Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-07-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
SwissBooknut
SwissBooknut began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3 @ 5.8.9
PW3 on 5.8.9... JB before now problem...

Hi all

First post here, so i am trying to do all correct... But please bear with me

So... I had a Kindle 3 Keyboard which i broke the screen. OK... Lets buy the new one and got a PW3.
Tried to load the collections from my Calibre and... Nada.
Quickly learned, that with PW, it is not so easy to get collections... And almost all methods call for a Jailbreak.
OK. So i downgraded and jailbroke it.
Even installed the hotfix afterwards.
All went smooth and no hickups.

Still had problems with Collections... KUAL and co worked only partially (KUAL started but i wasnt able to do anything with it)
Anyway... I then read that AFTER JB we can update as the JB is viral and carries over to new FW-Versions.
So i did what was maybe my downfall:
I updated to 5.8.9
Because now i have a new, big problem: All the .bin-Files just vanish and therefore a downgrade is no longer possible and also tools like Kindlian which rely on "Update your Kindle" from a bin-file are out the window...

Now the questions:
1.: How can i verify now with 5.8.9 that my PW3 is still Jailbroken?
2.: How to create collections from Calibre (prefered) or other means from my 1500+ epubs i have on my PC?

Thanks for insights and ideas!

Edit: Maybe an important info: I did a Reset after updating to 5.8.9 and no luck with .bin-install

Last edited by SwissBooknut; 05-07-2017 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Added info at end
SwissBooknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:39 PM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
1) By trying to install the test dummy package attached to the first post of the jailbreak thread.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=275877

While you are there, read the two sentences immediately above the attachments.

Translation:
With the newer firmware versions, you CAN NOT use UYK to install our packages, you must use MrPI.

You can only use UYK for an Amazon package.

Each time the system is updated, you MUST RE-INSTALL all *.bin files plus anything else that seems to be broken.

- - - -

Since you can not follow the directions to never, ever, use the "Reset" funcition you now have to re-install the "hotfix"

- - - -

This is not a site where following the directions is optional.

- - - -

Plus you are in the wrong forum.

2) You will have to get your Kindle working in a jailbroken state before you tackle this step.

Last edited by knc1; 05-07-2017 at 06:50 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:26 PM   #3
SwissBooknut

Thanks for the input. Sorry for the wrong forum, I thought developer is only for ... well ... Developing and not for manipulating. Thanks for moving.

The dummy-Package does not trigger. As i only had a single folder on my Kindle named "documents" and no "mrpackages" (I had to create this folder), it looks the MrPI was wiped with the reset...

Yeah... I followed another boards instructions (Same content thou but without warning about not to reset).

Will try and follow your link to re-JB it.
Will report back.

And thanks again for the inputs.

Edit:
Oh! And i followed this route before:
https://www.epubor.com/how-to-jailbr...rwhite.html#v5

Edit2:
I dont think it will bear fruit:
Quote:
5.8.7.c.d : Is number larger than 7?
This jailbreak will not work.
and i have 5.8.9
Downloading the factory bin anyway and try.... Desperation

Last edited by SwissBooknut; 05-07-2017 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 PM   #4
SwissBooknut

steps 1-3: All OK
Step 4: Factory-bin loaded to Kindle, ejected, Nothing ahppens even after quite a long while... Also: "Update your Kindle" is greyed out. After reconnecting: factory-Bin is gone.
-->
Quote:
when you check USB storage the file has disappeared, that means this method will not work on the firmware version currently installed on your Kindle.
Step 5: Loading the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz and ";installHtml" in search-bar does appearently nothing (I remember a reboot from the beginning when i did this the first time, no? --> Looks like the certificate is not installed...
Quote:
If this happens to you, stop here and post about the problem, there is no reason to continue if the JB is now missing.
Looks i am out of luck with my 5.8.9?

Maybe a serial-Hack is in order?
Old 05-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #5
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The jailbreak certificate should still be there.

Unless you try to over-write it with a system update image.
- - Luckily your attempts to do that so far have failed, so stop trying before you make things worse. - -

If you don't see an /extensions -
Install KUAL

If you don't see a /mrpackages -
Install MrPI

Both are in archives that all you have to do is un-archive them to the top of the visible USB storage (and have your un-archive tool options set to create directories).

Once you have those things, you must recover from the 'reset' action.
That action not only wiped the jb recovery code, but also the keys required to run KUAL.

Try bringing up KUAL to confirm that it makes an error exit.

Do all of the above (in that order) before even thinking of doing anything else.

Last edited by knc1; 05-07-2017 at 08:08 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 08:32 PM   #6
SwissBooknut

Trying to launch the KUAL-"book" gives me "Not autorised as test-kindle" (in german).
So it really looks the dev-signature is no longer present...

As MrPI is a KUAL-addon, i didnt try this as the base is not working (KUAL).

What i understand:
- KUAL does not work because no developers certificate
- No developers certificate because the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz does not trigger with ";installHtml"
- why the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz does not trigger eludes me a bit...
- *.bin's cannot be used for update/modding because of Firmware 5.8.9 which is > 5.8.7

Edit: The exact problem as logged in crash.txt in developer/KUAL/Work:
Quote:
com.mobileread.ixtab.kindlelauncher.KualKindlet: Target device is not a test device

Last edited by SwissBooknut; 05-07-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:47 PM   #7
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwissBooknut View Post
Trying to launch the KUAL-"book" gives me "Not autorised as test-kindle" (in german).
The expected result.
Quote:
So it really looks the dev-signature is no longer present...
That is what happens when you press the erase button.
Quote:
As MrPI is a KUAL-addon, i didnt try this as the base is not working (KUAL).
I did not ask you to try, I told you to install it.
So install it.
Quote:
What i understand:
- KUAL does not work because no developers certificate
- No developers certificate because the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz does not trigger with ";installHtml"
Wrong.
There is no ";installHtml" function in customer firmware, only in the factory, production line testing firmware.
Quote:
- why the main-htmlviewer.tar.gz does not trigger eludes me a bit...
- *.bin's cannot be used for update/modding because of Firmware 5.8.9 which is > 5.8.7
That is also wrong - there is no connection between our install_*.bin files and Amazon's (other than they use the same installer).

You can not install the factory, production line testing only, firmware build because that is blocked in versions > 5.8.7

You can not install an older customer firmware build because that has been blocked for several years now.

Install KUAL by un-archiving it in the proper place (sounds like you did that).

Install MrPI by un-archiving it in the proper place (sounds like you did not do that yet).
Once you do that, you will have a directory structure below /extensions and a /mrpackages directory.

Get the "hotfix" package (the one whose link is called the "survival code" in step #6.
Open the archive.
Put the "Update_*.bin" package in Kindle:/mrpackages
This "hotfix" package includes the developer keys that you erased, the ones required to make any of our applications work (including KUAL).

Now you are only one (well, two) commands away from fixing the screw-up . . . .
On the Kindle's command line, you need to execute:
Code:
cd /mnt/us/extensions/MRInstaller
sh ./bin/mrinstaller.sh
How you gain access to the Kindle's command line depends on what you had installed before this mess started.

Did you have USBnetworking installed?
Did you have kTerm installed?
Did you have Rescue Pack installed?
If yes, did you also have RP's optional extension Coward's Rescue Pack installed?

Mention anything else that you might have had installed before you broke it with "Reset" ("Erase").

Last edited by knc1; 05-07-2017 at 09:58 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:05 PM   #8
SwissBooknut

OK...
Installed (unpacked) KUAL, MrPI.
Copied hotfix-bin to /mrpackages
Find a complete listing of the folder-structure at https://pastebin.com/ksjeShH2

Never installed USBNetworking or kTerm or rescue Pack or cowards pack

Sounds like i should use one of those packages to be able to run the CMDline... Whats recommended? USBNetworking seems to have a lot of praise...

Edit:
As for what i did before i broke it, pretty much all stated over at https://www.epubor.com/how-to-jailbr...rwhite.html#v5:
- Downgraded to older FW (Same as you linked)
- downloaded and placed main-htmlviewer.tar.gz
- Ran ;installHtm in the search (Thats where it rebooted as far as i remember)
- Downloaded JailBreak-1.14.N-FW-5.x-hotfix.zip and unpacked the .bin-file
- Ran the file Update_jailbreak_hotfix_1.14.N_install.bin via "Update your kindle"
Then, i tried many times to connect and build collections with Calibre... So maybe a few calibre-residues are present?
- Rebooted a few times
- Once i took Reset instead of reboot - The downfall
- Downloaded 5.8.9-Firmware and copied it to Kindle
- Ran the 5.8.9 via "Update your kindle"

Last edited by SwissBooknut; 05-07-2017 at 10:22 PM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:17 PM   #9
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
OK...
Installed (unpacked) KUAL, MrPI.
Copied hotfix-bin to /mrpackages
Find a complete listing of the folder-structure at https://pastebin.com/ksjeShH2

Never installed USBNetworking or kTerm or rescue Pack or cowards pack

Sounds like i should use one of those packages to be able to run the CMDline... Whats recommended? USBNetworking seems to have a lot of praise...
Well, you need a working MrPI to install them, which is what we are trying to fix.

Your only choice then is to enter the two commands from the serial port.
But you only need the serial port long enough to enter those two commands.
So you can use one of the 'no hot solder' ways to attach to the serial port pads.

The "serial port jailbreaking" thread was recently bump'd.
Here it is:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=267541
There are a few others, but that is one of the better ones.

Since your device is not really bricked, it is running normally, you only need the directions for getting the serial port working (probably only the first three parts - it has been a long time since I read it).

Edit:
You will need to go a little bit further in the directions (still going by memory) -
Get the serial port connection working -
Follow the directions to boot the other (diags) operating system -
Then the directions to change the "main" system root password to blank -
At which point you can re-boot to the "main" system -
When it comes back up, just sign in as user: root, password: (just enter return).
Then do the two command line commands given above and it will be fixed.

= = = =

And just a note -
I get upset when people do not follow directions:

Last edited by knc1; 05-08-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:25 PM   #10
SwissBooknut

sorry to make you angry.
If you tell me to do something and i see a deviation on what should happen, i stop and come back.
Will try to do the serial-connection.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:33 PM   #11
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
sorry to make you angry.
If you tell me to do something and i see a deviation on what should happen, i stop and come back.
Will try to do the serial-connection.
That was a joke.

Yes, do it like that, and scroll up - I have been editing my last post to hopefully be more helpful.

Once you get the serial hook-up made, post back, because I will have to make up some more directions for this special case.

Also, there is someone here who recently had to do the same thing, that person can check me on any of the parts I have forgotten.
Old 05-07-2017, 10:50 PM   #12
SwissBooknut

Looking into it. As i am based in Switzerland and Jims Amazon does not ship to me, i have to pay around 30$ for the Serial-board alone... Jees...
Looking for alternative suppliers for a 1.8V UART TTL.
If all else breaks, i build a quick Arduino-Bridge and level-converter... Should be possible...

Edit:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PCS...572439616.html should work
Old 05-07-2017, 11:03 PM   #13
knc1
Going Viral

I have not seen that one before, but it looks like a good choice from the description.
Old 05-07-2017, 11:33 PM   #14
SwissBooknut

ordered... The waiting-game starts
Old 05-08-2017, 01:19 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
ordered... The waiting-game starts
I have used alibaba before, for things big and small.
When using DHL, I can get things from China faster than I can get things from inside of my own country.

Tags
5.8.9, firmware, jailbreak, pw3