Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-25-2016, 09:10 PM   #1141
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
KUAL is a document.
You "install" it the same way you "install" any other document (I.E: copy it to /documents).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 02:08 PM   #1142
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Thanks! Will copying the file into the documents folder brick the kindle if the hotfix has not been applied? Or can I test away, I'm asking because I'm not sure if the hotfix has been applied.
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2016, 02:14 PM   #1143
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miomaz View Post
Thanks! Will copying the file into the documents folder brick the kindle if the hotfix has not been applied? Or can I test away, I'm asking because I'm not sure if the hotfix has been applied.
no.

So apply it again, it will do no harm to install it again if it is already installed.
Lock the door and put away the phone for the few minutes it takes this time.
Old 06-28-2016, 03:25 AM   #1144
T1t0
T1t0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 7th Generation
My first post... First of all many thanks for your hard work to make the kindle a great device!

I jailbreaked my kindle touch on firmware 5.6.5 with your described method. All worked fine. I also installed the hot fix. After applying it, the bin-file was automatically deleted, but I think it also worked.

After that I turned on wifi because I want to get the actual firmware. As described the jailbreak should survive this update?

My problem is, that the update to 5.7.2 or 5.8.1 don't arrives since two days? Do I have to wait or can there be a problem with the jailbreak? Will the jailbreak survive when I install the firmware update manually? Or does the jailbreak only survive an automatic update?

Thanks in advance!
T1t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 03:57 AM   #1145
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
There's no difference between an "over the air" and a manually-installed firmware update. Both do exactly the same thing. Provided you've correctly installed both the JB and the recovery package, the JB will survive the update just fine. It's entirely normal for the update.bin file to vanish after it's been applied.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2016, 06:34 PM   #1146
miomaz
miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.miomaz knows what's going on.

Device: kindle 4.1.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
no.

So apply it again, it will do no harm to install it again if it is already installed.
Lock the door and put away the phone for the few minutes it takes this time.
Doors locked, exploded my phone, Fingers crossed.

Is there any reason I would want to stay at 5.6.5 and not update to a newer firmware version?
miomaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:12 PM   #1147
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by miomaz View Post
Doors locked, exploded my phone, Fingers crossed.

Is there any reason I would want to stay at 5.6.5 and not update to a newer firmware version?
It is a matter of what features you want (or don't want)
You need at least 5.7.2 to have a working VoiceView feature.

Some people do not like the "Wifi password bank" feature of 5.8.2, note that in reply to my questions about 5.8.2 Amazon confirmed that they do not use encrypted storage for what you put on your "Kindle Cloud".
(For instance, google does.)
Old 06-29-2016, 02:23 AM   #1148
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Some people do not like the "Wifi password bank" feature of 5.8.2, note that in reply to my questions about 5.8.2 Amazon confirmed that they do not use encrypted storage for what you put on your "Kindle Cloud".
(For instance, google does.)
Such people can simply choose not to check the box that stores the password on Amazon's servers. It's an optional feature, not compulsory.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:39 AM   #1149
Stiehler
Doctor Who ?
Stiehler began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
Jailbreak working perfectly in Portuguese (Brazil), updated to 5.8.1

Thank You !

Last edited by Stiehler; 07-02-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: Just a Typo
Stiehler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:18 AM   #1150
encol
Evangelist
encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.encol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 5.8.5.0.1
There is a 5.8.2 update? I don't see it on the amazon site
encol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 10:27 AM   #1151
knc1
Going Viral

just a typo
Old 06-30-2016, 02:32 AM   #1152
T1t0
T1t0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 7th Generation
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
There's no difference between an "over the air" and a manually-installed firmware update.
It seems that older Kindles (5th generation) need incremental updates to jump up more than one version at once. You have to install one update after another. LINK

On my 7th generation Kindle I can update directly from 5.6.5 to 5.8.2? Is that right? I can't find the firmware for 5.7.2. LINK
T1t0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 03:11 AM   #1153
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

The current firmware version is 5.8.1, not 5.8.2. Yes, you can upgrade directly from 5.6.5 to 5.8.1.
Old 06-30-2016, 04:51 AM   #1154
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by T1t0 View Post
It seems that older Kindles (5th generation) need incremental updates to jump up more than one version at once. You have to install one update after another. LINK

On my 7th generation Kindle I can update directly from 5.6.5 to 5.8.2? Is that right? I can't find the firmware for 5.7.2. LINK
How to download non-current update packages from the Amazon server is a FGA.

a worked example:
https://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmwar...ndle_5.7.2.bin
based on the url given at the page pointed to by the link quoted (German PW3).

I.E: Just change the version number in the link listed on the download page for your model.

Last edited by knc1; 06-30-2016 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:45 PM   #1155
GreatSyxsuke
Enthusiast
GreatSyxsuke doesn't litterGreatSyxsuke doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Libra 2
I am trying this jailbreak after using the downgrade method released today to get to 5.6.5. I have my KT2 in Airplane Mode and go into the experimental browser and typed in "file:///mnt/us/index.html", which brings up the page. I clicked the I Agree button....and nothing happens. The page doesn't change, no message pops up about it being in Airplane Mode, the title bar doesn't change to say anything. Does it take a long time to work and I'm just not patient? I've waited until the screen times out and still nothing.

Any help would be appreciated.
GreatSyxsuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jailbreak, jailbreaking