Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 10-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Creating custom xray files for Kindle books

I would like to create a custom xray/x-ray file for an ebook I have created.

To clarify...
  • I don't want to auto-create the x-ray file from wikipedia or goodreads
  • I am not publishing through KDP. The file will be distributed independently

Therfore...
The Calibre plugin (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=273189) doesn't look like what I need.
This software (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=245754) also looks like it also just auto generates the file.

Is there something I'm missing, or is there really no way to create a custom xray file outside of the KDP platform?

Thanks! Mods, please move this to a different forum if this isn't the best place to post.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 05:00 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
I suspect either of those tools could be adapted to have an option to add custom entries and options to disable wikipedia and/or goodreads. Have you tried asking either author to do so? It would likely require a significant amount of work, so they would need to be interested, and even if they agree, it would probably take some time. But that is probably the fastest path to what you want. I am not aware of any tool that does what you want. Amazon may have an internal use tool, but that probably automatically goes to wikipedia and goodreads.

I am working on scripts that repair erroneous x-ray files. They will be such that they enventually will be able to create an x-ray files from scratch, but they are in a very early and incomplete state.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #3
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I suspect either of those tools could be adapted to have an option to add custom entries and options to disable wikipedia and/or goodreads. Have you tried asking either author to do so? It would likely require a significant amount of work, so they would need to be interested, and even if they agree, it would probably take some time. But that is probably the fastest path to what you want. I am not aware of any tool that does what you want. Amazon may have an internal use tool, but that probably automatically goes to wikipedia and goodreads.

I am working on scripts that repair erroneous x-ray files. They will be such that they enventually will be able to create an x-ray files from scratch, but they are in a very early and incomplete state.
You can override or replace/supplant Wikipedia entries, etc, from the KDP tool. The question I'd have would be whether or not XRay content would work, if the book doesn't go through Amazon's PW (Publishing Workflow), which is what happens after you push the "save and publish" button. My understanding is that this is processed along with ET, which also happens in the PW.

We haven't been asked to do much with this, so I don't know the answer, but can you add Xray content, and then download the Preview MOBI, and have it work? I suspect that the answer to that is no, and if it is, I don't know of the way that that can be enabled for non-Amazon MOBIs. Were I Amazon, I'd have zero interest in making this available outside of my retail environment. (Just like ET doesn't work unless/until published by Amazon.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 04:53 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKh View Post
I would like to create a custom xray/x-ray file for an ebook I have created.
Are you still interested in generating your own custom x-ray files?

The calibre plugin WordDumb that can generate x-ray files was released a couple of years ago. By default it extracts a contextual quote from the book and wikipedia and/or fandom searches can be optionally enabled.

Recently the capability to supply custom descriptions, aliases, and other tweaks was added.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=334681

In my limited experience, it's initial file is superior to the amazon supplied file, and it can then be customized to almost perfection. I fed it a public domain book over 100 years old with lots of old usage and terminology and WordDumb did a great job.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 01:05 AM   #5
BKh
Zealot
BKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheeseBKh can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle
Thanks! I'll check it out.
BKh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
x-ray, xray