Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #121
harriska2
Addict
harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.harriska2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, iPad Pro
Deleted
harriska2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2018, 08:21 PM   #122
bbtan123
bbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tonguebbtan123 can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
Go by what's comfortable with your eyes. I have to turn the screen up high in the evenings as well, so eyes differ - as well as the devices themselves. There isn't really a wrong setting or wrong way to read on it. To me the turned down screen makes it too hard to read unless I'm outdoors during daylight hours.
Haha yes, same sentiments!! I find that by reading outdoors or in the daylight, there's not really a need for any additional light but reading in the night without the additional light might feel more straining on the eyes. I'll just give the other recommendations a shot and see if my eyes can adjust to it. After all like what you said, indeed there's no right or wrong setting!
bbtan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 06:46 AM   #123
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
Just wondering about the new Paperwhite's screen, whether it's more scratch resistant? I think I read somewhere that it was, but maybe I'm wrong.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 09:30 AM   #124
covingtoncat73
Wizard
covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covingtoncat73 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Lenovo Duet Chromebook, Moto e
I got the new Paperwhite this weekend and I'm loving it so far! I don't read for long in the dark before going to bed but I haven't noticed any eyestrain more than normal with the light. I just have to lower the light setting. Yes, the thin box was great. LOL. I am "christening" it with Fools and Mortals by Bernard Cornwell.
covingtoncat73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 AM   #125
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I've seen comments on the battery in the new reviews. I haven't had enough experience yet to know if there are issues. I'm not thinking so, but not sure yet. I'd have to charge to 100% and test. I have charged it a few times since receiving last week. It hasn't gotten to 0%, but it did get to 21% yesterday after reading a few hours. I'll have to test this later.

I also need to just leave it sitting a few hours on wireless at home to finish indexing. A lot of my covers are still missing and all percentages reading progress are out of sync and reset.

Last edited by Paperbackstash; 11-13-2018 at 12:57 PM.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #126
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
So, I received mine today to replace my Voyage that has become unusable. I also have a PW 2 to compare it to. In brief, the PW 4 seems superior to the PW 2 in every way -- smaller, lighter, faster, better screen and light, etc. The Voyage has the clearest screen, but the lighting on the PW is better in that it has less of a color gradient. After the Voyage, I don't want to go back to a recessed screen. I would have been more than happy to keep the Voyage, but I couldn't justify buying another one after the one I had began to deteriorate after two years until it finally became unusable a month or two ago. Solamente mis dos colones.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:13 PM   #127
hwanjongyu
Enthusiast
hwanjongyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20 / Glo HD
It got PW today with Firmware version 5.10.0.2.
But customer font doesn't work.
I copied font to 'fonts' in Kindle and tried open User's Guide but there is not custom in "Aa".
Is there someone like me?
hwanjongyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2018, 11:15 PM   #128
challe232
Connoisseur
challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.challe232 is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I'm just curious what happened to your Voyage? I've had mine a year and thankfully it's still strong. I have two now because their my favourite model:/:/ I'm crazy yes
challe232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 12:13 AM   #129
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwanjongyu View Post
It got PW today with Firmware version 5.10.0.2.
But customer font doesn't work.
I copied font to 'fonts' in Kindle and tried open User's Guide but there is not custom in "Aa".
Is there someone like me?
See here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=121
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:30 AM   #130
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
Just wondering about the new Paperwhite's screen, whether it's more scratch resistant? I think I read somewhere that it was, but maybe I'm wrong.
In nine years and more Kindles than I should have bought I never had a screen get scratched. How do you scratch the screen of a Paperwhite?
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 AM   #131
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
In nine years and more Kindles than I should have bought I never had a screen get scratched. How do you scratch the screen of a Paperwhite?
Use it without a case (something I'd never do!) and put it screen-down on an abrasive surface?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 08:44 AM   #132
induna
Addict
induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.induna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, 505, 600, 350, T1 Amazon Kindle PW1, PW2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by challe232 View Post
I'm just curious what happened to your Voyage? I've had mine a year and thankfully it's still strong. I have two now because their my favourite model:/:/ I'm crazy yes
After about 1.5 years, I noticed that the matte plastic finish on the back and sides started to flake off. This got worse and worse as time went on. I could live with that -- it's not like I stare at the back of my reader -- but the little black plastic flakes it kept leaving behind weren't all that great. The fatal flaw began earlier this year. I noticed that the text in the lower corners of the screen looked faded. This was particularly visible on the startup image and the screen savers. This problem progressed rapidly to the point that now the 3 or so bottom most lines of text are very difficult to read, although the top and middle of the screen are still perfect. All in all, rather disappointing in a $250 product.
induna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:24 AM   #133
hwanjongyu
Enthusiast
hwanjongyu began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra H20 / Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
This firmware is working for custome font.
I couldn’t believe it that release firmware has such problem.
Thanks anyway.

Last edited by hwanjongyu; 11-15-2018 at 07:12 AM.
hwanjongyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:32 AM   #134
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Quote:
I know you weren't talking to me, but I thought I would answer. You are not crazy. I wish I had bought another Voyage while they were available. My Voyage was 20 months old. I kept it in a case by my reading chair. Never traveled. Never dropped. It looks brand new. It worked great until it didn't. One morning I got up and it wouldn't come on. I just had the tree screen. It blinks once in a while but won't do anything else. I charged it for over 24 hours. I tried resetting it several times. I tried connecting it to my computer, but nothing helped. So I sent it back as a trade in. I am going to buy the Paperwhite because I like the flush screen and I am not going to spend the money on a premium reader again. I could buy a refurbished Voyage, but I would rather take the 25% off the Paperwhite.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2018, 09:54 AM   #135
Kolja
Zealot
Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolja ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Not crazy. I just bought my third new one when it was briefly available on Amazon this week because it is now officially discontinued. My first, purchased at launch, has a small pinhole of light but is otherwise fine. My second is like new. I don't need another Kindle, but the Voyage is the best Kindle in my opinion and I want to have one as long as possible.
Kolja is offline   Reply With Quote