Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 10-31-2018, 09:55 AM   #331
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
Delphi Classics has a free collection of classical horrorstories.
get it here
Thanks for that! I snatched a copy. (I hope I don't regret registering with Delphi for the free book.)
ZodWallop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 05:43 PM   #332
BetterRead
Addict
BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Thanks for that! I snatched a copy. (I hope I don't regret registering with Delphi for the free book.)
Why would you regret it?

There are a number of other free eBooks available, such as Masters of Gothic Horror. It contains 14 selections, including The Castle of Otranto, Frankenstein, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, and Dracula.

https://www.delphiclassics.com/shop/...gothic-horror/

http://www.delphiclassics.com/produc...ree-downloads/
BetterRead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:34 AM   #333
svenlind
Fanatic
svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.svenlind ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Kobo Sage and Libra 2,Ipad mini 5
Quote:
I have been with Delphi Classics for a long time.

They send a mail when they have something new. About once or twice a month.

It is IMO a very decent firm and I am sure you can deregister if you like.
svenlind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 02:11 PM   #334
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRead View Post
Why would you regret it?
The never ending battle with spam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenlind View Post
I have been with Delphi Classics for a long time.

They send a mail when they have something new. About once or twice a month.
Right on. Thanks for the reassurance.
Old 11-03-2018, 11:48 AM   #335
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Apparently I'm signed up with them as my computer filled in my information. I don't remember getting unduly spammed.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 12:23 PM   #336
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
I don't remember getting unduly spammed.
Nope; in my experience, Delphi does not send spam emails.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:07 AM   #337
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Douglas Clegg's You Come When I Call You is $0.99 at Amazon.

Quote:
An epic tale of horror, spanning twenty years in the lives of four friends; witnesses to unearthly terror.

The high desert town of Palmetto, California, has turned toxic after twenty years of nightmares. In Los Angeles, a woman is tormented by visions from a chilling past, and a man steps into a house of torture. On the steps of a church, a young woman has been sacrificed in a ritual of darkness. In New York, a cab driver dreams of demons while awake. And a man who calls himself the Desolation Angel has returned to draw his old friends back to their hometown; a town where, two decades earlier, three boys committed the most brutal of rituals, an act of such intense savagery that it has ripped apart their minds. And where, in a cavern in a place called No Man's Land, something has been waiting a long time for those who stole something more precious than life itself.
Clegg is a writer that I always thought should be more popular. It's rare to see one of his books for a buck. I've had this one on my TBR pile for a while.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #338
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

An interesting suggestion from BookBub:

Only the Devil is Here - $1.99

Quote:
When six year-old Evan is kidnapped from his foster home, he is dragged into a world of shadows, monsters, and fire. At first, all Evan can think about is how to escape from his violent captor, a man who calls himself Rook; but Evan quickly learns that Rook is the only person with the power to protect him against a host of more horrible dangers. As Rook's true nature is revealed through mysterious, magical acts, Evan must wonder if Rook is indeed a person or rather a monster himself.

Pursued across the wintery Southern Ontario countryside, with the baying of police dogs at their heels and deeper horrors lurking in the woods, the orphan boy and the roguish man begin to understand each other. Evan admits that he also has mysterious, magical powers, but doesn't know how to control them. Rook becomes more intrigued with the boy, and Evan, a child that has never felt at home, begins to believe in a place where he belongs--with Rook.
I haven't read the book yet. But based on the (two) reviews, I did buy it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 11-14-2018 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:05 AM   #339
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Another interesting sounding read from BookBub (maybe subscribing wasn't such a good idea?):

Night Society by Ambrose Ibsen is $0.99 at Amazon

Quote:
In a boring suburb, three lonely men seeking distractions from their monotonous routines get together in an abandoned house to play a macabre game of show-and-tell.

Nothing is off-limits in their little circle—anything, no matter how depraved, is welcome... so long as it's frightening.

But when one member brings what sounds like an audio recording of an actual murder to a meeting, featuring the tortured screams and pleas of an anonymous woman, the jaded club members find themselves truly rattled.

From that moment, the horrific audio—and strange visions of the recorded victim—begin to seep into their daily lives. Agonized cries and sobs are heard in otherwise empty rooms. Shadowed figures lurk in unlit corners. Somehow, the mysterious victim is reaching out to them from beyond death.

Or is she? Digging deeper, they begin to suspect they're being led back to the abandoned house by something else—something that seeks to consume them, body and soul.

And if they aren't careful, it'll get its way.
It sounds a little like Peter Straub's excellent Ghost Story. But for $0.99, I gave it a chance. I had a $1 credit at Amazon anyway
Old 11-16-2018, 09:27 AM   #340
ReadingManiac
Genre Jumper
ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ReadingManiac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paperwhite
Quote:
Douglas Clegg's You Come When I Call You is $0.99 at Amazon.

Clegg is a writer that I always thought should be more popular. It's rare to see one of his books for a buck. I've had this one on my TBR pile for a while.
This sounds really good actually. The sale is long past but I'll try the sample and see if it needs to go on my ereaderiq.
ReadingManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 03:40 PM   #341
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadingManiac View Post
This sounds really good actually. The sale is long past but I'll try the sample and see if it needs to go on my ereaderiq.
It's on sale again. This time it's $2.08.

Clegg isn't one of those writers whose work is always going on sale.
Old 11-17-2018, 01:02 PM   #342
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Free at Amazon: When The Tik-Tik Sings by Doug Lamoreux.

Quote:
In a sleepy, historical Iowa town, tourist season is in full swing, and the strangest serial killer the world has ever known is roaming at will.

It begins with a mysterious house explosion, a severely burned man, and an unidentified female body. More victims follow, each killed under the oddest circumstances, each bearing an identical but unidentified wound, each attack accompanied by the most eerie, musical ticking.

When the lead homicide investigator goes missing, Police Sergeant Erin Vanderjagt is forced into the fray and into a personal hell she never imagined. Who is behind the bizarre deaths?

And as the murders continue, what can Erin do, where can she go, how can she fight the horror... When the Tik-Tik Sings?

I have Doug on my ereaderiq list because I'm watching for price drops on two Gothic horror novels he wrote: Dracula's Demeter and The Devil's Bed.

Tik-Tik looks like a different kind of novel altogether, but you can't beat the price.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #343
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Another BookBub find: Forsaken by J.D. Barker is $0.99. It's a debut novel and it's about witches, which you don't see much in horror fiction anymore.

Quote:
When horror author Thad McAlister began his latest novel, a tale rooted in the witch trials of centuries past, the words flowed effortlessly. The story poured forth, filling page after page with the most frightening character ever to crawl from his imagination. It was his greatest work, one that would guarantee him a position among the legends of the craft.

But was it really fiction?

He inadvertently opened a door, one that would soon jeopardize the lives of his family.

She wants to come back.

At home, his wife struggles to keep their family alive. Secretly wondering if she caused it all…a deal she made long ago. A deal with the Forsaken.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:58 AM   #344
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Dan Simmons' Summer of Night is $1.99. I've had this on my TBR list for quite a while.

Quote:
It's the summer of 1960 and in the small town of Elm Haven, Illinois, five twelve-year-old boys are forging the powerful bonds that a lifetime of change will not break. From sunset bike rides to shaded hiding places in the woods, the boys' days are marked by all of the secrets and silences of an idyllic middle-childhood. But amid the sundrenched cornfields their loyalty will be pitilessly tested. When a long-silent bell peals in the middle of the night, the townsfolk know it marks the end of their carefree days. From the depths of the Old Central School, a hulking fortress tinged with the mahogany scent of coffins, an invisible evil is rising. Strange and horrifying events begin to overtake everyday life, spreading terror through the once idyllic town. Determined to exorcize this ancient plague, Mike, Duane, Dale, Harlen, and Kevin must wage a war of blood—against an arcane abomination who owns the night...
Old 11-19-2018, 11:06 AM   #345
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Stephen King's fantastic short story collection Night Shift is $2.99. Skeleton Crew is probably my favorite of his collections, but Night Shift is a close second. Graveyard Shift, I Am The Doorway, The Mangler, Boogeyman, Gray Matter, Battleground, Trucks, Quitters, Inc. and Children of the Corn are all favorites from there.

Quote:
More than twenty-five stories of horror and nightmarish fantasy transform everyday situations into experiences of compelling terror in the worlds of the living, the dying, and the nonliving.