Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats

Notices

Old 04-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #1
aquarianx
aquarianx began at the beginning.

Device: none
.orb ebook format

Hi,
I have some technical books in the .orb format. These are fairly new books so it is not an old format. There is a fairly crappy reader for windows which requires flash player to be pre-installed to work.
I use Mac and I've not come across this format before. Any help with opening / converting would be welcome. Thanks.
aqx
aquarianx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquarianx View Post
Hi,
I have some technical books in the .orb format. These are fairly new books so it is not an old format. There is a fairly crappy reader for windows which requires flash player to be pre-installed to work.
I use Mac and I've not come across this format before. Any help with opening / converting would be welcome. Thanks.
aqx
what is the name of the supplied application that is used to read this format? Our wiki article on flash player might help. The format used by flash is SWF as described in the wiki.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2013, 09:32 PM   #3
aquarianx

Thanks for the reply.

The reader is called original book reader. I doubt it is openly available.

I have changed extension to swf, but no luck.
Old 05-01-2013, 11:11 AM   #4
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Thanks for the reply.

The reader is called original book reader. I doubt it is openly available.

I have changed extension to swf, but no luck.
Ah, it is very likely DRM protected in addition to a unique form. Orb obviously stands for original book reader. I would suggest the only way to change the format of this book is screen captures of pages. However, if the book is copyrighted you may be breaking laws in doing this for too many pages or for the wrong reasons. Is this a rented book or a text book? We at mobile read do not support or condone breaking copyright laws.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:18 PM   #5
ellyzeyn
ellyzeyn began at the beginning.

Device: note 2
Change the .orb extension to the .zip then extract it. There will be files with the extension gau or whatever. Change them to .swf I could find only these. I couldn't find a way to convert flash files to pdf or image files.
ellyzeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #6
aquarianx

Thank you very much. I can at least open them on my mac os now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyzeyn View Post
Change the .orb extension to the .zip then extract it. There will be files with the extension gau or whatever. Change them to .swf I could find only these. I couldn't find a way to convert flash files to pdf or image files.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
aquarianx

Any news on a proper reader for these files on mac OS? Really desperate for a proper working solution. Thanks.
Old 05-25-2013, 05:30 AM   #8
flapit2004
flapit2004 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Unhappy

Quote:
Any news on a proper reader for these files on mac OS? Really desperate for a proper working solution. Thanks.
Not even mention some app for iPad o iPhone....
Really need some kind of software for this file extension on Apple devices...

Thanks...

Last edited by flapit2004; 06-28-2013 at 11:36 PM.
flapit2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
muppetzzz
muppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermuppetzzz can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: android
This guys .orb format smelt fishy so i did some research on it.
He is trying to monopolize this ebook format to maximize profit ad minimize sharing.

LWW has not made a .orb format at all. He has hired someone to create a reader based on his request as can be seen from this web page

http://www.freelancer.com/projects/S...ok-Reader.html

Hopefully someone can reverse the pdf>swf conversion which i think he hs done via the swf tools
Adobe acrobat is able to combine individual swf files into one pdf file, however, each page has to be done individually and is very slow.
muppetzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:41 AM   #10
mobius_one
mobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: ipad
steps to convert.orb

Hi, same here i got some books with .orb format.
I follow the steps ellyzeyn mention:
Quote:
ellyzeyn:
and then i use Kurst SWF Renderer to convert the .swf files to .png files.
After i have multiple .png files correspond to the swf files.
Open the .png files with preview in mac and export to PDF.
Use automator to combine the multiple PDF files into single PDF file.
Use any OCR software to OCR the PDF file.
The finished PDF file size would increase 5-10 times or more depending on the image content and content scale in .swf conversion.
I hope this help in any way.
thank you.
mobius_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
aquarianx

Thank you for that.

The conversion from swf to png using Kurst SWF renderer results in very low quality files, especially for text. Are there any tweaks?
aqx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobius_one View Post
Hi, same here i got some books with .orb format.
I follow the steps ellyzeyn mention:

and then i use Kurst SWF Renderer to convert the .swf files to .png files.
After i have multiple .png files correspond to the swf files.
Open the .png files with preview in mac and export to PDF.
Use automator to combine the multiple PDF files into single PDF file.
Use any OCR software to OCR the PDF file.
The finished PDF file size would increase 5-10 times or more depending on the image content and content scale in .swf conversion.
I hope this help in any way.
thank you.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #12
aquarianx

I seem to have a working set-up for macosx.

Step 1: Rename the .orb file to .zip

Step 2: Extract files to single folder. This yields a folder with .swf files in numerical order.

Step 3: Change the extension of all the files to .swf. I used A better finder rename for this.

Step 4: Using Kurst swf renderer, batch convert all the swf files to png.
a) Open swf renderer.
b) Click "select swf" and select all the png files
c) click "select folder" and choose a folder to save the converted files
d) Change content scale to 2
e) Set background to transparent
f) Change "stop exporting" setting to "when last frame is reached" and uncheck "export swfs to sub folders"
g) Click "Start Capture". All swf files are converted into png files in one folder.

Step 5: Select all the png files and open with preview. cmd + a to select all the files in the side frame. Print into pdf as single pdf file.

A 20mb orb file becomes a 160mb pdf file, but I suppose this would depend on factors such as number of images. Text heavy files don't inflate too much in size. Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by aquarianx; 06-10-2013 at 05:15 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 06-10-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
mobius_one
mobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texanmobius_one might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: ipad
Converting .orb ebook is not perfect but better than nothing

Thank you, aquarianx for describing the steps better.
I use 2x to 3x scaling for good result.
If anyone have other ways to convert .orb ebook files please share.
I believe this is not the only way.

Thank you again.
mobius_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:56 AM   #14
aquarianx

Quicker options to convert swf to pdf / jpg / png would be welcome.
aqx
Old 06-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #15
trebloc
trebloc began at the beginning.

Device: nexus
I followed the steps above but the Kurst SWF Renderer won't convert the SWF into PNG one by one. Instead it converts the first SWF filw into multiple PNG (1560 times to be exact, which is the number of pages in the book), then starts converting 2.SWF into multiple PNG files, etc etc.

Anyone please tell me what I've done wrong?
trebloc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
.orb, mac orb file, orb, orb file to pdf