Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 01:49 PM   #31
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
I prefer the reverse video mode at night in a dark room. At all other times, I prefer the usual mode.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:36 AM   #32
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
White text on black (on screen at least) seems to be a specific minority taste. But the people who like it really like it. Many coders who look at text on screen all day seem to like it.

I vastly prefer it to normal black text on white. It's much easier on my eyes. But I don't think I'll like it on e-ink, because the black isn't black but very much grey.

White text on black was the norm until the advent of GUI. Movie still often use light on dark GUIs because they look better when photographed.

PS: the obvious reason books aren't printed white text on black is you'd be using vast amounts of ink.
Are you sure, I would have guessed green on black?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 09:58 AM   #33
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
PS: the obvious reason books aren't printed white text on black is you'd be using vast amounts of ink.
It takes no more ink to print in white on black paper than to print in black on white paper. It's simply a case of reversing the usual colours of the ink and the paper.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #34
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Are you sure, I would have guessed green on black?
White, green, or amber phosphors were common, but I don't know percent for each.

DEC VT100 had white and I think IBM terminals were green.

I do know that VT100 could be set for inverse video. I used that because scan lines in the background bothered me a lot less than scan lines in the characters. Most of you probably would not believe how coarse resolution was then.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:03 AM   #35
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: KT, PW2, KO2
Does anybody own a Kobo Aura and / or has experience as to how the Oasis 2 inverted mode compares to Kobo's warm tint night mode?

With night shift on my phone I notice a dramatic difference in my subjective experience at night and wonder if the color temperature of the front light of ereaders might have a similar effect.
I suppose much less than an LCD, but probably still noticeable.

For me the question is: which is more pleasant to read in total darkness, Kobo with night mode, or Oasis 2 with inverted colors?
JFHey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:26 AM   #36
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFHey View Post
For me the question is: which is more pleasant to read in total darkness, Kobo with night mode, or Oasis 2 with inverted colors?
i found the kobo night mode more pleasant in dim light and the oasis inverted mode more pleasant in complete darkness. Since my second kobo aura broke i opted for the ko2. So far no regrets.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 06:35 AM   #37
JFHey
Enthusiast
JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.JFHey turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingo View Post
i found the kobo night mode more pleasant in dim light and the oasis inverted mode more pleasant in complete darkness.
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!!
I assume the Oasis inverted mode emits way less light than Kobo night mode, which in the end is probably easier on the eyes at night than a blue filter.
Do you think so too?
Old 11-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #38
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
That's what I wanted to hear, thanks!!
I assume the Oasis inverted mode emits way less light than Kobo night mode, which in the end is probably easier on the eyes at night than a blue filter.
Do you think so too?
Kobo's also have an invert mode (with a hack), or at least some models/firmwares do.
Old 11-12-2017, 06:25 PM   #39
JFHey
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Kobo's also have an invert mode (with a hack), or at least some models/firmwares do.
I heard that it's not really well implemented, with screen flashing on page turns, ghosting, etc.
It's also said that Amazon had to tweak the hardware for the inverted mode, so I assume it works really well.
Old 11-12-2017, 07:39 PM   #40
John F
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I heard that it's not really well implemented, with screen flashing on page turns, ghosting, etc.
It's also said that Amazon had to tweak the hardware for the inverted mode, so I assume it works really well.
I use it and like it. YMMV.
Old 12-26-2017, 07:32 PM   #41
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Does the inverse video mode also invert images?
Yes, it does.
I shouldn't invert book covers in the library, nor pictures in the book; with the exception of text books that are created using images instead of text...
It makes no sense reading a comic book in negative, nor seeing the cover of a book in negative.

I think they'll need to update that.

Last edited by ProDigit; 12-26-2017 at 07:35 PM.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 02:44 PM   #42
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I shouldn't invert book covers in the library, nor pictures in the book; with the exception of text books that are created using images instead of text...
It makes no sense reading a comic book in negative, nor seeing the cover of a book in negative.

I think they'll need to update that.
inverting the whole screen is a lot simpler than inverting just the text. To do the latter they would have to change the reader software.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote