Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 09-18-2018, 05:17 PM   #1
jenni fuentes
jenni fuentes began at the beginning.

Device: sigil
Error with links

Hello everyone.
I need help with my Epub that I'm editing with Sigil.
The problem is with the links that I have put. When I save the file it gives me "error".
I have a screenshot of the error, but it is in Spanish, but i translated.

This Epub contains HTML files that are not correct and the current configuration of "clean code" is automatically correct when saving. Saving a file that is not correct causes it to be corrected automatically, which can rarely cause data loss. Do you want to correct the files automatically before saving?
jenni fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
That usually means there is a parceing or syntax error

Opening and closing tags do not match, semicolon or colon where the other belongs...
Try and switch each file to Book view, The one(s) with errors will refuse and pop a more specific error message that includes the line number that the error was detected (the actual error may be before this point)

BTW The message says Sigil can try to auto fix the issue,but warns it might get it wrong. Your choice (I try to manual fix unknowns rather than roll the dice. )
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-18-2018, 06:33 PM   #3
jenni fuentes

I'm trying to fix it manually, but I do not understand it. I am new to this program.
If I try "auto", then can I go back if I lose data?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:32 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni fuentes View Post
I'm trying to fix it manually, but I do not understand it. I am new to this program.
If I try "auto", then can I go back if I lose data?
Make a backup.
Lost, is lost or just really messed up.
BUT Usually, you just end up with a stray block of text with a messed up style applied.

Note: broken code is broken code. This is not a Sigil only issue.
Something is wrong.
It could be as simple as a stray </div>. A <span> pair is now broken .

The pink error boxes in Preview/Bookview tell more
Old 09-18-2018, 07:49 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
If it's a malformed xhtml issue (as the translation of the message seems to indicate it is), the Well-Formed Check EPUB tool (either via the Tools menu, or the F7 shortcut) should give some specific locations to look.

If there's a lot, you'll need to fix them manually and rerun the F7 Check again, until there are no more well-formed errors left (if you don't want to take your chances with the automatic Mend).

In the future, try leaving the Preview Window open when making manual html edits. It will let you know there's an issue with what you typed immediately. That way, they won't snowball on you and leave you flabbergasted when you go to save.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-18-2018 at 08:02 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-19-2018, 04:30 AM   #6
jenni fuentes

Hello again. Now I'm worse. I have put the code view to try to fix it manually, and I do not know what the error is.
I try to return to the book view, and it does not leave me anymore. I get a new error window.
The operation that you have requested can not be performed because "capitulo1.xhtml" is not a correct XML document.
An error was found on line 73: Tokenizer error with an unimplemented error message.

really, I need help. Thanks
Old 09-19-2018, 05:41 AM   #7
jenni fuentes

Ok, I have already been able to leave the "code view"
The errors are the links that I put in the Epub.
I think I've done well, following the tutorials I've seen, but I'm wrong, too.
How can I put the links correctly?
Thank you very much for helping me.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:17 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenni fuentes View Post
Ok, I have already been able to leave the "code view"
The errors are the links that I put in the Epub.
I think I've done well, following the tutorials I've seen, but I'm wrong, too.
How can I put the links correctly?
Thank you very much for helping me.
A picture (or code snippet) is worth a 1000 woids

Please post the indicated line of code here (Use CODE tags, the hash mark icon in the forums advanced edit mode)
Old 09-19-2018, 02:29 PM   #9
jenni fuentes

I can not put this chapter in read view. He does not let me do anything. As much as you put "automatic" it keeps giving error.
I've saved the entire Epub to check and no link is seen in the Epub.
thank you very much
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error sigil2.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	396.4 KB
ID:	166401  

Last edited by theducks; 09-19-2018 at 03:24 PM. Reason: removed oversize inline image. Attachments are all that is needed
Old 09-19-2018, 03:31 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Look at the end of line 73 all those entities don't belong, they should be (closing) TAGS
Somewhere along the line, you got the tags out of balance and auto-fix got it wrong . It may have started out as simple as the order of the closing tag was place after instead of before (you closed an outer tag before the inner tag)

Nest order is very important (a good reason to keep your code 'pretty' )
Old 09-19-2018, 03:57 PM   #11
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
@jenni fuentes: Your <a> tags with website links have the wrong attributes.

Double-check all <a> tags and make sure that they only have an href attribute. For example:

Quote:
<a href="https://www.mobileread.com">MobileRead</a>

Last edited by Doitsu; 09-19-2018 at 04:10 PM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 PM   #12
jenni fuentes

thank you, thank you so much, really!! already solved!!
without you, I would not have managed to fix it.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:44 AM   #13
jenni fuentes

Sorry, one question more! What´s mean <br/>?
I know that <p its paragraph and <a> its anchor? But <br/>??
Old 09-20-2018, 06:11 AM   #14
BeckyEbook
Guru
BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeckyEbook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Misc
This tag is used to create a line break and is analogous to a carriage return. The flow of the display of the text and any images is halted on the current line, and the flow resumes on the next line starting at the left margin.
BeckyEbook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 AM   #15
theducks
Well trained by Cats

<br />
Breaks the line, but does not start a new block. It works wit Block level tags
I use it on long chapter titles
Code:
<h3> Chapter 5 <br />A very long winded title</h3>
Chapter 5
A very long winded title

Setting a larger line height for the <h3> will space the line further apart on many devices

Tags
ebook, epub, error, links, sigil