Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-11-2010, 01:29 PM   #1
chedva
chedva began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook touch
Question I'm confused!

OK, so I'm the proud owner of a new PRS-600, and I'm totally confused! I keep going to the sites recommended on these boards to buy some books (like cyberread.com, fictionwise.com, etc.) and I can't figure out what books will work with my device!

I know that there are ways to convert formats, strip DRMs, etc., but right now I'm just looking for a place to buy some books, cheaper than the Reader Store, that I can download & move to my PRS 600 without hassle.

1) How do I tell whether an Adobe PDF, for example, is protected so I'll be wasting my money? Or if an ePub is protected?

2) Any sites that sell books that I don't need to convert? The cheaper the better?

3) Any general info would be helpful, too!

Thanks!
chedva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Your 600 can read DRMed ePubs and PDFs. Make sure your Reader is ADE authorized. If you have Adobe Digital Editions and the Reader Library on your computer you should be fine. The Reader Library will recognize your Reader and authorize it. Digital Editions doesn't seem to recognize the newer Readers for some reason. On your 600 check "Settings" and "About" to see if it's authorized.

Edit: Maybe it's only Adobe Digital Edition on the Mac that doesn't recognize the newer Readers.

Edit: For clarification, in "About" your device should say: This device is authorized for reading and purchasing Adobe DRM content.

Last edited by SCION; 02-11-2010 at 02:01 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #3
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Hello

My recommendation would be to start with the mobile read forum content - here. For the PRS600, I'd recommend filtering by "Sony BBeB" also called "LRF" format, which will probably look best.

I'm currently reading Alexandre Dumas' novels about D'Artagnan (this page, which I would recommend (and for which HarryT has done a superb job on the formatting).

For purchasing books, I would recommend ePUB or LRF format - ePUB is the format that Sony are moving to long term, and is the favourite for a market standard. Many people prefer the way that LRF looks on the page. If you start with the mobile read content, that's free, you'll get an idea of which formats you prefer. I would avoid PDF personally, because it doesn't reflow (make the text bigger/smaller and rejig the page) well.

You can convert formats using a free tool called calibre, which is excellent (and which many people, including me, use instead of the Sony software). This can't convert, however, if the file is protected (DRM), which many purchased ebooks are. There's a forum here where you can find out all about that.

Where to buy ebooks depends on where you are (different countries have different access to books), and what you like.

Good luck!
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #4
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
Any site that sells 'Adobe ePub' or 'Adobe Digital Editions' (PDF) will work on your 600, the only exception is ebooks from Barnes & Noble. As long as you stick with ePub and PDF there will be no conversion required.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:14 PM   #5
Ben Thornton
Guru
Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ben Thornton ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 2 (but not for e-books)
Another thing - if and when you do get around to buying a book in ePub, install Adobe Digital Editions first (free, from here), and register your reader to it (by connecting it to your PC - the Adobe software detects it IIRC).

When you buy a book, you will then (sometimes) get a file which then opens with Adobe Digital Editions, which downloads the book and displays it. You can then copy the book, which will be in "My Digital Editions" within "Documents" on Windows, to your reader (using the Sony software, calibre or even explorer).
Ben Thornton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
You might also want to check your local library online to see if they carry a decent collection of ebooks.

If you don't have a library card, you would need to get one in order to download.

You'd want the epub or pdf version.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
As far as bookstores (if you are in the US, you don't have your location info showing) I like Kobo http://www.kobobooks.com/ and a good search engine to find books is http://www.inkmesh.com/ .

I prefer ePub as a format.... simply because it looks like it will be the standard for a while.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #8
chedva
chedva began at the beginning.

Device: sony ebook touch
Thanks, all. I'll try everything listed (and I've updated my location - I'm here in the States).

There's just so much to learn!
chedva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
erasure25
Connoisseur
erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.erasure25 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950; PRS-505
BooksOnBoard.com has a pretty good FAQ/help section that tells you what formats work on which devices.

http://www.booksonboard.com/index.php?F=help

In general, the Adobe ePub format works with all Sony Readers, including your 600. If you buy from them, you need to make sure you are getting the Adobe ePub format. They will also let you test download an actual ebook for free to make sure you are doing it correctly (they have a couple of free tester books).

Last edited by erasure25; 02-11-2010 at 07:09 PM.
erasure25 is offline   Reply With Quote