Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 06:02 PM   #16
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
I often do this, too. I asked a psychologist friend about this once, and as we were talking about it, it came up that not only are more of our brains engaged when reading, but we also have a sense of our responsibility in the interaction with the story, and that can feel overwhelming. In a movie, it continued, no matter how I feel (unless I press stop). With a book, there’s a sense of me feeling responsible, because I’m the one moving the story forward by reading it. So some of it could be feeling overwhelmed by the story itself, but some of it likely is us feeling complicit in whatever’s about to happen in the story.

I like that explanation. I often find myself when reading a horror story or thriller reminding myself it’s not my fault, lol. I definitely put books down too for a few minutes til I am ready to pick them up again. My ereader stats probably think I’m crazy or stupid for these reading habits, oh well.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2018, 12:03 AM   #17
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakini View Post
With a book, there’s a sense of me feeling responsible, because I’m the one moving the story forward by reading it.
That part sounds highly interesting. It probably also explains why 1st person narrative is more personal than 3rd person. The former allows me to become the person, while the latter transforms me into a simple bystander that doesn't do anything. If it is mixed it becomes a little bit annoying to me - e.g. 3rd person narrative with inside thoughts that a bystander cannot actually know (e.g. motive for action). I prefer 1st person as there is little way for the author to cheat.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote