Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-05-2010, 02:06 PM   #31
ciscoswitch
Enthusiast
ciscoswitch began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I tried all kinda of things to try to repair the database, I had 6 different backups of it, and wasn't able to get any to work. I also compared a couple of the backup databases to a new one that I had calibre create, and it looks identical. I tried exporting data only and importing it into the new, but it would get errors.. Finally I gave up and tried the reccomended Save to Disk option, with my older version of Calibre that would still read the database. Then I imported them into a new Database. That worked, though it's short about 100 books, but it's better than loosing everything.

Thanks for your help, and again sorry about my flame's, I was just getting really frustrated with it.
ciscoswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 09:51 PM   #32
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad you got it (partly) working and just FYI there'll be a couple of changes to make upgrading the database schema more robust in the future.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2010, 09:52 PM   #33
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciscoswitch View Post
Finally I gave up and tried the reccomended Save to Disk option, with my older version of Calibre that would still read the database. Then I imported them into a new Database. That worked, though it's short about 100 books, but it's better than loosing everything
This is my backup strategy.
Note: The below method will not backup custom recipes, they are stored in the metadata.db file. I save all of my custom recipes separate from Calibre but I wanted folks to know the limitation of this backup option.
  • I use the Save to Disk option in Calibre (ensuring both Save cover separately and Save metadata in OPF file are checked) to save my books in a backup directory.
  • Every time I add/update any books I select them and use Save to Disk to save them to my backup directory.
  • If I ever need to restore from a catastrophic failure I just reinstall Calibre and point it to a new Library folder and import the books. All the metadata, covers, tags, series etc... are recreated perfectly.
I have actually restored a couple of times to test this setup and my library has always past the disaster recovery test.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 01:35 PM   #34
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
This is my backup strategy.
My daily backup strategy is to backup the calibre library directory with a sync program. The library has the same books in it that your backup has in it (but with a different name - the name that calibre stores them in), plus the metadata.db file(which has the recipes). The sync program is set to do a one-way sync.

It scans the files in the calibre source library, then only copies the new ones into the destination directory (and deletes any deleted books). I also backup metadata.db separately (it's small, so I keep six copies). Sync backups go through the LAN to another computer/drive. I keep a separate monthly backup using a more conventional backup program.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote