Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 04-11-2018, 03:01 PM   #406
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Only one other idea, for some books, the margins are different for odd and even pages, there is no symmetry ...
Do these books at least have the margins of the left page equal to those of the right page (like two left foot shoes), or do left and right differ completely)?
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 10:01 AM   #407
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung EB60, Onyx M92, Onyx Max2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
Do these books at least have the margins of the left page equal to those of the right page (like two left foot shoes), or do left and right differ completely)?
An example could be more clear with a paper book case :
* page of left : left margin 2 cm, right margin 3 cm;
* page of right : left margin 3 cm, right margin 2 cm.
This take care of the binding (between the left and right page) to keep the text easy to read.
Randy11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:28 PM   #408
Perry R
Perry R began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Max2
Here is my Wish List;

1. Eliminate the pen lag from 3rd party software such as OneNote. This was such a disappointment for me as I have over ten years of OneNote scribbles and wish to continue to use OneNote, preferably on the Max2.
2. When using the Max2 notes. Make the ruled lines and grid templates more transparent or subdued. They are too bold for me to be useful.

Accessory wish. To have a portfolio cover for the Max2. I feel it needs a little more protection when using in an office setting.
Perry R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 05:51 PM   #409
norweger
Addict
norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.norweger is faster than slow light.

Device: Android-phone, HTC Desire Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry R View Post
2. When using the Max2 notes. Make the ruled lines and grid templates more transparent or subdued. They are too bold for me to be useful.
Yes. More templates, please. I like it subdued too.
norweger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:47 AM   #410
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Onyx Boox MAX
Applying the screen protector issue

For those of you concerned about the multiplying scratches due to writing with the stylus or using the eraser on the other tip of the stylus my experience with the screen protector from Boxtoor might be helpful.

In addition to his instructions (https://ereader.store/en/accessoires...xcarta-32.html) you should pay attention to a few details. It is impossible to achieve a 100% dust free environment at your home. The best choice is to apply the protective layer, in your bathroom after taking a hot shower, because steam binds most of the particles in the air. Because of the impossibility to achieve a perfectly clean environment don't expect to be able to apply the cover without any trace of dust getting behind the screen protector. The layer has a silicon film which traps any particle of dust or falling from your skin, even after a bath. Buy at least 6 protective screens because you will need to train your ability to achieve better results. In the best case scenario you'll do a good job with the third layer. Now let's enumerate the difficulties of the process:

1. Dust particles can only be minimised if you use antistatic liquids and cloths to remove in advance any dust trace from the screen, from the device margins and backside, from the surface on which the device stays (for example the toilet seat), and from the two layers adhering to the protective screen itself. Also use a powerful lamp to illuminate the screen so that you can check it.

2. Air bubbles can be eliminated if you take an hour or more to press them towards the edges with a plastic card, both while applying the protective layer on the screen and afterwards. After a few hours look again for the remaining ones and press them repeatedly out. In maximum 24 hours they should entirely disappear.

3. One or two particles will adhere between the screens anyway. Let one be if it is small, and in an edge where it is not easily visible. The particle will tend to gather a very small air bubble around it. Press the air as much as possible, but the final form will stay there after 24 hours, forever.

4.The 13.3 screen is huge for applying another layer on it. It is not comparable with your smartphone experience. Also the distance between the screen protector's edges and the screen's edges is literally 1 mm. That is why it is very difficult to fit the layer perfectly on the device's screen. An imperfect fit means that at one edge the protective screen "meets" the black margin and as a consequence does not adhere completely to the screen's surface. Don't accept this imperfection because air will always gather there, increasing with time the air surface between the layers and attracting dust from the atmosphere. The perfect fit of the layers is a must.

5. If you use to write or underline by pressing with a higher intensity, it is possible that you don't only scratch your capacitative screen, but also create small indentations on it. The air bubbles love to stick there. To prevent that you should press with the credit card firmly on the protective screen as you apply it. It is not easy to do that while concentrating on keeping dust particles out and fitting the layer perfectly at the margins. Even then, you'll have to live with some minuscule bubbles. The good news is that those bubbles as well as an accidental small dust particle far from the center are not visible under normal light conditions.

Ideally you should apply the protective screen right after you received the device and did not use it at all.

Making the protective screen perfectly fit in while avoiding dust particles is a real challenge. You need lots of patience, and protective sheets. I needed no less than 10! To my defense I'm not a really handy guy. Maybe most of you will do with only 5 or so.

Regarding the quality of the protective screen from Booxtor, I would say it is fine, although it is not so matt as described. Don't forget the cover has three layers, not two as Booxtor implies. Remove the third layer (noted as nr.2) after you apply the protective screen on the device. Otherwise the third layer will glare like hell and make your screen look terribly scratched.

Last edited by Drew22; 05-02-2018 at 02:32 AM. Reason: Adding information
Drew22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 10:32 AM   #411
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew22 View Post
For those of you concerned about the multiplying scratches [...] don't expect to be able to apply the cover without any trace of dust getting behind the screen protector. [...] You need lots of patience, and protective sheets. I needed no less than 10!
Why not going to professionals, like the mentioned "Clear-Coat / Mobile Outfitters"?
(note: you must ask for a matte screen, for some reason they also keep reflective ones).

For all of the devices I brought them, not a single fault can be found.
The only question remains, "can any usual matte screen protector be applied to non-glassy layers like those placed above e-ink displays". But I doubt that the covers that you applied will be a special model.
Old 05-01-2018, 11:33 AM   #412
Randy11
Wizard
Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Randy11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
Many thanks! This is indeed very nice screen protector. I was interested in seeing the "worst case". It's no question there must be some reflection but the point is how does it look like - is it a mirror or is it diffused as much as possible.
Hello,

As discussed, the 'worst case' IS the last picture. The aspect in the real life for the last case (last picture) is not like a mirror, it's only annoying, but when I move, just a little, the Max2 with the screen protector, the problem go away, even with the sun in my back.

And in addition, i'm working to my desk, face to the window, and behind me on the ceiling, I have a light on, it's nearly above my head.

When I take the Max2 in two hands (landscape mode), the light's reflect is annoying in the centre of the screen, but if I take the Max2 in portrait mode the reflect is on the top of the screen.

In both case, a small angle delete the reflect. The angle is lower in portrait mode than in landscape mode.

The reflect is due to the image of the source of light, in this case a punctual source.

I hope this help you.

Best regards ;-)
Old 05-01-2018, 11:37 AM   #413
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
For those of you concerned about the multiplying scratches due to writing with the stylus or using the eraser on the other tip of the stylus my experience with the screen protector from Boxtoor might be helpful.

In addition to his instructions (https://ereader.store/en/accessoires...xcarta-32.html) you should pay attention to a few details. It is impossible to achieve a 100% dust free environment at your home. The best choice is to apply the protective layer, in your bathroom after taking a hot shower, because steam binds most of the particles in the air. Because of the impossibility to achieve a perfectly clean environment don't expect to be able to apply the cover without any trace of dust getting behind the screen protector. The layer has a silicon film which traps any particle of dust or falling from your skin, even after a bath. Buy at least 6 protective screens because you will need to train your ability to achieve better results. In the best case scenario you'll do a good job with the third layer. Now let's enumerate the difficulties of the process:

1. Dust particles can only be minimised if you use antistatic liquids and cloths to remove in advance any dust trace from the screen, from the device margins and backside, from the surface on which the device stays (for example the toilet seat), and from the two layers adhering to the protective screen itself. Also use a powerful lamp to illuminate the screen so that you can check it.

2. Air bubbles can be eliminated if you take an hour or more to press them towards the edges with a plastic card, both while applying the protective layer on the screen and afterwards. After a few hours look again for the remaining ones and press them repeatedly out. In maximum 24 hours they should entirely disappear.

3. One or two particles will adhere between the screens anyway. Let one be if it is small, and in an edge where it is not easily visible. The particle will tend to gather a very small air bubble around it. Press the air as much as possible, but the final form will stay there after 24 hours, forever.

4.The 13.3 screen is huge for applying another layer on it. It is not comparable with your smartphone experience. Also the distance between the screen protector's edges and the screen's edges are literally 1 mm. That is why it is very difficult to fit the layer perfectly on the device's screen. An imperfect fit means that at one edge the protective screen "meets" the black margin and as a consequence does not adhere completely to the screen's surface. Don't accept this imperfection because air will always gather there, increasing with time the air surface between the layers and attracting dust from the atmosphere. The perfect fit of the layers is a must.

5. If you use to write or underline by pressing with a higher intensity, it is possible that you don't only scratch your capacitative screen, but also create small indentations on it. The air bubbles love to stick there. To prevent that you should press with the credit card firmly on the protective screen as you apply it. It is not easy to do that while concentrating on keeping dust particles out and fitting the layer perfectly at the margins. Even then, you'll have to live with some minuscule bubbles. The good news is that those bubbles as well as an accidental small dust particle far from the center are not visible under normal light conditions.

Ideally you should apply the protective screen right after you received the device and did not use it at all.

Making the protective screen perfectly fit in while avoiding dust particles is a real challenge. You need lots of patience, and protective sheets. I needed no less than 10! To my defense not a really handy guy. Maybe most of you will do with only 5 or so. (Text follows.)
Only one try to have a good result Yes the bathroom with a hot water is mandatory : https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=370. Thanks for the precisions about the bubbles.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:28 AM   #414
Drew22
Connoisseur
Drew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than momDrew22 loves his/her reader more than mom

@mdp The mobile outfitter idea is not bad at all, though not everyone has such a company in the vicinity, ready to make customised protective screens. Most of such small shops have preordered made in China screens for a limited variety of smartphones and tablets, whereby Max2 surely doesn't count. I wrote to Clear-Coat/Mobile Outfittery in Germany (https://moutfitters.de/clear-coat) asking if they can do it for Max 2 with installation and how much it costs.

The covers that I applied are not to be found on the larger market because the 13,3 inch existing tablets do not have the same length and width with Max2. Both Onyx and Booxtor have to put a special order with manufacturers for the exact measures of Max2, that's the problem. So, I am not talking about the qualities of the material.
Old 05-02-2018, 02:32 AM   #415
Drew22
Connoisseur

@Randy11, You're a truly lucky guy! Or a very precise one.

Thanks, I just want to help others avoid painful experiences. My first tries were in my Room, which was a bad idea. I read your suggestion about the bathroom and it did the trick. Should I have done this from the beginning, I could have spared three covers or so. What a waste!
Old 05-02-2018, 03:07 AM   #416
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
@mdp The mobile outfitter idea is not bad at all, though not everyone has such a company in the vicinity, ready to make customised protective screens. Most of such small shops have preordered made in China screens for a limited variety of smartphones and tablets, whereby Max2 surely doesn't count. I wrote to Clear-Coat/Mobile Outfittery in Germany (https://moutfitters.de/clear-coat) asking if they can do it for Max 2 with installation and how much it costs.

The covers that I applied are not to be found on the larger market because the 13,3 inch existing tablets do not have the same length and width with Max2. Both Onyx and Booxtor have to put a special order with manufacturers for the exact measures of Max2, that's the problem. So, I am not talking about the qualities of the material.
Booxtor wrote that the problem is not the size but the capacitive layer. For the tablets or PC, it's some glass or something like a glass - very hard. Put the protective layer could be done, but what 's happen when the protective layer was removed from the capacitive layer ?
Old 05-02-2018, 04:22 AM   #417
Drew22
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy11 View Post
Booxtor wrote that the problem is not the size but the capacitive layer. For the tablets or PC, it's some glass or something like a glass - very hard. Put the protective layer could be done, but what 's happen when the protective layer was removed from the capacitive layer ?
The capacitive layer is not that sensitive. When you remove the protective layer nothing happens. The silicon based adherent is not damaging the screen during removal, and it does not let any traces behind.
Old 05-02-2018, 04:31 AM   #418
Randy11
Wizard

Quote:
The capacitive layer is not that sensitive. When you remove the protective layer nothing happens. The silicon based adherent is not damaging the screen during removal, and it does not let any traces behind.
Good news ! Thank you for the clarification or to communicate the results of your tests The science is nothing without testing
Old 05-02-2018, 05:04 AM   #419
Drew22
Connoisseur

Quote:

UPDATE: Clear Coat Mobile Outfittery in Germany answered they don't have the right protective screen for Max2. Apparently they don't do customised layers as suggested on the US website. Either they have such a machine only in the US, or they buy templated layers for common smartphone and tablet models as all the others do.

This means one has still to order the protective screens via Internet and install them himself.
Old 05-02-2018, 05:24 AM   #420
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
The covers that I applied are not to be found on the larger market because the 13,3 inch existing tablets do not have the same length and width with Max2. Both Onyx and Booxtor have to put a special order with manufacturers for the exact measures of Max2, that's the problem
Quote:
Clear Coat Mobile Outfittery in Germany answered they don't have the right protective screen for Max2. Apparently they don't do customised layers as suggested on the US website. Either they have such a machine only in the US, or they buy templated layers for common smartphone and tablet models as all the others do
They can also accept sheer dimensions, as in 123x45mm. Only the "warranty" formula "come back anytime and it will be re-applied for a few Euros" becomes unapplicable.
Where I go, they fitted devices they did not have in their database - e.g., round watches of custom size.

Those shops I mentioned (e.g. the "mobile outfitters" ones) have plotters: that's how they use their database, they cut from larger sheets in real time. And the cutting plotters also take custom values.

The real problem you may have is with the rounded corners of the bezel framing the screen.

Quote:
This means one has still to order the protective screens via Internet and install them himself.
Of course not, it means that you can do that or just look around for more available professionals.

Last edited by mdp; 05-02-2018 at 05:34 AM.