolation from external sound in those environments, but are otherwise far superior to other BT headsets I have used previously (and did not cost that much more all things considered).

Apparently (I have not tried it) double-tap on either earbud when paired to an Android device will pause/play (but no way to assign a different function). Quite possibly removing earbud works as well to pause. They generate standard Bluetooth events.

To take a call, double-tap. Double-tap again to hang up.

Last edited by tomsem; 09-17-2018 at 09:15 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Personally, I'd never buy those earbuds. I prefer a set with a wire (between the earbuds!). That way I can remove an earbud from my ear without being afraid of losing it (no need to hold it, it'll just hang on my shoulder).

I wouldn't even consider those extremely cheap bluetooth sets, unless you can find a guaranteed review that the battery life is decent.

I doubt my set is available on the other side of the big pond, but I have two very nice Philips sets (SHQ7900 and SHB4205). The former I use at work (better bass quality and a lot longer battery life) and the second I bought as a double set (2 for the price of 1), so I always have one charging, so I only need to change the set when the battery is empty
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 12:10 PM   #12
silverraven
Guru

https://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...ents=p_89%3ALG
I've got an old old old version of this type of earbud. I like them, I can take one of the ear pieces out without losing it. I also like the fact they are a stiff neck band, it keeps them from sliding down into the back of my shirt. Not sure that happens to anyone else but it drives me nuts! So far my battery is still going strong.
S
Old 09-19-2018, 06:24 PM   #13
haertig
Wizard

For the moment, I am experimenting with going low-tech rather high-tech. I'll see how this plays out before making any earbuds purchase.

Instead of looking for bluetooth earbuds with a play/pause button to use with an Android app (Smart Audiobook Player) on my Fire tablet, I am trying using my current el-cheapo wired earbuds with some ancient el-cheapo hardware I have - a Sandisk Sansa Clip V2 - that is running RockBox firmware. Believe it or not, that old (10 years?) Sansa Clip MP3 player is still going strong! The thing is super small, and has an easy to access play/pause button. I can clip it right to my shirt pocket so it's super easy to access. With the RockBox 3rd party firmware I have installed, I have it set to automatically set a bookmark in the file I am playing when I stop playback. This is a very useful feature that allows the Clip to save it's place in several different files (audiobooks) at the same time. The RockBox firmware also allows you to speed up or slow down playback without altering pitch. And it includes a graphic equalizer so you can fine-tune the sound.

So I'll play with listening to audiobooks on this for a while and see if low-tech (and free!) beats high-tech for my needs. I wish they still made that old Clip player. Newer iterations are reportedly not as good. I think I paid something like $15 for a refurbished Clip a decade ago. Looking back at it, this was a great investment. The thing has performed perfectly all these years.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #14
silverraven
Guru

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I LOVE my Clip+. I still have some that are working great, but on a few the battery is just not holding a charge any more. In my pursuit of a replacement I've bought the above player. I've also gotten ones that are brand name Agptek from Amazon. They are fine, do what I need them to do. Let's face it, nothing will ever be as good as the Sansa's. But for the price they are fine. I've bought a few of them and they seem to be getting better as time goes by.
S
Oh, you can't Rockbox them though, which I know a lot of people like.
Old 09-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #15
haertig
Wizard

Do any of the Ruizu, Agptek or newer Sansa's have a way to set a bookmark in your current file, the implication being that you can have remembered places in several different files? Preferably an automatic bookmark? That's one great feature of the RockBox firmware - it will automatically set a bookmark in whatever file you are playing when you turn it off. You can have multiple bookmarks in the same file, and each file has it's own set of bookmarks.

Not that I need a lot of bookmarks. But sometimes I'll want to listen to an audiobook, and other times maybe to music. I don't want to lose my place in the audiobook because I played music in between. So a simple "resume from where you last left off", which about every MP3 player out there has, is useless if you change files between listenings. Such players will only save your place in the very last file you were listening to.

If the stock firmware in any of these "Clip-like" players can do this different-bookmark-per-file thing, then there is not so much of a need for Rockbox (for audiobooks at least).