Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-08-2010, 02:20 PM   #1
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
How many books do you read in a year?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Couldnt find anything recent.

I'm expecting to see a few triple digit numbers
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
This year so far 144. From 2005 to 2009 my average is 300.2 per year (one year in there was way above normal otherwise the avg would probably be closer to 225-250), not including short stories (unless it was an entire novel length collection/anthology). I do re-read favorites quite a bit.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 06-08-2010 at 05:06 PM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm just estimating here, but based on an average of just 2 books a week (I've been busy lately) that's a bit over 100. When my life is saner, probably double that.

That's not counting browsing around in tech books, because I'm not sure how to rate them. If I read 1/4 each of 4 different CSS books, does that count as 1 book or 4?
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:06 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Probably around 15 or so. I read 1-2 books a month on average as I pretty much only do leisure reading (not counting reading news online etc.) 30-60 minutes before sleeping.

I do a lot of reading for work--but not many books. Mostly research articles, student papers, text book chapters when writing lectures etc.

All that work reading (and writing) tends to burn me out on reading, so I have a lot of other hobbies that get prioritized over reading in my precious free time--social outings, beer, movies, sports, tv shows, hiking etc.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 03:13 PM   #5
tehKitten
Enthusiast
tehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enoughtehKitten will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Just a few, I think 20-25 a year, but that will soon change if I'm going to translate books! (Because before I translate, I have to read them )
tehKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
AlbertaCowboy
Guru
AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlbertaCowboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350, PRS-650, iPhone 6, NVIDIA Shield K1
Another estimation, but I'd say that I read between 200-250 books a year (3-5 books per week or so), however I do re-read old favorites as well.
AlbertaCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:51 PM   #7
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
I'd estimate 2 to 3 books a week, so call it 125 or so.
Lately I haven't felt as much like reading new books, so I've been revisiting and reading the best parts of old favorites. It is hard to count those.

I have also scanned a few old paperbacks and now I'm working on correcting OCR errors before I load them into my digital library. That's also kind of semi-reading.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #8
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I'm outing me as a "not so many books" reader. Probably 1 book per 2-3 months. I read quite some magazines, but for photography, there's not too much going on with eInk and color pictures, so those are "off-reader". Not sure if magazines count at all.

What I really wanted to know is, how do you all read like 2-3 books a week? Even if I'm reading fast (well, what I would call fast for me....) I guess I would have to spend a lot of time per week to get up to 2-3 books. I mean I've got family, a job, etc.... ???
Please help me out here
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
About 50 per year.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #10
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Hard to say. What counts as a "book?" Fictionwise sells "ebooks" that are 2300-word stories.

I read a lot of fanfiction, which is usually measured in word counts. Last week, one of my favorite authors posted a new story that was 190,000 words. I'd count that as a book. Yesterday, another author I like posted a new story that's 8500 words. I don't think I should count that as a book. But if she posts several of them in a series, is that a "book?" And on the other hand, Fictionwise & Smashwords both sell "books" that have less than 5000 words in them.

When my tastes were more settled on mainstream books, I read about 2-5 per week, depending on how much leisure time I had. I read the same amount now, but it's harder to describe.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #11
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I read about a book a week so about 52 a year.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #12
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_73 View Post
What I really wanted to know is, how do you all read like 2-3 books a week? Even if I'm reading fast (well, what I would call fast for me....) I guess I would have to spend a lot of time per week to get up to 2-3 books. I mean I've got family, a job, etc.... ???
Please help me out here
Well according to my husband I read too much (his opinion). Then I point I that I probably spend less time reading in an evening than he spends watching John Stewart/Steven Colbert and Southpark. I read at breakfast, over lunch, and often before bed.

I do read pretty fast, especially if it is popular fiction without many big words that I have to think hard over. I always have - when I was in school my teachers would sometimes accuse me of lying about having read the assigned books because I would finish them so fast.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Well, thinking of a "book" in the way I have traditionally thought of a "book", I'd say 60,000 to 150,000 words is a "book" with most in the 90,000 word range average.

Before I got the Kindle 2 on Nov 20 2009, I'd say I averaged reading 1 book or less a year for the past decade. I read a lot -- not just books. Since then, I've read abt 40 books.

I'm guessing I'd likely read 40 to 60 in a given year going forward.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 PM   #14
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. Couldnt find anything recent.

I'm expecting to see a few triple digit numbers
Based on the number I've read so far this year, just under 200.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 06:29 PM   #15
PKFFW
Wizard
PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PKFFW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook, Sony PRS-T1, Kobo H2O
I read about 1 every week to 10 days. Would like to read more but it's hard to do while practicing Kung Fu, rock climbing and bike riding which are my other passions. Just wish there were more hours in each day!

Cheers,
PKFFW
PKFFW is offline   Reply With Quote